Windshield wiper switch broken by burntwood
Started on: 07-23-2014 04:36 PM
Replies: 7 (503 views)
Last post by: burntwood on 08-01-2014 10:58 PM
burntwood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burntwoodSend a Private Message to burntwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's required in NC to get an inspection. When I went to get the Fiero done, the dude's cargo shorts pocket caught onto the turn-signal stock and bent/broke it. After replacing the stock, I found that he also broke the wiper switch casting inside the column... >:-\
Calling around to Auto stores and dealerships, it's no longer made and no one has one on stock. It does show up on sites like Advance Auto, but it says it's unavailable.
I'm seeing plenty of switches on Ebay, but they're for '84 Fiero's.

My question is:
Is this the same switch for an '88 (Tilt/pulse wipers) Fiero even though it's only for '84's?
I'm seeing part number: Standard DS-817 that could be it. Wondering if anyone's had the same experience in trying to find one?

* I know other options could be find someone with a steering column and pluck out what I need (which could be the same price as the switch itself)?

------------------
* 1984 Black Fiero SE (1995-1998) blown tranny - rest her soul
* 1988 Black Fiero Formula (2001-2004) Was to be a 3800SC, badly rusted rear frame.
* 1988 White Fiero GT (2009 - Present) This one's a keeper!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
burntwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for burntwoodSend a Private Message to burntwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump?
AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for??? Combination switch....

Dorman part# 49286. Both Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly have them in stock for $39.99.

[URL=http://smartpages.nexpart.com/smartpage.php?mfrlinecode=RNB&partnumber=49286&parttypeid=3355&app=nexpart&packqty=&selldesc=&listprice=69.98&dealerprice=39.99®ularprice=&yousaveprice=&privateline=&showsellprice=1&yousave=1&addldesc=Turn%20Signal%20/%2 0Cr]http://smartpages.nexpart.c...rn%20Signal%20/%20Cr[/URL] uise%20Control%20/%20Tilt%20Lever

[URL=https://www.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/MTM0/49286/details.html?po=CATALOG&pod=01960&vid=4649&carQuantity=1]https://www.firstcallonline...d=4649&carQuantity=1

These 2 links may or may not work.....

[This message has been edited by AutoMarshal (edited 07-24-2014).]

GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock auto has them also. Common part .
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think what he's looking for is the part the turn-stalk inserts in to. Sorry I can't help; I couldn't find a new one either. Check with mmeyer86gt/gtp . He may have one.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the wiper switch is 87 and 88 only. I had searched for one earlier as well but found nothing. GM steering columns are all the same so any switch will fit. The difference lies within the wiring. I think your only choice at this point is to serch for a used one.

Check out this site: http://car-part.com/ Just search for 88 fiero steering coulumn, there are a couple available in your area. You can get a complete column and just harvest the switch out of it.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 07-24-2014).]

AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another guess....... wiper switch?

Standard Motor Products part# DS-1585. $79.89

BWD Automotive part# S3474. $127.19
burntwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burntwoodSend a Private Message to burntwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the wiper switch wasn't available anywhere, the only choice was to get the like steering colum and scavenge off the parts. Will be working on it this weekend.
Thanks all for the responses!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock