3800 Supercharged L67- Too many miles? by Mr. Dude
Started on: 07-23-2014 04:05 PM
Replies: 9 (454 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 08-03-2014 07:35 PM
Mr. Dude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. DudeClick Here to visit Mr. Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. DudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

Brand new member here! I have the opportunity to pick up a L67 engine with super charger and wiring harness included for dirt cheap. The only problem is that the engine has 340K miles on it. Even though it is really cheap I don't know if it is worth getting if I'll have to end up rebuilding everything. I was planning on doing the upper end no matter what but really would rather stay way from rebuilding the lower end.

Ideally I'd like to go with some light performance mods to start with such as a 3.5" pulley, thermostat, cold air intake, mild cam, PCM, etc. Would a lower end with 340K miles be able to withstand any of this? Any opinions on from you guys on this would be much appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Number of miles is generally a bad metric for telling exactly whether some part is good or bad. 340K well-cared for miles will be completely different from 340K hard abused miles.

If it's cheap enough just buy it and rebuild. It's not that hard to replace the bearings and rings, and it might be time for it anyway. Probably a good time to change the timing chain as well.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That engine more than likely at the end of it's useful life. If you don't want to do a rebuild on it, don't bother with that engine. And with any mods like you would like to do it wouldn't last a week.

Edit: what is your idea of cheap? And oh yeah, welcome!

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 07-23-2014).]

Mr. Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. DudeClick Here to visit Mr. Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. DudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! I would be able to get it for $250. That is with the wiring harness, supercharger and other engine bolt on components such as water pump, etc.

Edit: However, I see places advertising fully rebuilt fresh L67 long blocks between $775 - $1200. No supercharger, wiring harness or other goodies included though.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dude (edited 07-23-2014).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never rebuild or buy a rebuilt 3800. I wouldn't see a problem with running it. If it does fail down the road its really not that hard to change out the long block. Once you do the initial swap all the hard work is done.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we've ran these guys out to 400k without any hint of failing. I wouldnt worry about it, and you can throw plenty of power at it as well.
Mr. Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. DudeClick Here to visit Mr. Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. DudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! Just the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like I might give it a shot and see what happens.

BTW... Darkhorizon, your car is what got me into all of this. After seeing your car perform in the quarter mile I was totally hooked and determined to start my own build.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally don't think I would go through the trouble doing a swap with a 340K engine. But for 250, the components would be worth it alone. What is in the car now?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I personally don't think I would go through the trouble doing a swap with a 340K engine. But for 250, the components would be worth it alone. What is in the car now?

I typically buy engines with under 70K miles on them and always do a cylinder leakdown test before installation. If the engine undergoes long term storage in the shop for a while and many do, we remove the plugs and fog all of the cylinders with a generous shot of oil. then a rotation or two so the rings and cylinders stay free of rust.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Thanks guys! I would be able to get it for $250. That is with the wiring harness, supercharger and other engine bolt on components such as water pump, etc."
You can go to a" U-Pull" yard and get one with a Warrantee for $250 ! (an extra $50 and They Pull it). the harness, you'll have to "Build" a Harness anyway !
That NOT a good deal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock