Lots of slop in Automatic shifter by Tooshea
Started on: 07-23-2014 02:24 PM
Replies: 2 (96 views)
Last post by: Tooshea on 07-24-2014 12:30 AM
Tooshea

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToosheaSend a Private Message to ToosheaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We now have an 87 GT w/ Automatic tranny. The Shifter is so sloppy. Once you move the shifter to Drive the shifter can still move almost up to Neutral w/o being in N. It does this in all gear selections. I pulled the cover to check the cable and connections. Everything seems fine except the mechanism itself. It lets the shifter move.. ALOT. Do I need to replace the entire shifting mechanism or is there a fix for this? There is NO slop in the cable itself and the TV adjustment has already been done. It sometimes make you feel like you shifted the car into 2nd when its actually in DRIVE.

Thanks for any help.

------------------
Tim and Lynn
1987 Fastback GT in restore mode..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a video?

Is the cable housing adjustment lock at the transmission engaged? The TV cable is not part of the shift cable. If you can move the shifter and the cable moves with it the problem is in the cable.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 07-23-2014).]

Tooshea

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToosheaSend a Private Message to ToosheaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Can you post a video?

Is the cable housing adjustment lock at the transmission engaged? The TV cable is not part of the shift cable. If you can move the shifter and the cable moves with it the problem is in the cable.

I'll post a clip tomorrow..

When I move the shifter, the cable also moves the lever on the tranny. I thought if the cable was "worn" out the shifter would move and the lever on the tranny WOULD NOT move. Thanks for the info. I'll take a small video tomorrow and post it in here so you can see what I'm talking about..

Thanks again!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock