Thinking of taking the Plasti-Dip plunge by PatrickTRoof
Started on: 07-21-2014 07:21 PM
Replies: 18 (464 views)
Last post by: Purple86GT on 07-28-2014 06:18 PM
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm leaning heavily toward the Plasti-Dip option for painting my Fiero. I'm so used to my car's paint being dull that I wouldn't even miss having it shiny. The car is plastic, so a plastic coating just seems to make sense. I wouldn't have to worry about waxing it (right?). And if it got a ding, it should be fairly easy to touch up with some extra dip.

I also think it would look really sharp if I dipped the body and left the mirrors, sail panels, deck vents (I want to powder coat them) and wing glossy. I would also leave the silver painted GT rocker panels alone.

So, any advice from those of you who have done it? What kind of prep work do I need to do to the body? How many coats? About how much of the stuff do I need to properly cover the car? Can it be sanded? Any and all info I can get is much appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sprayed 4 wheels about a month ago. Prep is like painting.....if you make the surface smooth it will look smooth when finished. I used 4 coats....first is very light, and then you goop it on...I would say the finish thickness is .015" when you are all done. It's not very glossy and you can't sand it... it pulls off like old-fashioned rubber cement....you can get an edge and as you pull it stretches. I can't comment on durability yet.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-21-2014).]

tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOOOOOOOOOO Plastidip almost always disappoints.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I do like the idea of being able to just peel it off if I make a mistake or don't like it anymore...
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaker cans or with a sprayer?

Why not get a few cans and do some testing/first attempts?

I did my rims and absolutely love the results thus far. I say give it a shot on a small body panel and then decide if your going to do the whole car.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Shaker cans or with a sprayer?

Why not get a few cans and do some testing/first attempts?

I did my rims and absolutely love the results thus far. I say give it a shot on a small body panel and then decide if your going to do the whole car.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll get some rattle cans and experiment.

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

That's what I'm thinking. I'll get some rattle cans and experiment.

Well see the thing is, is that I read a lot of people are using a Wagner sprayer with GREAT results. And I have read that the shaker cans can be exactly what one would expect. Not so GREAT. So please bear this thought in mind. It might be worth a few minutes of research to help decide which route to go.

Wish we had a PFF tool cage. That way we could rent or borrow or lend out tools among upstanding PFF'ers! Hell wanna go halves on a Wagner sprayer?

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Well see the thing is, is that I read a lot of people are using a Wagner sprayer with GREAT results. And I have read that the shaker cans can be exactly what one would expect. Not so GREAT. So please bear this thought in mind. It might be worth a few minutes of research to help decide which route to go.

I am doing lots of research. That's why I came here!

Wish we had a PFF tool cage. That way we could rent or borrow or lend out tools among upstanding PFF'ers! Hell wanna go halves on a Wagner sprayer?

Heck yeah! That would be great!

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rattle canned my decklid and was pretty happy with the results. Waiting to do my entire car when I get the dough. Going to spring for the HVLP sprayer and gallons though. Have checked out Dip Your Car, com?

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do It, what have you got to lose. If you don't like it peel it. No harm no foul. I've dipped my Fiero three times within a year, they keep coming up with new colors to entice me.

Goto http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php to see some amazing results on what people are doing.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guy next door does them as part of his car business. He uses a Wagner Power Painter. He also sells the stuff by spray can or gallons. I put the clear on chrome and alloy wheels to save them from winter corrosion since I drive everything all year long, and take it off in spring. Never had any problems peeling and Im a frequent power washer.
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a question regarding using the Wagner power sprayer, is there a sprayer you can use with an air compressor that would be cheaper? I'm not sure if the compressor I own would be big enough but I thought I would ask. I know harbor freight sells the spray guns pretty cheap, I'm sure they aren't the best quality but it's not show quality paint job either.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any experience with plasti-dip, but I imagine that it is thicker than regular paint, and the Wagner sprayer is made for thicker mixtures (for example, latex paint used on houes).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would have to thin it to use in a regular gun. I dont know what you thin it with, and it wont work as good thinned as it does thick. If you want to use an air compressor, you could probably get away with using an old style pressure cup gun if you can find one. There is no vent and the cup screws onto the gun handle. It dont syphon out paint like a regular gun...it pressurizes the material in the gun and forces it out the nozzle. It will spray out just about anything, but dont know how it would turn out on a car. Its basicly the same way a Wagner works. You have to be careful and dial the pressure way down though...usually less than 10 pnds or you blow the cup open at the side or bottom. I used to use one to spray thick glue for car carpet & vinyl tops, and RV building.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have looked at dipyourcar . com. I think I'm gonna plan on doing it. Like you said, if you don't like it, peel it off. It's a win win!
5.7Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.7FieroSend a Private Message to 5.7FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's pretty popular around here (MN) for newer bmw's and infinity G35's and I gotta say I'm impressed. My favorite one was a beemer that had a two tone black and dark dark Navy blue that you had to take a second look to see the two tone. If you do it post some pics! I'm planning on dipping mine next spring with the spray gun and haven't decided on color yet.

Thanks,
Chase
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a cheap sprayer from Harbor Freight, I have one that's been working good for about ten years!
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip, Britt. I plan on doing this before the end of the summer. I will do a thread on it.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much any HVLP sprayer will work. I have the Wagner and it does a good job. Just don't do it when it's too hot outside or it comes out like silly string...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock