Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to remove t-top weatherstripping from top frame (glued)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to remove t-top weatherstripping from top frame (glued) by jaskispyder
Started on: 07-21-2014 09:50 AM
Replies: 3 (123 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 07-23-2014 07:47 AM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a suggestion how to remove the weatherstripping from the frame? Which solvent would work. The weatherstripping is good, but it is hard to sell the entire frame and I would like to remove the weatherstripping from the frame and sell it separately.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give GooGone a try. I have used it on all sorts of OEM adhesives, and it works well. It is 100%safe on rubber and plastic and such. Saturate anywhere and everywhere that there is glue, and let it sit over night. When you are all finished, wash it up good with dawn dish soap or other degreaser, as GooGone is oil based and until everything is cleaned the new glue will never hold.

I would definitely try a small spot as a test, and see how well it works before putting the GooGone everywhere....

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-21-2014).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be very careful. They are not solid rubber. They are more like a delicate spongy material. I ripped one just removing the old headliner and carefully (I thought) pulling the headliner material off it. It removed a chunk of the weatherstrip in a moment. The bigger question is what type of adhesive are they using to hold your on? I've seen some with silicone, some with a true rubberstrip adhesive. Seems to depend on who installed them. Good luck!!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Be very careful. They are not solid rubber. They are more like a delicate spongy material. I ripped one just removing the old headliner and carefully (I thought) pulling the headliner material off it. It removed a chunk of the weatherstrip in a moment. The bigger question is what type of adhesive are they using to hold your on? I've seen some with silicone, some with a true rubberstrip adhesive. Seems to depend on who installed them. Good luck!!

Looks to be installed by C&C. Not silicone used. I am familiar with the type of weatherstripping, just not how to remove the glue....I am afraid it may rip, but I will try some goo-gone. I am getting to the point that I will just part out the t-top kit. I was hoping to salvage the weatherstripping. The frame is just too big to ship for a reasonable about (considering I would have to lower the price to the point that it isn't worth the hassle).

I think I will try some goo gone and a sharp edge to get under the weatherstripping to break the bond. Slow way of doing it.

Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock