Need Help with my 84 belts!!! by TurneyInTheAF
Started on: 07-20-2014 04:56 PM
Replies: 4 (110 views)
Last post by: TurneyInTheAF on 07-20-2014 10:49 PM
TurneyInTheAF

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurneyInTheAFSend a Private Message to TurneyInTheAFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So a few months ago I stumbled upon an 84 2m4 for really cheap and jumped on the deal. I figured this was a good vehicle to learn to become more mechanically inclined on. Well a couple weeks ago the fiero overheated and threw a belt. I replaced the entire fan shrout and had to replace the valve cover gasket. Now I'm on the job of replacing both belts and can not figure it out at all. I have both belts and matched the numbers on one of them so I know its the correct belt but as far as placement goes and how to replace the belts I'm completely lost! If someone has some helpful pictures or any kind of help I would greatly appreciate it. Im new to the mechanical world so any bit of info helps!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First belt goes on alternator, water pump, and crank pulley (larger pulley closer to engine). second smaller belt goes on the AC compressor and crank pulley (smaller pulley further from engine).

First belt: Loosen alternator top bolt and the bottom pivot bolt. Push alternator inwards towards engine. Slide belt onto pulleys. Use a pry bar or something to put tension on alternator top lug, and tighten top bolt. Then tighten lower pivot bolt and nut. Deflection halfway between alternator and water pump should be ~0.5"

AC compressor belt is a PITA. Leave off if you know the AC doesn't work. Otherwise installation is similar to previous, but there are mounting and pivot bolts on the front and back of the compressor.
TurneyInTheAF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurneyInTheAFSend a Private Message to TurneyInTheAFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thank you so much for the help! Starting up on the belts again now
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100% agree on the alternator. There are four bolts that hold it to its brackets, and they like to get kind of stuck, and are not hard to get to, at least when the engine is in the car =)
TurneyInTheAF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurneyInTheAFSend a Private Message to TurneyInTheAFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the fiero up and running again =) now hopefully she stays running long enough for me to work up the courage for an engine swap

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock