Vacuum lines everywhere, please help by Harley95
Started on: 07-20-2014 10:22 AM
Replies: 33 (596 views)
Last post by: Harley95 on 07-30-2014 12:51 AM
Harley95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to figure out where this vacuum hose off the yellow wire goes, it was hooked into the plenum but wasn't supposed to be there, please help.
I have an 88 Formula automatic

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 07-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its on the backside of the transmission near the torque converter
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, look at those big pictures.

Jim
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna say, but then I can't seem to upload anything.

How do you know it's not supposed to connect to the plenum?

Can we see a small picture of where it starts and one of where it ends?

I use a too high resolution camera and edit the bleep out of the image to get it to fit. Try lowering the resolution, use a cell phone, or edit big time. I used to use photosizer, but after a couple crashes and a malware download I'm back to editing.

Oh, BTW, if you didn't know there is an image loader at the bottom of this page called PIP. Download, install, get forum profile, browse for image, get it small enough, upload, then Ctrl-V.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There should be a sticker on the underside of your decklid which shows the vacuum line routing.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the image sizes. I only have a sticker for emissions on my deck-lid. the small hose for the plenum was stuffed with a screw, I've got no idea where this one belongs.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect someone has been quite "inventive" with the vacuum line routing on your engine. What's with that line that's running right alongside your throttle body?

Originally posted by Harley95:

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got no idea, I'm just trying to figure out where this one goes before I go to work. where should that one along side my throttle body be running to?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

where should that one along side my throttle body be running to?

That's just it, there shouldn't be one located there.

Here's an image of my '88.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-20-2014).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got no idea, are you talking about the one I'm holding on the one underneath the air intake?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...are you talking about the one I'm holding on the one underneath the air intake?

The thin glass/plastic (whatever it's made from) tube running right by the TPS on the TB.

PFF
System Bot
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My whole engine layout is different

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My whole engine layout is different

Well yeah, some of that is because it's an automatic, you have cruise control, you have headers, the coolant lines to the TB are still in place (unlike mine)... and some of the difference is also because someone was "inventive" with vacuum line routing. I believe there should be no difference in how the vacuum lines were originally routed on Fiero 2.8 engines. That doesn't mean to say that yours are necessarily incorrectly connected, but it's pretty difficult (if not impossible) to tell from looking at your images where your various lines are going to and from.

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just trying to figure out where the one I'm holding goes because its to a valve on the tranmission
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hopefully someone else here with an automatic will be able to tell you.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm just trying to figure out where the one I'm holding goes because its to a valve on the tranmission

Could it be an oil line?
The factory parts catalogue shows two 7.9 MM hoses routed from the transmission to the oil cooler lines under the car...

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you study the diagram or trace the lines you'll find they take rather curious routes. Things seem to start on the left side of the plenum and go to the fuel canister via the trunk wall. Your PO may have just taken reasonable shortcuts. I suspect the line you're holding is just the fresh air intake for the EGR solenoid. While it should be connected to the snorkel or air filter housing or a line on the firewall that is, often it is not, with little immediate side effects. I don't know much about Fiero automatics. I didn't know they had a vacuum line. Are you sure it's not connected to the fuel tank? It might be it's supposed to connect to the fuel canister just to the left of your hand. Nice photos.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no real Idea, its just coming off a valve at the front of the tranny, just a little bit beside the torque converter
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son has a 2.8 with automatic. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, but like Patrick said, if your's are buggered, it's gonna be hard to tell where those hoses go from your picture alone.

Jim
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it indeed coming off the transmission, it would appear to be a 4t60 installed in the car. That hose is coming off the vacuum modulator and needs to connect to a vacuum source. If it not coming off the transmission it is prolly your EVAP line that connects to the EVAP canister. Just my guess.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah its off the transmission, but should it be plugged into the plenum?
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4t60 requires a vacuum source, either t-off a vacuum line or put a new one in. Can you post a pick of the shifter linkage/transmission so we can confirm? On the bottom of the tranny it might have 4t60 stamped into the pan. Wanna be sure before you get any bad info.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally was able to look at my sons car, and like Patrick said, there is nothing like what you posted pics of. My son has the stock 2.8 with the 3 speed automatic. Sorry.

Jim
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bellow is a vacuum diagram from the Fierostore, thought it might help, sorry I can't post pic's from my phone.

http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Images%5C363.jpgq

hope this helps!
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
Sorry about link, try this one[url=]http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=363[/url]
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know FieroStore had metal vac lines, they look much better than dickmans, the Fierostore ones have barbs on the ends of the lines, dickmans don't.
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I didn't know FieroStore had metal vac lines, they look much better than dickmans, the Fierostore ones have barbs on the ends of the lines, dickmans don't.

Dickmans are SS, fierostore plain steel
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88GT with the original 3-speed and I can say for sure that there is no vacuum line going to the transmission on my car.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...its just coming off a valve at the front of the tranny, just a little bit beside the torque converter

Take a picture of this "valve" and show us!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-25-2014).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the wait, work keeps me out of the garage

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry for the wait, work keeps me out of the garage

Um....WTH
that is not even close to a stock Fiero
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hiwil88formula hit the nail on the head. That is as 4T60 tranny vacuum modulator valve.

Edited to add:

From this thread: 88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap started

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

You need to tap into manifold vacuum. I t'ed into the port right next to the dist. cap on the upper intake plenum.

Steve

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 07-29-2014).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's interesting, well thank you everybody for helping. next to figure out my cooling issue...

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 07-30-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock