Started on: 07-20-2014 07:06 AM
Replies: 4 (528 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 07-20-2014 12:10 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been pondering this for many many years now. How to make a gated shifter in a Fiero as I have always wanted one in my 88 Mera. In this case a gated shifter in a Fiero with the Getrag 5 speed. I am going to put some effort into this maybe soon. The single biggest problem is that to really make a gated shifter in a Fiero the pivot point for the shifter has to be very close to the floor where the shifter assembly bolts into the Fiero sub frame. This means the shifting arm on the Getrag trans has to be rotated 180 degrees so the shifting pattern stays the same. This requires the shift cable mounting point to be moved towards the passenger side some. I have to look to see if that is feasible. I think it is. The select cable is now moved to the passenger side of the shifting assembly. That should be no problem.

Also to have a good gated shifter one needs to have a solid mounting point for the steel gated piece. I would try to make steel risers to come up so one can mount a gated shifter plate and it is mounted to steel instead of the plastic parts the console top mounts to.

Possibly the only trans this will work on is the Getrag 5 speed. It is possibly the only trans the top shifting arm can be rotated 180 degrees easily and the shift cable mounting point can be reworked to match.

Making the shifter pivot point close to the shifter area floor allows a good amount of throw for the shifter arm at the console level so it goes into the steel gates well. The problem with using a Fiero shifter assembly is the shifter arm does not move very much at the console level because the pivot point is just below the console top.

I'm not sure if I will ever get this done but I'm going to try working on it soon. 94blackbird has offered to cut the steel shifter section out of a chassis so I have it for R&D.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds fantastic Rodney, keep us apprised
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds kool.. have you seen the lightning rod shifter...

http://shop.kilduffmachine....Rod-Shifters-069.htm

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

sounds kool.. have you seen the lightning rod shifter...

http://shop.kilduffmachine....Rod-Shifters-069.htm

Somebody else can make that.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want some basic measurements from my working gated shifter, just let me know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock