Thermostat housing gasket by donuteater306
Started on: 07-20-2014 12:26 AM
Replies: 8 (743 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-21-2015 11:45 AM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to replace my housing gasket tomorrow. Should I use a smear of RTV on both sides of the gasket, or just make sure both surfaces are clean and install the gasket dry?

Old paper gasket soaked through after 4 years. Hoping to avoid that from happening again.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the thermostat housing flange is flat.

It might be regarded as "old-school" now, but for 40 years I've used Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® in situations like this. I'd put on a very thin layer on both sides of the gasket.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-20-2014).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thank you. I did use a thin layer on both sides this time. Hope to get more than 4 years out of this one.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a better gasket available.

I found Fel-pro PN 35595 for GM engines has a nice rubber ring embedded in it.
The bolt holes are a perfect match - only need to elongate them slightly outward.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-22-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Make sure the thermostat housing flange is flat.

It might be regarded as "old-school" now, but for 40 years I've used Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® in situations like this. I'd put on a very thin layer on both sides of the gasket.

Yup... just enough to seal any imperfections. I have also used Permatex high tack sealant.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierosound for the gasket idea. I tried to find your original thread to post this, but I can't find so it. +1 to you sir.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The bolt holes are a perfect match - only need to elongate them slightly outward.

Fierosound, this is an excellent idea and upgrade. Thanks for sharing...

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Paper" failed then likely Tstat is not flat or dirty etc or used wrong gasket.

Many "paper" and cork gasket use High Tack but Many Tstat housing have problem from over torquing the bolts etc.

RTV takes 24hr or more to full cure. Cold weather can take days to cure. Freezing weather might many can't cure or takes week or more to cure. Dry and not sticky IS NOT full cure. You can't load coolant or drive until then.

RTV hate oil/grease, coolant, rust, or dirt on pieces to seal. Best last step is brake cleaner.

Above work on v6...
L4 have two types. If L4 Tstat housing have thick flat flange then won't work and you can't get new silicon "o-ring." I made one from flat cork supply, apply w/ little RTV and then let RTV to cure for 2-3 days.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by fierosound:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

That is likely a Fel-Pro Printoseal gasket. Most Printoseal... Do Not use any added sealer on printed side. That can make Printoseal plastic useless.
Might be fine using High-tack on unprinted side. High-tack is part sealant and part "glue" to keep gasket in place to start bolts etc.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock