Coolant fan switch install problems by 84se2.5
Started on: 07-18-2014 09:24 PM
Replies: 8 (249 views)
Last post by: un fiero on 07-18-2014 11:51 PM
84se2.5

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2.5Send a Private Message to 84se2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all first post here but have been lurking for awhile. To those who've been here awhile my dad is Linenoise

I have an 84 with a 2.5 I am trying to install Rodney's lower temp fan switch but my car doesn't have the switch installed but in the hole for the switch there is a square drive plug. I for the life of me I cannot get it out. The square hole is pretty round at this point.
My buddy and I rebuilt the engine in it with a block out of a newer sun bird(at least that's what we were told) and didn't realize the difference at the time(we built it 3~4 years ago we are just getting it on the road now)
I was just wondering if there's any other place I could put it or tee off the temp sensor port somehow.
Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you just need to mount it get a couple of zip ties and mount it that way. its been a while so I will let others tell you where the other wires are, they should be right next to the fan if there is no switch there now. but if I remember right one is a ground and the other plugs into the switch and the switch plugs into the fan.

This may help on the engine end.

http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=189

http://www.calgaryfieros.co...lant-fan-switch.html

then there is always the Ogres page at the top of any page with lots of helpful info

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/

as well as this,

http://www.calgaryfieros.co...lant-fan-switch.html

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-18-2014).]

84se2.5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2.5Send a Private Message to 84se2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm talking about the switch in the engine everything on the fan is good. Thanks though
I know where it goes to but I have a square drive plug in that hole

[This message has been edited by 84se2.5 (edited 07-18-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84se2.5:

I'm talking about the switch in the engine everything on the fan is good. Thanks though

click on the top link, there is a picture there of the engine, I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I listed as many links as I could find.

Or this one

http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=189

Steve

84se2.5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2.5Send a Private Message to 84se2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I saw that I know where its at, the engine we used didn't have the switch just a pipe plug is what I assume it is
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I saw that I know where its at, the engine we used didn't have the switch just a pipe plug is what I assume it is

just unscrew the plug, buy a sensor and connect, you should have a loose wire close by.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

84se2.5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2.5Send a Private Message to 84se2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plug is seized in the hole and is stripped I already have the switch
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The plug is seized in the hole and is stripped I already have the switch

PB Blaster it, tap it with a small hammer, then walk away, come back an hour later and repeat and again and again for a couple of days. then grab it with a good pair of vise grips. if you can get a small grinder in there and square off the end of the plug then use an appropriate size wrench. or if you have a friend with a welder just weld a smaller socket or wrench on it and remove, just the heat from welding a socket or wrench on there after PB Blasting it should come right out.
edit to add
its been a while since I was under the hood of my 84 4cyl so I can't remember if there is enough room to get a grinder in there. But it should come out with the welder method I mentioned real easy.

Steve

un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished (like an hour ago) removing a pipe plug from my intake. It was rounded off pretty bad so I drilled a hole through the plug and had to use an easy out and a lot of PB blaster to get it out. Good luck!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock