which duke do I have? by lurtz
Started on: 07-18-2014 12:04 PM
Replies: 5 (148 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 07-18-2014 08:36 PM
lurtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzClick Here to Email lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy you all, I have a quuestion more for my own curiosity then anything, but a question none the less. I have an 84 base coupe with my8 tranny. According to the diligent record keeping of the original owner, mshe recieved a factory warranty/recall engine replacement @ 38,568 miles in Feb 1988. With that being said is it possible that i now have rollers instead of flat lifters, and can i tell from the exterior of the engine. Also did these factory recalls replace just the block or were the head and external pieces replaced as well?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm JACKISPYDER. He has a lot of info on the history and may be able to assist you in this.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '84 SE engine was replaced under warranty at 102,000 kilometers (63,300 miles) in '87 for a cracked block leaking coolant into a cylinder.
I believe it was a sealed engine excluding A/C compressor, alternator & clutch.
I've always thought it was an '84 design engine, but maybe not...
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzClick Here to Email lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I will try to PM Jackispyder. It sounds like a lot of the 84's had a replacement engine... It's a good thing these are high valued items or I'd be more upset about not having a numbers matching build.. J/K
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably don't have roller lifters. If you have a distributor, you don't have an 88 engine. If your oil filter isn't inside the pan, you don't have an 88 engine. There was a change in the engines in 87 when they eliminated the distributor and went to crankshaft initiated ignition through a crankshaft sensor and coil pack. The ECM would also need to be changed.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-094040.html
http://www.calgaryfieros.co...Gdocs/Iron-Duke.html

You will have an 84-86 engine as 87-88 used a different ignition system.

Originally posted by lurtz:

Howdy you all, I have a quuestion more for my own curiosity then anything, but a question none the less. I have an 84 base coupe with my8 tranny. According to the diligent record keeping of the original owner, mshe recieved a factory warranty/recall engine replacement @ 38,568 miles in Feb 1988. With that being said is it possible that i now have rollers instead of flat lifters, and can i tell from the exterior of the engine. Also did these factory recalls replace just the block or were the head and external pieces replaced as well?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock