Help! Engine cranks with no spark! by crazyred84
Started on: 07-18-2014 01:11 AM
Replies: 10 (319 views)
Last post by: crazyred84 on 07-25-2014 05:10 PM
crazyred84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 SE decided it was time for more trouble. Here it goes:

I was driving down the road a few weeks ago when it died. Just quit running, almost instantly. I popped it in neutral and started it right back up. Cool, untill it happened again about a 1/2 mile down the road. I pulled over into a gas station to investigate, to which I couldn't find anything obvious broken (mind you it was almost 2 in the morning and my flashlight was my phone). I had it towed back home where the next day I noticed, what I thought was, low fuel pressure. It didn't look like the throttle body was getting much fuel. Note: I never ran a fuel pressure test.

The next couple days I'd go out and fiddle with it (check for broken wires, make sure I hadn't overlooked anything). Low and behold one day she started right up like nothing like ever happened! Ran fine for 20 minutes before I shut it off. Went to start it again and it ran for a few seconds then just died. Haven't gotten it start since that day .

In my procrastination, I let it sit for two weeks before I investigated more. I figured before dropping the tank or anything drastic I would check spark, and.....Nothing! Hmm, seems like I've found my problem. Did my research and started by checking the Ign. coil. I couldn't get a straight reading on that so I went and picked up a new one. Installed it, and nothing again . No problem, I'll move on to the ICM which I've read is know to go bad. Had it checked at AutoZone today and it tested fine.

Now I'm stuck. Not sure what to check next. Wire's are fairly new, shouldn't have a problem there. The entire engine only has 20K miles since the rebuild. So...Do ICM's ever test fine and still not work? Other things I should look at I haven't thought of??? This one really has me stumped, and all I wanna do is drive her again!

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While cranking does the tach rise to 200 rpm and then fall back to zero when you release the key from START to RUN?
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tach does not rise at all. It twichted a little but that's it.

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the ICM checks fine, then the next most likely component is the coil. If you do a quick search here in Tech and use the key words "Phonedawgz" and "coil", you'll find the correct procedure to test it... he's posted the procedure many times.
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Bloozeberry. As I mentioned above, the coil was the first component I replaced and it didn't change anything. I'll look for that thread and test the new coil (something I should have done first).

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
take the cap of the distributer and look at the pickup coil, its that thing under the rotor that looks like it has white tape covering it. if that is worn off, the tape that may be your problem, I had a similar problem with my 86 SE and after replacing other things that didn't test as good I took another look at that and said WTF I have replaced everything else why not. low and behold that was also gone. She has been running great ever since.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-18-2014).]

crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check that out tomorrow 84Fiero. I have to put the ICM back on since I took it off yesterday.

Also, does the coil get grounded to the block through it's mounting brakcet? When I tested my new the other day I just plugged it and let it sit there. Didn't want to install it before I knew it was a fix.

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ignition coil grounds through it's base.

The pick up coil test is here -

http://i160.photobucket.com...i_photo/disttest.jpg

You don't have to remove the dist to test the pick up coil. You DO have to remove the pick up coil to replace it.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...907-2-089760.html#p2
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an Update:

Permantly mounted the new Ign. Coil and put the old ICM back in and...no luck. While I was at Autozone picking up the the silicone for the ICM I had them test it again and it failed . So I ordered a new one which should be in tomorow.

I took a better look at the pickup coil today while it was apart and it looked. Don't think my problems lies there.

Thank's,
CrazyRed84
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crazyred84

45 posts
Member since Mar 2014
Got my new ICM in today, and voila! Spark! Now I'm not getting any fuel into the TBI.

I have 12V at the Injector, but I'm not exactly sure how to check the ground. I know it grounds out through the ECM, so I checked the G504 and it's good. I had someone crank it over while I checked the blue wire at the injector to ground. So, one lead of the multimeter in the connector and the other on the block. I had no continuity or voltage readings at all.

Am I missing something? I checked the wire all the way to the firewall and it was free of cuts and splices. No obvious signs of corrosion. I'm going to take the center console out tomorrow to check the C504 under the ECM. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solution:

Just to finish the thread off, I figured it late the other night. When I installed my ICM I plugged in the wires going to the ECM backwards. The ECM wasn't getting the signal from the ICM to fire the Injector. So, lesson learned. Double check your connectors!

Thanks for all the help guys,
CrazyRed84
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay