right front wheel/hub hot + slight pull to right by fiamma
Started on: 07-16-2014 08:37 PM
Replies: 5 (84 views)
Last post by: fiamma on 07-16-2014 10:25 PM
fiamma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed a slight wheel pull to right, felt the wheels & right front is hot to touch.
Would like your ideas about cause before taking to shop.
Brakes have about 2000 miles.
Also brake related: Last week I had the oil changed at an oil change place, told them not to go in
the front compartment but found them in there anyway. Don't know if they had got to the brake fluid
reservoir but the next day after I had a smog done (it passed!), I noticed the pull for the first time &
the brake light came on and pedal went down several inches. The gasket was twisted and fluid
completely full. I lowered the fluid level 1/4 inch, straightened out the gasket, and the brakes worked
normally, normal pedal, no brake light.
So I am guessing right front brake drag, something sticking, don't know how reservoir situation
would have affected that.
I know oil change places are best stayed away from but I needed the oil change ahead of the smog test.
Indicator of knowledge there was the worker was trying to open the hood with the gas cover release &
when I reached in to release, he said how did you do that and where is the engine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your right caliper is at least partially seized. There are rebuild kits available pretty cheap, but if you're not up for that the calipers themselves aren't that expensive.
Knight Rider

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Knight RiderSend a Private Message to Knight RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could also be the brake hose that is collapsing. I would replace it along with the caliper.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight Rider:

It could also be the brake hose that is collapsing. I would replace it along with the caliper.

To expand on this a little, a collapsed brake hose closes off the fluid inside and acts like a one-way valve. When you push the fluid to the caliper, the car stops......but when you let your foot up, the fluid can't get back through the hose, and the brake pads drag on the rotor. The hoses look normal from the outside, so if they are old, they are suspect.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or - could be two unrelated issues. Possible bad wheel bearing? Just a thought.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hoses are original equipment, have only replaced pads and rotors plus one rear caliper.
Car is 87GT, forgot to say in first post.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock