My 1985 Fiero SE V6 is Choking by PhilBinAZ
Started on: 07-15-2014 06:34 PM
Replies: 19 (437 views)
Last post by: PhilBinAZ on 07-21-2014 07:39 AM
PhilBinAZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

I need some advise. I did something stupid and started my Fiero 2.8 after a year of storage.
Started right up but she stalls in idle. Bad gas. So it's been changed. Fuel injector cleaners
and a stabilizer has been added. Spark plugs were changed as was the PCV valve. Everything
on this car has been replaced. She will run. Even up to 100mph. But if I am cruising along
at 65 I backfire and stall. I stall at lights. The computer has been reset several times. She
will run for about a minute and a half and then stall. No one here will touch a Fiero. So I do
everything myself. This has me baffled, and frustrated. PLEASE all advise will be tried.
Thanks in advance,

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

[This message has been edited by PhilBinAZ (edited 07-15-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! If you really have replaced EVERYTHING there is nothing we can do.... .

edit: whenever I hear about backfiring, I think about the ICM, and even if you have replaced that it still could be bad.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-15-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the ignition timing? Also look at the engine running when it is dark outside and see if you see any arcing from the plug wires. Have you replaced the plugs?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Have you checked the ignition timing? Also look at the engine running when it is dark outside and see if you see any arcing from the plug wires. Have you replaced the plugs?

Ditto on the timing check, back fires are generally timing related at least they used to be before cars got taken over by computers. I hate technology !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the plug wires?
Old/dirty plug wires will cross fire quite easily. Causing backfires, stumbling, etc. Will likely be worse in humid conditions.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automatic?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Q1 - When it does this it starts right up again no problem?

Q2 - What does the tach do when this happens? - I suspect it acts normal but look to see if it drops out during this event. If your tach is wacking out all the time take a look at your pick up coil. Does it look like it is falling apart? If so it needs to be replaced.

It's the thing wrapped in tape inside your distributor -

Q3 - Does your check engine light come one key on engine off? It should that indicates it works - Q3 (the real question) Assuming the light does work, do you get a check engine light when this happens?

Q4 - Is that check engine light for code 42?

If you are getting code 42 check the 4 pin wire connector on the distributor. If that looks good then replace the ICM. If not a code 42 then tell us what you are getting.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-16-2014).]

PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Everything is new. Only 12,000 miles. This started with bad gas. That I know.
When she runs as I said she runs as good as ever. The idle at least on my tach runs at 1100rpm.
Then drops to 900 then a stall. Starts right up. If I rev up to let's say 3000rpm and hold it she
will still cut out. If I step on the gas as she is stalling it backfires and runs again. Even though
I only had 12000 miles on the plugs, wires and PVC I still changed them. I'm not a mechanic
but I did with the help of a former friend build this car. If any of you are here in AZ I own the white
SE that was featured in POCI a couple of years back. So she was running like new. I had to garage
her for health reasons and just forgot about bad gas. I haven't read the codes. My check engine
light is always on. I was told it probably was a small vacuum leak because I have always passed
Emission.
I will try anything. Thanks again

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would try some good throttle body cleaner like seafoam and if that doesn't help you may need to take the throttle body apart and clean it out
PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I'm trying everything before taking it apart again. Could the "new" fuel filter have anything to do with this?

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how bad the fuel was, the NEW fuel filter may be old already.
PFF
System Bot
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PhilBinAZ,

I would suspect either a vacuum leak or even may something in the fuel system. My Fiero here in Phoenix has a lot of rust and contaminants in the fuel tank. While I had my tank down, I cleaned out the loose rust, replaced the sending unit (float was stuck on mine) and fuel pump. It also wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and flush out the fuel line too.

Since you here in the valley, there are several of us who cruise usually one weekend a month after the heat subsides. Keep an eye out on General and Event forum for our next outing.
PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I was in the Arizona Fiero Club before it went away. I have also replaced the gas tank and fuel sending unit. I have steel fuel lines. Oscelot exhaust. Just took her out and hit 115mph. So it is moving. Just stalls on idle. I have done everything that I did when I built her. Back checking all the way. The only thing I didn't change yet us the brand new fuel filter. Not even 2,000 miles on it. If it can hit 115mph how does she stall at idle. Someone asked, it is an automatic. Oil pressure is perfect. Oil temp is perfect. Volts are perfect. A/F is not lean. Vacuum is perfect. And yes the tank is full of premium with cleaners and stablizer. So I am completely lost.
Thanks again...

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

[This message has been edited by PhilBinAZ (edited 07-16-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What code(s) come up when you preform the check engine light flash (video above)?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a new VSS too?
PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VSS is stock. I'm sorry, what does that do to cause a stall? It ran perfectly until the bad gas. What am I missing? Seems as simple as the timing but I have reset the EMC. I just finally found my code ready and will get that tomorrow. Something between the gas and the injectors. Except everything is new, except the fuel filter which is 2000 miles

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good morning. I am getting code 12 only. I have it down to the air intake. Unplugged TPS and she doesn't stall. Reset ECM. Connected the wire and stall. These manuals SUCK!!!

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stalling at idle and at lights is a symptom of torque converter solenoid failure. The torque converter stays locked all the time. Try unplugging it. You won't go as fast or get as good mileage until you replace the part, which can be difficult on later models, but yours should be pretty easy.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhilBinAZ:

Good morning. I am getting code 12 only. I have it down to the air intake. Unplugged TPS and she doesn't stall. Reset ECM. Connected the wire and stall. These manuals SUCK!!!

It always flashes code 12 three times before it flashes the code numbers then after flashes code 12 again three more times, are you sure you waited long enough to see the bad codes? Just asking because with the light constantly on it has to have some codes stored and if you want to clear them and start again just disconnect the battery for a few mins and then reconnect. That should clear all codes stored and resent the check engine light, unless there is something else wrong.

Steve
PhilBinAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilBinAZClick Here to visit PhilBinAZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhilBinAZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
I did unplug the TPI and it ran with a high idle. Let it run. Plugged it back in and it ran without stalling. Took her around the block and man did she move! The idle is high. 2200rph but I'm guessing that it will adjust when the ECM learns. That was a very stupid move on my part. Never start the stored car with gas that has been sitting for over a year.
Thanks for all the advise!!

------------------
Phil B in AZ
POCI Member since 2002
pjphotostudio.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave