Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Comfy yet supportive seat reccomendations!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Comfy yet supportive seat reccomendations! by Shho13
Started on: 07-15-2014 11:16 AM
Replies: 13 (247 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 07-16-2014 09:45 AM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys! I bought my Fiero last month and the car came with extremely worn out F-body seats as opposed to the stock Fiero seats.

Now, I know about Mr.Mike's seat covers, and I know that they look awesome when installed right. My question after all this is how are the Fiero seats realistically? Would I be better off buying a set of real racing seats as opposed to finding a new set of factory seats that i would re upholster?

How do they hold in the "more agressive" turns? Are the comfortable on a long drive? How many years can I expect to see out of Mr.mikes leather seats?

As for aftermarket seats, what is reccomended by you guys? I'm looking for cornering support yet comfortable to cruze in as well.

That's all my questions for now, haha; sorry to ask sooooo many!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find some Fiero seats and put Mr Mike's covers with his foam kit.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good condition stock fiero seats are great! No need for aftermarket IMHO
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been through the seat thing since my OE seats got too worn. I currentlly have Chevy Cobalt seats, however they are too tall until you cut off the seat rail mechanism and fabricate your own runners. Nice thing about them is the adjustable lumbar support, but you don't want to take it on unless you are pretty handy.

I also used BMW seats, and the same thing holds true. The Sunbird seats fit pretty well, but you'll want to remove the runners as well.

If you can find OE Fiero seats and cover them with Mr. Mike's covers it is the best but not the cheapest
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86' Fiero GT stock cloth upholstery seats.

The side bolsters are rather nice but there seems to be this weird arch they put in that you feel in the center/upper half of your back. Im rather short (5'8) and only weight about 140 but my back seems to need better support.

Changing the upholstery on the seat itself won't fix this either. I have a patent pending idea in the making by having seats in general be made out of memory foam, so that it contours to everyone instead of the majority. But more on that in the future.

Finding things like Recaro seats are gonna be your best bet, especially with a 5 point harness but that can get expensive.

I do like the stock fiero seats I just wish that arch wasn't there, one thing I do for a long trip is tilt the seat back more and it starts to feel more comfortable.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!!

It seems like the general consensus is to go with finding a pair of Fiero seats and re upholster them with Mr. Mikes kit. I love the way the leather package GT style looks, thanks a bunch guys!

I have one last quickie question; thinking of going with a red accent stitching throughout the interior, does he offer to do that on the seat covers?

EDIT: just emailed him to ask if its possible, Ill let you guys know what he says!

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 07-15-2014).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want the stock Fiero seats with better support for hard cornering, try to find at least an 88 driver side seat with the lumbar support. Then you can pump it up for racing, and tone it down a bit for driving on the street.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Good condition stock fiero seats are great! No need for aftermarket IMHO

I agree they are great as far as holding and comfort. Now the ride of the Fiero is not very comfortable to me but then I have 6 herniated discs so I have issues with riding very long in the Fiero, anything more than an hour and I basically have to roll out of the dam thing, but as I said that's the ride of the car, 86 SE V6.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the Cavalier seats are really close to the original Fiero seats...I have 1992 Cavalier X whatever seats and they're just like the original Fiero seats in color and size.

------------------

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
I am interested in these memory foam seats.

I have a prototype in the making. Maybe I will make the first real seat for a fiero?
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a prototype in the making. Maybe I will make the first real seat for a fiero?

I too would be interested in this; even though I don't have a set of Fiero seats yet...
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:I also used BMW seats, and the same thing holds true.

Which BMW seats did you use? As my car has gotten more competent the seats appear more lacking. I was just thinking about E30 "sport" (Recaro) seats... if that's what you used and they're too tall, it'll save me a lot of looking!

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I too would be interested in this; even though I don't have a set of Fiero seats yet...

The problem is that I am the only one considering this idea. Car manufactures ( Even high quality vehicles like a Bentley) have never used this material. For some reason, car's have advanced mechanically and physically but seat's are made about the same as they were way back when. The advantages are the same as using the material in bed, cost is a bit more but last ability is improved. Maybe I will start a build thread on this once I can get some funds for my idea.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread to the OP.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock