3800sc flywheel balancing by Tuna Helper
Started on: 07-13-2014 10:19 PM
Replies: 1 (111 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-14-2014 11:00 AM
Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am full of dumb questions lately, but here goes… I bought a car with a 3800sc already swapped in. The friction disc went bad, and the pressure plate is damaged. I had the disc rebuilt and pp replaced. Now, I realized that the PO did not cut down the flywheel when he put it together. I don't know if he had it balanced or not. I just had it turned down to 0.840, which was almost 0.3 off the original thickness. Since it didn't vibrate before, should I have it re-balanced? I don't have anything to match the balance to. (Unless I buy and return one)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

I am full of dumb questions lately, but here goes… I bought a car with a 3800sc already swapped in. The friction disc went bad, and the pressure plate is damaged. I had the disc rebuilt and pp replaced. Now, I realized that the PO did not cut down the flywheel when he put it together. I don't know if he had it balanced or not. I just had it turned down to 0.840, which was almost 0.3 off the original thickness. Since it didn't vibrate before, should I have it re-balanced? I don't have anything to match the balance to. (Unless I buy and return one)

The best way is to balance the flywheel to the old 3800 pressure plate or disassemble the engine, remove the crankshaft and have that balanced as an assembly. The second option is to go to a salvage yard and buy a used plate to be used as a reference and balance to that. The third option is to cut the flywheel and install it as is. You'd have a decent shot at that working. I know of a few 3800 swaps that did it that way with success.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock