who works on getrags? by Playindirty1
Started on: 07-13-2014 02:10 PM
Replies: 2 (175 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 07-13-2014 06:52 PM
Playindirty1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couple of questions here. I have an 86 GT 2.8 with 5speed Getrag and it grinds in low rpm in 4th and 5th. goes away around 2500rpm 3rd is starting to do the same. There doesn't seem to be any hard shifting either. Any ideas? Im in Omaha NE and NO ONE will touch this thing. I looked up swaps like the F40 but don't know to much about trannys at all. I high rev about 4grand on high way at 70mph and wouldn't mind a six gear. is that normal? The F40 looked very exspensive for the swap.
I wouldn't mind just Overhauling my Getrag but im stuck on what to do. Thank for the Help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't offer any help on the repair but revving at 4000 at 70 mph in 5th is way way wrong. You should only be around 2500-2700 rpm. It sounds like you have a badly slipping clutch disk. If that's the case, the pressure plate and flywheel are probably damaged, too.

If you can't get it repaired and want to retain a 5 speed, grab an Isuzu transmission, along with it's cables, slave cylinder and transmission mounts. They're much more plentiful than Getrags and it's an easy swap.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-13-2014).]

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mantrans.com/node/1

They are located in Tallahassee, FL. The last time I checked a rebuilt getrag was ~$800 with a $125 core charge. They probably wont have one in stock either. When my getrag had issues I had the Fiero stores rebuild kit and got new throw-out bearings, clutch fork bushings plus a new .master cylinder (mine was leaking) a new slave (get from Rodney). I had the fly wheel resurfaced, 87 flywheels are hard to find.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock