Steering rack confusion by bighairybrad
Started on: 07-12-2014 08:33 PM
Replies: 5 (241 views)
Last post by: FTF Engineering on 07-13-2014 10:49 AM
bighairybrad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bighairybradSend a Private Message to bighairybradEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding the rack on my 87 GT with a new bushing and inner tie rods form Rodney. The issue I am having is when inserting the pinion gear back into the rack the manual says to start with 49.8 mm of the rack protruding from the housing and the pinion gear pinch bolt notch at the 4:30 position. The confusing part is that when the gear is inserted the "finished" position in the manual has the pinch bolt notch at the 3pm position and 49.8mm of the rack still protruding from the housing. As I tap the pinion gear in it meshes with the rack gear and pulls more of the rack into the housing. So unless I am loosing my freakin mind (possible it is 111degrees in my garage today) there is no way for that start and end measurement to be the same. Can anyone give me some advice on this. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Playindirty1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this is my rack from my late model 86 GT with Rodney bushing being installed. I ran into that problem as well but decided to put it back together at what I thought looked right and using Rodney's instructions. Basically Ignoring the dimensions, and lined up my front tires with the rear using string, then aligned the pinion with the rack in accordance with my steering wheel position before I tightened down the column. The star key I believe had a specific turn ratio but was in the manual. Sorry don't remember from off top of my head. When I did alignment at the shop my alignment wasn't to far off, but still needed. I have also read that if your rack feels sloppy after reinstall tighten down the star key more could help. I didn't need to do that though. Hope this helped a little good luck with the overhaul.
Playindirty1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Playindirty1

51 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Ill try this time for photo sorry still learning this fancy stuff
bighairybrad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bighairybradSend a Private Message to bighairybradEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply and nice red paint job on the rack. I ended up stripping the paint off mine. It was a rebuild from autozone and they painted the entire thing including the bellows with this thin black paint that you could scratch off with your fingernails. Based on that and the fact that the rack is only two years old and already needs rebuilding I wasn't about to get another Autozone rebuild....lifetime warranty or not. I will definitely try your suggestion with the string. I did end up getting the pinion gear pretty close to the numbers in the manual. Mine was at about 51mm with the pinion gear at the 3pm position. It may have been a different measurement since this rack has the sport steering option. I'll be putting it in tomorrow.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whether the pinion rotates to the 3:00 position and the shaft stays stationary, or the pinion stays stationary and the rack moves while installing the pinion, the result is the same. To double check that the proper teeth are meshed once it's installed simply use a pair of vise-grips to rotate the pinion shaft until 49.8 mms of the rack are showing again. If at that point the notch on the pinion shaft is at 3:00, then you're good to go.
FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think about it this way... Because of the shape of the curved teeth on the pinion, something MUST move when you mesh those teeth with the straight teeth on the rack. Either the rack must slide a little, or the pinion shaft must turn a little. You simply cannot engage the pinion teeth with the rack without SOMETHING moving somewhere.

If you're operating from a recommended starting point, then the ending point should end up where desired.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock