LS4/Procharger question by Steve25
Started on: 07-12-2014 03:32 PM
Replies: 13 (798 views)
Last post by: gmctyphoon1992 on 07-16-2014 03:31 AM
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a Fiero with an LS4, if you look really hard, is there room for a Procharger?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the water pump you use, how your alternator is mounted, and if you have an a/c compressor run by the engine too, it could be possible.

A small turbo would be much easier to do, though.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cantilever it off the front of the engine in the battery tray area or use a jackshaft (like the magnachargers) to drive the procharger mounted off the rear of the heads (over the transmission).
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dobey, I am just not a fan of turbos. I will be doing a dual exhaust so it would be TT.

fieroguru, I believe that you have an LS4 Fiero? Or have done a swap? The jackshaft may be a way to go. Routing the air would be interesting. I was planning to use the upper part of the trunk for an after cooler.

Will, Yeah, I think it would be fun. Maybe you can pick me up a blem from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 07-13-2014).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:
fieroguru, I believe that you have an LS$ Fiero? Or have done a swap? The jackshaft may be a way to go. Routing the air would be interesting. I was planning to use the upper part of the trunk for an after cooler.

Correct, I did a LS4/F40 swap to my personal Fiero.

------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-13-2014).]

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Cantilever it off the front of the engine in the battery tray area or use a jackshaft (like the magnachargers) to drive the procharger mounted off the rear of the heads (over the transmission).

It will be an LS4/4T65E-HD.

So you think that it is possible?

If I go ahead with this project I would like to have the Procharger mounting and placement already determined to avoid doing something that will make it difficult or impossible later.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\L67\L26\4T65E-HD (Retired)

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:
So you think that it is possible?

I certainly think its possible, but it will require extensive design and fabrication for either method.
There is quite a bit of room to work with in the engine bay:

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pic. It may be doable.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not use the top end of an LS9?
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Why not use the top end of an LS9?

correct me if im wrong but I seem to remember someone trying to put an LS2 manifold on an LS4 and it wouldnt line up and didnt fit. Was that you Fieroguru? I remember you working with the LS2 intake or trying too anyways

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 07-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

correct me if im wrong but I seem to remember someone trying to put an LS2 manifold on an LS4 and it wouldnt line up and didnt fit. Was that you Fieroguru? I remember you working with the LS2 intake or trying too anyways

Several LS4's are currently running LS2 intake manifolds and the picture of my LS4 shown above has an LS2 intake on it as well. They can be made to fit and how much work that takes really depends on if you plan to keep DoD or not.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

The picture you're referring to had the intake sitting backwards. They fit just fine after a small modification to the oil pressure sending unit boss on the valley cover.

Edit: Found the image you were talking about:

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 07-15-2014).]

gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The picture you're referring to had the intake sitting backwards. They fit just fine after a small modification to the oil pressure sending unit boss on the valley cover.

Edit: Found the image you were talking about:

Yea thats exactly it. good find sir

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock