ECM code jack on a 86 GT by 1Fred
Started on: 07-11-2014 04:48 PM
Replies: 9 (142 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-12-2014 10:02 AM
1Fred

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FredSend a Private Message to 1FredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the jack I jumper to read the ECM codes? I also need information on replacing the bulbs in the dash cluster. Thank you

[This message has been edited by 1Fred (edited 07-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's how to retrieve the codes. https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes As for the bulbs, you will have to remove the back of the instrument cluster, and I believe you can reach some of them that way, but for some of the lower ones you will have to remove the cluster. There are instructions in a Haynes manual, and probably a thread here on the forum about it also.

Jim
1Fred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FredSend a Private Message to 1FredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the article here on where the connector should be, but my lighter is between the seats and all I have is a Chilton's Manual and it isn'r much good. Thanks for the reply
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using the appropriate Torx bit, remove the black trim plate where the lighter is located. Peek back inside and on the passenger side of the opening, you should see the ALDL connector. The two terminals that you jumper are the two on the lower row, passenger end of the ALDL. Illustrations in the manuals show the ALDL as it's mounted underneath the dash in other vehicles. In the Fiero application, for some reason they mounted it upside down, so the 2 terminals are just the opposite.

Be sure you have the ignition off when you insert the jumper and when you remove the jumper to prevent possible damage to the ECM. Record any codes stored, then go back to the battery area and unplug the round barrel type connector for about a minute to clear the trouble codes. It's easier than disconnecting the battery cable and it doesn't delete your radio pre-sets.

Welcome to Fiero fun and frustration. I was up in Yorktown a few years ago and bought an 86GT from the owner of the Duke of York Hotel on Water Street. Nice area up there.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-11-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Fred:

I've seen the article here on where the connector should be, but my lighter is between the seats and all I have is a Chilton's Manual and it isn'r much good. Thanks for the reply

It's right behind that plate that surrounds the lighter, just like Fierofool said. Just remove 2 screws with the torx bit heads. The link I provided didn't say where it was located. I was assuming that was a given.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-12-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Fred:

A ya in this case it is in even the Chilton manual, where the OB1 plug is, as others have said it is right behind the lighter plate, remove the 2 torx screws holding that on, remove the plate and you can't miss it. just because in most other cars it was visible doesn't mean it is in all of them.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

1Fred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FredSend a Private Message to 1FredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to all that replied to my request for help in finding the ECM test connector, if it wasn't for this web site and you, I would never have found it.
1Fred
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

LOL he's helping stop telling him to stop helping, That a future Fiero mechanic that guy has right there, or maybe he could be his camera man next time he makes a you tube video.

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock