3800sc... Smoke when hitting bumps by Asphalt Risin
Started on: 07-11-2014 04:40 PM
Replies: 6 (159 views)
Last post by: Asphalt Risin on 07-13-2014 04:14 PM
Asphalt Risin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't turn up anything in search related to this, but as the title says..... I'm throwing up a cloud of white smoke when i hit any aggressive bump in the road. The smoke plooms up at the rear window. (Presumably off the exhaust manifold nearest the firewall) There is no smoke at any other time driving or sitting idle. I've been all over the car, and aside from slight valve cover leakage, I can see nothing that would account for it. My mechanical knowledge is still what you'd call the "learning" stage, so I'm hoping to hear a few suggestions as to what to check.

I don't see any loss in fluid levels, and nothing is over filled. It's not tire rub, or bottoming out. It literally appears as though you've thrown a glass of water on a hot engine when it happens. Considerable amount of smoke. Odour is tough to tell because its so brief, and behind me, but id guess engine oil. Hopefully that adequately describes what I'm seeing. If it would help, I can take pics of the engine tomorrow to see if anything stands out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like oil is leaking from the valve cover & puddling up above the exhaust manifold, then splashing down when you hit a bump...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Sounds like oil is leaking from the valve cover & puddling up above the exhaust manifold, then splashing down when you hit a bump...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Yep,oil is pooling around the valve covers. I had the same thing happen years ago. Changed valve cover gaskets, problem solved.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Yep,oil is pooling around the valve covers. I had the same thing happen years ago. Changed valve cover gaskets, problem solved.

X3.....One little drop produces a nice white cloud of smoke..Get u a set of Felpro VC gaskets and ull be set..
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes me feel better that you guys are all on the same page. ....That was where I intended to start, considering its all I can find. But I was concerned I may be overlooking something obvious. Thanks for the replies.

........I'm guessing the vavle cover nearest the fire wall will be a bit of a challenge eh?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Asphalt Risin:

Makes me feel better that you guys are all on the same page. ....That was where I intended to start, considering its all I can find. But I was concerned I may be overlooking something obvious. Thanks for the replies.

........I'm guessing the vavle cover nearest the fire wall will be a bit of a challenge eh?

Little bit of a pain but nothing to difficult. Just be sure not to cross thread the VC putting them back in. Easy to do on thback one cause of limited working area..
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Little bit of a pain but nothing to difficult. Just be sure not to cross thread the VC putting them back in. Easy to do on thback one cause of limited working area..

Thanks. I'll be carefull of that. ...and likely pull the decklid, to make it easier.

....I have found something else though.......
There is a plug (firewall side of block, toward driver side) with fluid accumulating around it (not engine oil). Not sure what the plug is, or why there's fluid around it. ...but its enough that its dripping occassionally just sitting parked.
I checked the lines/hoses above it. ...dont see anything at this point.

Directly beside that, there is a machined hole in the block..... I'm assuming its a blank hole, but just wanted to be certain its not supposed to be plugged off.

(edit to add: both pictures are taken from the under side of the car)

[This message has been edited by Asphalt Risin (edited 07-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock