Preventing flat spotting by Csjag
Started on: 07-11-2014 08:15 AM
Replies: 89 (1950 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-22-2014 08:40 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was reading my latest issue of AAA magazine and I came across tips for storing a car. The author said to help prevent flat spotting of the tires on cars stored for months at a time you should inflate the tires to 45 psi. Just thought I would pass this info along for what's its worth. Of course the air pressure would probably leak down over a period of time so I would imagine the tires would have to be checked for pressure periodically while the car is in storage.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jackstands work better.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right you are but the article was written for people who don't know how to do anything to their cars.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good tip.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Canada we store our fun cars for 6 months at a time, in fact I own a storage building where I house close to 90 cars every winter. I can tell you that "flat spotting" or whatever else people call it these days is a thing that went out with bias ply tires. Steel belted radials simply don't get flat spots on them from storage (at least mine don't and neither do any of my customer's cars). It's one of those wives tales that gets repeated generation after generation, but it's without merit on modern tires.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id argue that Blooze. I had brand new Coker radial r edlines on the Superbee. If it sat a month in the winter, and you got on the freeway it would shake your teeth out for the first 5 miles or so...then got smooth as glass. The new radials on the motorhome are the same way only even worse...and goes away in a few miles. It shakes so much I cant read the GPS, even shakes it off the mount. After those few miles its as smooth as being in your living room.

The best way already mentioned is just put it on jackstands under the ball joints so suspension stays loaded. Some of my high end collector customers bought these special wheel chocks that are cut out to cup the tire at the bottom to keep them from flatspotting. I cant testify to them since I never used them myself. I think California Car Covers or Griots sells them. I run 40pnds in all my tires anyway, except the RV thats set at 90pnds.

I base stuff like that on actuality/reality, not what the techies or product sellers tell you.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-11-2014).]

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also would argue that flatsptting is real. I parked my Mountaineer for three months and it vibrates like a son-of-a-b17ch when I drove it after that. From experience. It will take a few hundred miles to get the tires round again
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you can get 4 of these, cost me about $120, so I imagine a place like Harbor Freight would sell them as cheap or cheaper. Not under my Fiero, but you get the picture

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We fill the tires to 40 psi and park on doubled up patches of old carpet and still get some minor flat spotting. Nothing to knock your filings out, but still there for the first 10 miles. Yes jack stands are the best answer. As for roller dollies, though I have not used them, I suspect they work as well as the cement floor and will give you 2 flat spots per tire.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 07-11-2014).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cement floors breathe moisture (which is why carpet isn't a bad idea either), the dollies don't, and the dollies are curved, not flat.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2014 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Here in Canada we store our fun cars for 6 months at a time, in fact I own a storage building where I house close to 90 cars every winter. I can tell you that "flat spotting" or whatever else people call it these days is a thing that went out with bias ply tires. Steel belted radials simply don't get flat spots on them from storage (at least mine don't and neither do any of my customer's cars). It's one of those wives tales that gets repeated generation after generation, but it's without merit on modern tires.

wanna bet, it has zero to do with the steel belt or being a bias ply tire.. it depends on what the ply's are made of.. I have new tires on my fiero and they do it.. and the goodyears on my SS does it.. look at the sidewall of the tire it tells you what the ply's are made of, I'd have to look to see what mine are ,want to say polyester,, might be nylon.. but that is what causes the flatspotting.. that goes away after a few miles... over inflating the tire will only cause the sidewall to start cracking early.. best thing is to jack stand and deflate tire to 15psi .. and cover from sunlight,
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Id argue that Blooze. I had brand new Coker radial r edlines on the Superbee. If it sat a month in the winter, and you got on the freeway it would shake your teeth out for the first 5 miles or so...then got smooth as glass. The new radials on the motorhome are the same way only even worse...and goes away in a few miles. It shakes so much I cant read the GPS, even shakes it off the mount. After those few miles its as smooth as being in your living room.

The best way already mentioned is just put it on jackstands under the ball joints so suspension stays loaded. Some of my high end collector customers bought these special wheel chocks that are cut out to cup the tire at the bottom to keep them from flatspotting. I cant testify to them since I never used them myself. I think California Car Covers or Griots sells them. I run 40pnds in all my tires anyway, except the RV thats set at 90pnds.

I base stuff like that on actuality/reality, not what the techies or product sellers tell you.

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
wanna bet, it has zero to do with the steel belt or being a bias ply tire.. it depends on what the ply's are made of.. I have new tires on my fiero and they do it.. and the goodyears on my SS does it.. look at the sidewall of the tire it tells you what the ply's are made of, I'd have to look to see what mine are ,want to say polyester,, might be nylon.. but that is what causes the flatspotting.. that goes away after a few miles... over inflating the tire will only cause the sidewall to start cracking early.. best thing is to jack stand and deflate tire to 15psi .. and cover from sunlight,

Sometimes what you read in magazines and the idiotnet was written by people who have no real life experience in the field they are writing about. Anyone who would believe that BS is dumber than a bag of hammers !

It happens unless the tires are not on the ground with any weight on them. Ever wonder why tire stores don't store their tires on the floor, for this very reason, they are stored in racks that help to prevent this from happening, by having the least amount of contact that could cause this to happen. Roger and E.Furgal are absolutely correct, while it does go away after driving a few miles at speed it still happens to all kinds of tires even brand new ones.

I should have known you are an engineer !
You can't tell an engineer anything !

Bloozberry: Occupation: Retired Aerospace Engineer, Auto Storage & Restoration

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-12-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Sometimes what you read in magazines and the idiotnet was written by people who have no real life experience in the field they are writing about. Anyone who would believe that BS is dumber than a bag of hammers.

So let me see if I get this straight, you're outright calling me dumber than a bag of hammers? Telling me I have no "real life experience" despite having just said I store upwards of 90 cars for six months every year, then giving me a facepalm because I'm an engineer? All because I have a different experience than you regarding tire storage? Did I summarize that correctly?

For you to say that the "idiotnet was written by people who have no real life experience" is more than just a little ironic especially when you offer your unsupported opinion about a topic without stating your experience nor your education. But you do prove your point to a certain extent nevertheless, the internet is full of garbage. Your dig at engineers in general, and me in particular because I am one, also reveals more about you than me.

Back on topic: If you guys experience flat spots on your tires, then I suspect that either your weather is hot enough to make a difference that isn't seen here in Canada, or the tires I and my customers buy here are of a different quality or construction (or much more likely, in Steve's opinion I haven't a clue what I'm talking about because I'm an ignorant engineer with no real life experience).

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Cement floors breathe moisture (which is why carpet isn't a bad idea either), the dollies don't, and the dollies are curved, not flat.

Those should work. At first I thought your dollies were boxed style with the centers cut out. The rounded style is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 07-13-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends on what kind of material is used in the chords of a tire as to whether it will develop flat spots or not. It also depends somewhat on the temperature during storage.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coker tires are not cheapos and mine did it all the time. Ohio is not that far from Canada. Ive had it happen to everything from Coopers to Michelins and Pirellis. I would agree that most of it is due to belt materials. Ive had extreme cases where belts even separated from storage.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, I've had some get flat spots, but I've also had cars stored 8 months with no flat spots, even with a tire that lost air and was squatty withonly 15 lbs. at the end of storage time. But theflat spots always go away quick.
Does it damage a tire?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it causes belts separations or the flat spot is permanent...id call that damage. If it goes away after driving on it, i would say its not. I have had tires that stayed permanently flat spotted and never rode smooth again. Goodyear Eagles on my Mustang GT permanently flat spotted after a few months, I had to put up with the shaking or buy new tires. Never got Goodyears again. I halfassed fixed them by having them shaved/ trued.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I store mine from October-ish until April or May right on the shop floor at normal PSI and haven't ever had flat spots. The car has had the same brand/model of tires since I've bought it (on the 2nd set now). I'm drawing a blank right now as to what that brand is, suppose I could check when I get home. I keep the shop right around 40 degrees in the winter. Just my experience.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fastblack

3696 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Never got Goodyears again.

Amen!
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So let me see if I get this straight, you're outright calling me dumber than a bag of hammers? Telling me I have no "real life experience" despite having just said I store upwards of 90 cars for six months every year, then giving me a facepalm because I'm an engineer? All because I have a different experience than you regarding tire storage? Did I summarize that correctly?

For you to say that the "idiotnet was written by people who have no real life experience" is more than just a little ironic especially when you offer your unsupported opinion about a topic without stating your experience nor your education. But you do prove your point to a certain extent nevertheless, the internet is full of garbage. Your dig at engineers in general, and me in particular because I am one, also reveals more about you than me.

Back on topic: If you guys experience flat spots on your tires, then I suspect that either your weather is hot enough to make a difference that isn't seen here in Canada, or the tires I and my customers buy here are of a different quality or construction (or much more likely, in Steve's opinion I haven't a clue what I'm talking about because I'm an ignorant engineer with no real life experience).

As seen as the thump from flat spots are more pronounced in the colder weather... how are those hammers in that bag..
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just to stir to pot.

I also have (almost - explained further down) never experienced flat spot on my cars when stored. In fact the 88 for a couple of years was stored for nearly 11+ months with no issue noticed (only drove it once or twice those years).

The only time that this happened: drove the Fiero to work, when I left work (8 hour shift) the tire definitely had a flat spot - the cause? Super freezing temperatures, it was -43°C (although not that different in F at that temp). Once the outside temp "warmed" up the next day to the -30 range, no longer was an issue (just the 1 time).

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As seen as the thump from flat spots are more pronounced in the colder weather...

Really. Says who? You? Based on what? Your vast experience and education? Oh right, you haven't listed any of that in your profile but we're just supposed to take it for granted you know what you're talking about. Is that about right? I guess I've been schooled.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most rubber is softer in warmer temps. I have noticed that.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So does that mean the harder cold rubber will be less likely to take a "set" or more likely? Who really knows and who is guessing? I really know that my tires have never gotten flat spots and that's all that matters to me.

If others have a different experience then so be it. I resent being called dumb as a bag of hammers because of my experience and education, by two people who nonetheless refuse to cite their backgrounds or experience. I'm done playing in this juvenile game. Back to what matters... my build thread. Good luck E Furgal and 84fiero123 and happy hunting for someone else to mock.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're all wrong.

My all-seasons don't flat-spot noticeably, but my race tires (also radials) do flat spot.

Generalizing on anything is one way to guarantee you'll be at least half-wrong.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my own experience, the flat spotting ive had only happens in colder weather. Never had one do it in warm weather. I guess the rubber and belts are just more pliable when warm, and take a set when theyre cold a lot easier. Thus after they set in cold and flat spot, warming them up by driving usually makes it go away. So Id have to say heat is related to it, though not based on any scientific knowledge. No, I didnt bother googleing it. I only know what happens in my specific case.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really. Says who? You? Based on what? Your vast experience and education? Oh right, you haven't listed any of that in your profile but we're just supposed to take it for granted you know what you're talking about. Is that about right? I guess I've been schooled.

says WHO tire engineers. you know the ones that test,build,test,build,test,build them.. THATS WHO.. but as seen as you are an "engineer" in your own mind.. I'll believe those that work on tires as their livelihood over some cranky guy on a forum that post stuff like above but goes by Bloozeberry.. calling out my profile.. while you hide behind a screen name...

this is what we are dealing with folks..

from bloozeberry.. and I quote..
Care to mock me some more? Let's have a look at what you bring to the table... oh, that's right... nothing you care to share in your profile. Gee I wonder why that is... your juvenile response and your ratings bar tell me more than enough about who you are and what your opinion is worth. What are you? 15? Prove your immaturity and give me a neg.

Bloozeberry.. GROW UP.. and/or stop being a crank old fart..
I know I know.. Goodyear,BF Goodrich,Bridgestone,Michelin don't know what they are taking about.. they are only the engineers that do the work to bring tires to the road , to the track.. what the hell do they know.. Guess they all lied to us when we picked up our tires for sat and sunday at N.H.M.S.

have a good night... AND FYI bloozeberry.. only loosers give people negs.. you know, the ones that still have the brainpower of highschool and need to only have those in their "click" around.. I'm sure you can relate..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 07-15-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AND FYI bloozeberry.. only loosers give people negs.. you know, the ones that still have the brainpower of highschool and need to only have those in their "click" around.. I'm sure you can relate..

Whatever a "looser" is, I guess I'm one as I gave you a fully deserved neg a long time ago.

And by the way Brainiac, perhaps "click" your mouse while navigating Google and look up the definition of "clique".
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Whatever a "looser" is, I guess I'm one as I gave you a fully deserved neg a long time ago.

And by the way Brainiac, perhaps "click" your mouse while navigating Google and look up the definition of "clique".

na, more fun driving you grammar police nuts.... you didn't "just" neg me, you went on a campaign to get your "click"(haha) to follow you like sheep...

looser is like hoser, you're from Canada, you should understand that, eh!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you didn't "just" neg me, you went on a campaign to get your "click"(haha) to follow you like sheep...

A "campaign"?

I'm flattered that you believe I have control over anyone here. Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no such sway.

PFF members decide for themselves how they're going to rate someone. I kind of doubt they appreciate being referred to as "sheep".
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A "campaign"?

I'm flattered that you believe I have control over anyone here. Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no such sway.

PFF members decide for themselves how they're going to rate someone. I kind of doubt they appreciate being referred to as "sheep".

well if there wasn't anyone you asked to neg me, then no one can feel anything about the comment about sheep, now could they??? if you're gonna fib, keep track of your wording, MR. grammar police..
ya, you neg'd me cause I didn't agree with your b/s about rock auto... somehow you think they should eat the customs fee's.. that thread was great.. blaming a parts vendor for your countries fees/taxes/etc.. it was priceless, and classless..

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may be one of the wierder topics to see an argument start over
We should give out some kind of award to the original poster, like a lucky contestant, or a 1 millionth customer
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems to me that whenever the subject of tires or catalytic converters comes up, the thread ends up in flames. Weird.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 07-15-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So does that mean the harder cold rubber will be less likely to take a "set" or more likely? Who really knows and who is guessing? I really know that my tires have never gotten flat spots and that's all that matters to me.

If others have a different experience then so be it. I resent being called dumb as a bag of hammers because of my experience and education, by two people who nonetheless refuse to cite their backgrounds or experience. I'm done playing in this juvenile game. Back to what matters... my build thread. Good luck E Furgal and 84fiero123 and happy hunting for someone else to mock.

Funny how one spring after the snow melted that when I found I had a brand new set of front tires that had flat spots in them from sitting all winter and went back to the place I bought the tires from they put the tires on the spin balancer and found a flat spot. Explain that? they replace both tires free of charge because they basically had less than a few hundred miles on them being it was, how did you put it,

"toys we drive 6 month out of the year."

I live in Maine if you hadn't noticed where it gets cold as well every winter, some tires are made better than others, defects can happen to anything.

Steve
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if you're gonna fib, keep track of your wording...

ya, you neg'd me cause I didn't agree with your b/s about rock auto... somehow you think they should eat the customs fee's.. that thread was great.. blaming a parts vendor for your countries fees/taxes/etc.. it was priceless, and classless..

If I'm going to "fib"? Coming from you, that's classic.

I keep track of a lot of stuff, including how you were totally out of line in the RockAuto thread. I stated nothing in that thread about how RockAuto should "eat the customs fees".

You either can't read plain English, or you're purposely lying and just being a troll. Yeah, you'd know all about being "classless".
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIRST OF ALL
I never called you as stupid as a bag of hammers.... I only asked how is that bag... defensive arn't we... the only Juvenile one has been YOU. and all because a few with real engineering info on tires, has the tech and info that disagree's with your claims.. for someone that claims to have been an engineer to ask if the tire will take more of a "set in the cold or heat.. REALLY.. that's 8th grade science..
The real issue not addressed by this thread, even with "engineers" like yourself replying , is. Cars left sitting on tires for long periods of time with thevehicles weight on them will take a set.. the steel belts even add to this problem , and as you drive around with the tire thumping away.. it is separating the belt from the tread and the plys from the different layers of rubber.. and is one of the reasons for tread squrm, and belt separation, ply separation, bubbles and ovaled tires.. Tires are not cheap anymore.. jack stands are.. air pumps that use the cars power are cheap... any car that sits for more than 2-3 week should at least be moved around every few days even if it's just turning the tire 1/4 way around.. and more than this, on stands and tires brought to 15 psi.. and if sunlight or CFL lighting, covered.. this will be the difference in tires being safe or not.. and lasting until out of date.. YES there is a date on the tires.. and when buying new you should look for it.. you don't want older stock if you can help it.. daily drivers this isn't much of an issue as they'll see miles that will force replacement most times before the date code.. but for fun,fair weather vehicles.. this can mean getting years out of a set, replacing them with low miles on them..

(lifted from the tire rack site) used for sake of keeping the in house engineers at bay of try'n to debunk facts..

When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Number (often referred to as the tire’s serial number). Unlike vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and the serial numbers used on many other consumer goods (which identify one specific item), Tire Identification Numbers are really batch codes that identify the week and year the tire was produced.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that Tire Identification Numbers be a combination of the letters DOT, followed by ten, eleven or twelve letters and/or numbers that identify the manufacturing location, tire size and manufacturer's code, along with the week and year the tire was manufactured.
Tires Manufactured Since 2000
Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.
Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

While the entire Tire Identification Number is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current regulations also require that DOT and the first digits of the Tire Identification Number must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Number that appears incomplete and requires looking at the tire’s other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Number

The use of a partial Tire Identification Number on the one sidewall (shown above) reduces the risk of injury to the mold technician that would have to install the weekly date code on the top sidewall portion of a hot tire mold.

Tires Manufactured Before 2000

The Tire Identification Number for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that tires would not be in service for ten years. While they were required to provide the same information as today’s tires, the week and year the tire was produced was contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured before 2000 with the earlier Tire Identification Number format:

While the previous Tire Identification Number format identified that a tire was built in the 8th year of a decade, there was no universal identifier that confirmed which decade (tires produced in the 1990s may have a small triangle following the Tire Identification Number to identify the decade).
And finally, hold on to your sales receipt. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. So if you purchase new tires that were manufactured exactly two years ago they will be covered for a total of six years (four years from the date of purchase) as long as you have your receipt. If you lose your receipt, your tires' warranty coverage will end five years from the week the tire was produced (resulting in the tire manufacturer's warranty coverage ending only three years from the date of purchase in this example).
And lastly CHECK WITH YOUR STATE most have laws on how old a tire can be before it becomes "faulty equipment" in their eye's. This is a biggie as lawyers can use, the use of out dated rolling stock against you in the court of law.. and your insurance legally can deny your claim..

hope this helps and gets the subject back on track of facts that truly will help. and out of the self-experts, and those that think the heading "engineer" apllies to everything and anything..

Grammar police in 3-2-1

------------------
Is there anybody listening?
Is there anyone that sees what's going on?
Read between the lines,
criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself and feel the walls
become sand beneath your feet

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does the manufacture date of a tire have to do with setting the "facts" straight on likelihood that a tire is going to getting flat spots?

Once you've answered that one (which I know you won't), go back and re-read my first post. I qualified my statement right from the get-go that tires don't get flat spots on them anymore by stating "at least mine don't and neither do any of my customer's cars". Then I stated "If others have a different experience then so be it." So what are you droning on about?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does the manufacture date of a tire have to do with setting the "facts" straight on likelihood that a tire is going to getting flat spots?

Once you've answered that one (which I know you won't), go back and re-read my first post. I qualified my statement right from the get-go that tires don't get flat spots on them anymore by stating "at least mine don't and neither do any of my customer's cars". Then I stated "If others have a different experience then so be it." So what are you droning on about?

UM, BECAUSE THE FACT ON NOT GETTING FLAT SPOTS ARE LISTED POST AGO AND IN MY LAST... THE TIRE DATE INFO WAS A B-O-N-U-S. you missed it, as you are to busy looking for something, anything to pick apart.. try again, as this one was full of fail..

must be something in patricks and your water up there, eh..

BRB have to check on ip addy's.. I have a hunch

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

must be something in patricks and your water up there, eh..

BRB have to check on ip addy's..

Tell us what you find.

I have a hunch

I'm not surprised. Straighten up.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page