Looking to get a fiero! by tom10122
Started on: 07-10-2014 09:31 AM
Replies: 18 (484 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 07-10-2014 06:23 PM
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to get a car. been driving an f250 for quite some time and need something with better fuel economy, looks and awesomeness . Did a lot of research into the fiero and now am seriously looking into getting one. V6 is a must so only 85-88. I've read about all the fire reports , all .0005% of them, only on the iron duke 84 right? If I could I'd like an 88 for the suspension and steering but I really don't think I'd mind something pre 88 either. My suspension is pretty stiff as it is so anything would really be an upgrade. As for the heavy steering, I currently have no powersteering when parking so again, anything is an upgrade lol. I also heard of some overheating issues with all models, is that related to improper coolant bleeding ? Anything I should look for problem wise?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't do it, whatever you do don't do it ! These things are death traps as everyone knows they catch fire all ten of those cars caught fire so all the others must be just waiting for the right time to burn themselves and you up. Besides they only got a 5 star crash rating on them back when they were made. How anyone of us has ever survived driving these things all these years is a miracle.

That was sarcastic in case you didn't get it, we have had problems with that.

Welcome aboard the nut ship, you have to be nuts to own one of these !

If you really want gas mileage the 4 cylinder is the way to go, don't believe all that fire crap, a good 4 cylinder with a 4 or 5 speed will get you close to 40 MPG and they are a lot more fun to drive than an automatic. I have had both and currently have an 86 SE with an auto and the V6 our first Fiero an 84 is still out back for parts, something you might want to consider. Having a parts car is almost a necessity with these antiques. Beside they are like potato chips you can't have just one and be satisfied. many here have several !

overheating is yet another myth because people don't know how to burp their babies and blame the car, just like how all of them eventually catch fire.

They are plastic so rust is not a problem anywhere except for the engine cradles that are one of the many steel parts, remember the plastic panels are just on the outside of a completely steel superstructure so anyone you look at pay close attention to that engine cradle and any other steel parts underneath. especially if the car was in the rust belt.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

Looking to get a car. been driving an f250 for quite some time and need something with better fuel economy, looks and awesomeness . Did a lot of research into the fiero and now am seriously looking into getting one. V6 is a must so only 85-88. I've read about all the fire reports , all .0005% of them, only on the iron duke 84 right? If I could I'd like an 88 for the suspension and steering but I really don't think I'd mind something pre 88 either. My suspension is pretty stiff as it is so anything would really be an upgrade. As for the heavy steering, I currently have no powersteering when parking so again, anything is an upgrade lol. I also heard of some overheating issues with all models, is that related to improper coolant bleeding ? Anything I should look for problem wise?

Where are you located? I have one for sale... '86 SE (V6), 4 speed.

Basically any fiero can catch fire. The cars that were susceptible to fires were either fixed, or are off the road. Now, with an '84, you just have to check the wiring harness that is on the firewall, and make sure the heat shields are in place. I had an '84 and didn't have any issues, but it was my understanding the engine was replaced under warranty. BTW, The Fiero wasn't the only model recalled for the connecting rod issue. Other GM cars that used those same parts were recalled. My uncles car (maybe a celebrity) was recalled and a new engine was installed). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ''84, or any other model. A properly maintained Fiero is no different than any 80s GM car. BUT you have to remember, they are old cars, so they will need to be checked over before and after buying.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No overheating problem that I know of. You just dont want to have a dented cooling tube under the car, and make sure if you change the coolant that you burp out all the air bubbles.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I regularly drive two Fieros (86 V6, and 88 4-cylinder), and neither overheat. Both have stock 195-degree thermostats. Either can be left idling with the AC on to keep the wife cool while I go into a store, with no overheating. Either can be driven hard on twisty mountain roads, with no overheating.
Any Fiero that overheats has a problem that needs to be fixed.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem wise, look for rust. It hides because of the plastic panels. An easy place to check is pull back the trunk carpet and see how bad it is there at the seams and corners, also reach in for a lip of metal above the rear wheel, its gets crusty there too. Listen for cracked exhaust manifold/leak.

No rust:
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I wasn't worried much about fires seeing as only 100 out of 300k had em Just double checking. I am over in NJ just an FYI. I know the 4 cyl gets great gas milage but I don't think I'd be able to drive something with those looks and have less than 100hp :/. V6 should get good enough mpg for me my truck only got 10 if that, so 22 to possibly 28 would be great. I have heard about the dented cooling lines and was wondering how common that was?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have heard about the dented cooling lines and was wondering how common that was?

You can see it easily under the car. Someone would have had to jack or lift the car wrong to do it, or drive over a big rock or curb and bottom out just right.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

You can see it easily under the car. Someone would have had to jack or lift the car wrong to do it, or drive over a big rock or curb and bottom out just right.

Thanks I'll be sure to look for that.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys, I wasn't worried much about fires seeing as only 100 out of 300k had em Just double checking. I am over in NJ just an FYI. I know the 4 cyl gets great gas milage but I don't think I'd be able to drive something with those looks and have less than 100hp :/. V6 should get good enough mpg for me my truck only got 10 if that, so 22 to possibly 28 would be great. I have heard about the dented cooling lines and was wondering how common that was?

In NJ, you will want to inspect for rust issues. Pull back the trunk carpet as mentioned. Look at the cradle. If there is an exhaust leak, expect the worst... pulling the heads to fix broken bolts. It may not be that bad, but it could

You have to look at each car for dented pipes... as it really is up to who worked on it last. Tire shops seem to want to lift the car from the side (in the coolant pipe area).

I have never had a cooling problem in a Fiero, but again, I make sure everything is working like it is supposed to... just like any other car I own. The fiero is no worse or better when it comes to cooling issues, it all comes back to maintenance.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Don't do it, whatever you do don't do it ! These things are death traps as everyone knows they catch fire all ten of those cars caught fire so all the others must be just waiting for the right time to burn themselves and you up. Besides they only got a 5 star crash rating on them back when they were made. How anyone of us has ever survived driving these things all these years is a miracle.

I just went to my garage to double check... phew. Still not on fire!

Welcome to the forum Tom!!
PFF
System Bot
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

In NJ, you will want to inspect for rust issues. Pull back the trunk carpet as mentioned. Look at the cradle. If there is an exhaust leak, expect the worst... pulling the heads to fix broken bolts. It may not be that bad, but it could

You have to look at each car for dented pipes... as it really is up to who worked on it last. Tire shops seem to want to lift the car from the side (in the coolant pipe area).

I have never had a cooling problem in a Fiero, but again, I make sure everything is working like it is supposed to... just like any other car I own. The fiero is no worse or better when it comes to cooling issues, it all comes back to maintenance.

Like this ?

Are those the cooling pipes over on the right ? The two running next to each other.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cooling pipes run under the door. Shops tend to stick the jack under the door and start lifting. Bad. There are proper lifting points, which are shown in the manual.

see the coolant pipe under the door? (ignore the rest of the covered areas, as this is not stock)

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-10-2014).]

tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

cooling pipes run under the door. Shops tend to stick the jack under the door and start lifting. Bad. There are proper lifting points, which are shown in the manual.

see the coolant pipe under the door? (ignore the rest of the covered areas, as this is not stock)

Thanks jaskispyder !
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW I have gotten 30+ MPG with my 87 GT (V6, 5-speed). Pretty sure you'd be happy with that compared to your truck.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

FWIW I have gotten 30+ MPG with my 87 GT (V6, 5-speed). Pretty sure you'd be happy with that compared to your truck.

Yup, 29-30MPG with my 200K miles Formula (5 speed). I couldn't complain about that.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How tall are you?
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

How tall are you?

6' 2"?

[This message has been edited by tom10122 (edited 07-10-2014).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6-5. Me getting into a Fiero looks pretty ridiculous. Of course one has different seats and the other speaker boxes behind the headrests. The guys I bought them from were both under six feet.

Steering doesn't seem like an issue to me. On the highway it's already too light. With good shocks and tires the GT can be steered with one finger at low speeds.

Both of mine are a handful to drive in the summer. It seems the temp gauge is top center for a reason. I use the A/C even when it doesn't work because it turns the fans on. There is (or often was) a small fan located under the trunk carpet that is supposed to supply cool air to the coil and alternator through tubes that might still be there. There is a control module in the distributor that is prone to overheating. Many people carry spares just in case. There are lots of hoses to replace.

While there are common rust areas, it's not a democratic process. The fact that there is or is not rust in a particular area doesn't mean other areas are in similar condition. On my SE one radiator brace was decent while the other, two feet away, well I could have used a broom to clean up the debris. I'm seriously considering ways to do some regular and extensive welding.

Nevertheless, these are cheap, useful, and interesting cars to own, assuming you don't mind doing most things yourself.

Note: Two three-letter words ending in 'un' were left out.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 07-10-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock