Door hing pins wont go in by Playindirty1
Started on: 07-09-2014 09:58 PM
Replies: 4 (314 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-10-2014 09:22 AM
Playindirty1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats up guys? I bought Rodney's door hing pins and roller bushing and I am unable to sink the bottom pin all the way in. I have read Rsvl-Rider's post about the same thing
with no luck. I removed driver door and lower bracket for the roller bushing already and no problems. upon reinstall the lower pin will not and I mean WILL NOT go in any farther. Its sticking out well past the splins. I had it parked in the hanger so any tool I need will be available. I've done: Extension with BFH, wiggling the door, OD on Monster Energy and wail at it, even tried removing pin again to restart and it backs out a little then stops. Using hoist to hold the door btw. I wasent sure what was ment by the flairing tool witch I have done plenty. Any help thank you!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did a pair of pins last month. I used a giant pair of slip joint pliers and a couple of sockets. The jaws of the pliers will open up to 6" or more. Use a deep socket in the hinge to keep it from deforming when clamping with the pliers, and use the other (shallow) socket over the top of the pin. One jaw of the pliers goes on the head of the hinge pin and the other goes on the shallow socket. Squeeze hard, it will go. The key is the socket inside the hinge, if the hinge deforms at all when trying to push the pin, it will prevent it from seating because the clearances are tight. Remember, the hinge pin only needs to go in until the metal tabs pop out past the bushing.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/...locks-bigazz-pliers/

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 07-09-2014).]

Playindirty1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you sir. I will try that tomarrow for sure. Sounds like a good idea
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the clearances are Very tight. Put a jack under the door and try to get it PERFECTLY aligned and the pin should drop right in. DO NOT beat the pin in too hard or you will bend the hinge.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when you had the pins out and the doors off you should have seen marks made by the first set of pins ribs, I think it is possible you have the pin out of alignment with those original slots created by the original pins. The hinge holes have those and the new ones should be lined up with those for the pin to just slide in. Just before the pins are about to go into the hinge at those ribs grab the top or bottom of the hinge depending on which pin it is, one goes up one goes down. Grab the head with a pair of vice grips and give it a slight and I mean slight twist and then try to push the pin in. you must have your pin out of alignment with the original slots in the hinge. because they should go in fairly easily if the are lined up.

Worst case scenario grab a big C clamp and a socket, put the head of the pin under the clamp and the socket on the other end so that there is room for the pin to slide threw the hinge. if you understand that, I know it should just slide in fairly easily with either a tap with a hammer or the clamp method. You really shouldn't have to beat the living crap out of the pin to get it in, as others have said it could damage the hinge if you hit it to hard or to many times with to big a hammer.

http://youtu.be/vFkYOTKTFgQ

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-10-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock