Drive Belt Trouble by PurpleGryphon
Started on: 07-08-2014 08:16 PM
Replies: 16 (299 views)
Last post by: AVaill6 on 11-05-2018 09:12 AM
PurpleGryphon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive belt on my 85 Fiero 2.5 has been a little noisy ever since winter ended. It would squeal for a few seconds after it started, then be fine. Then it hopped off the pulleys while my brother was driving it to work and overheated. Everything is fine, though it took us a while to figure out the belt was missing. I bought a new belt and put it on and everything was fine until I turned onto my street and it overheated again. Made it home and put the belt back on. It twisted, so I fixed it. Started it up again and it was fine. Shut it off to clean things up, started it up for a run around the block, and the belt flipped around on me again. Why is this happening? My father says the symptoms indicate we might have the belt on the wrong channels in the pulleys or the pulleys may be misaligned. But I can't find anything that says how the belt is supposed to be installed and I'm frustrated. Anybody have some helpful input?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your vehicle has a belt idler pulley. Sounds like might be shot therefore proper tension is not being kept on the belt. To check, put a wrench on the pulley bolt and if you can move the tensioner without much effort you have found your problem.
PurpleGryphon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I think your vehicle has a belt idler pulley. Sounds like might be shot therefore proper tension is not being kept on the belt. To check, put a wrench on the pulley bolt and if you can move the tensioner without much effort you have found your problem.

I'm fairly certain the 2.5 doesn't have a tensioner.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PurpleGryphon:

I'm fairly certain the 2.5 doesn't have a tensioner.

Nope, not on the 85 2.5.

The noise right after starting means it's slightly loose, I was always able to get the noise to go away by retightening the belt. After a while it needs to be replaced, however. I replaced mine every year when I was daily driving the car.

On my 84, I put a breaker bar through a hole in the alternator bracket, and apply tension to the top mounting bolt, and tighten it with a ratchet and socket, then tighten the pivot bolt and nut. There should only be about half an inch of deflection at the point between the alternator and water pump.

Which grooves on the pulley vary depending on a few different factors. If you post pictures of the water pump and crank pulleys, I can tell you which ones to use.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected! Oh - clean the pulleys and be sure to use a top quality belt.....

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 07-08-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely you over tighten or alt or wp are bad. Either will break belt Cord layer cause flip belts. Flip belts are dead belts.

Has data of V belts too...
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PurpleGryphon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Likely you over tighten or alt or wp are bad. Either will break belt Cord layer cause flip belts. Flip belts are dead belts.

Has data of V belts too...
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

Before the new belt jumped off, everything was working perfectly, so I don't think there's a problem with my water pump or alternator.

I think my problem might actually be that when my dad installed the new belt (he gets carried away when he's around to help on the car, so it usually turns into him working on the car instead of helping me), he got it twisted. So it hopped off again and got wrecked, which is why it won't stay on anymore. There also could very well be antifreeze and/or oil on the pulleys.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There also could very well be antifreeze and/or oil on the pulleys.

Ah Why? the outside of that should be dry all over is there a leak or did someone spill something on the belts/pulleys?
Get a new belt and put it on yourself but before you do that clean off all the pulleys with something like brake clean and a rag.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PurpleGryphon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ah Why? the outside of that should be dry all over is there a leak or did someone spill something on the belts/pulleys?
Get a new belt and put it on yourself but before you do that clean off all the pulleys with something like brake clean and a rag.

Steve

Because when it overheated, there was coolant spray in the engine bay (from the pressure relief cap next to the valve cover) and my crank case breather gasket is torn, so I have a slight oil leak on the top of my valve cover.

I think the actual problem is that I washed it last week and didn't cover the belt. I used wax for the first time since I bought the car and within a few days, this happened.

I just bought a new Gates belt (the last one was a MasterPro) and I'm going to thoroughly clean the pulleys before I put it on. They all spin normally too, so it doesn't seem to be a water pump or alternator issue.
PurpleGryphon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PurpleGryphon

50 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Got the pulleys cleaned and the new belt on. Ran it out a few miles and back, hitting about 3K RPM in the process. Everything seems to be working fine.

However, there is a weird whistling noise coming from the belt/pulley side of the engine that gets louder/higher pitched as the RPM build. At idle, it's only detectable if I hold my ear near the gap between the engine and the side of the engine bay, but I can hear it from the driver's seat when accelerating. It gets mostly drown out by road noise when running at 60 MPH around 3K RPM, but not completely. I cannot seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, but the source seems closest to the alternator.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got the pulleys cleaned and the new belt on. Ran it out a few miles and back, hitting about 3K RPM in the process. Everything seems to be working fine.

However, there is a weird whistling noise coming from the belt/pulley side of the engine that gets louder/higher pitched as the RPM build. At idle, it's only detectable if I hold my ear near the gap between the engine and the side of the engine bay, but I can hear it from the driver's seat when accelerating. It gets mostly drown out by road noise when running at 60 MPH around 3K RPM, but not completely. I cannot seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, but the source seems closest to the alternator.

That noise is normal on the 2.5 dukes.

PFF
System Bot
PurpleGryphon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleGryphonSend a Private Message to PurpleGryphonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I remembered hearing it before, but it's been a while. Glad to know it's normal.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always used to have this problem with my 2.5 when using cheap belts.

A good Goodyear or similar belt pretty much fixed it.

Changing my accessories over to multi-rib belt with some parts off an 87/88 2.5 completely fixed it.
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone have the proper belt routing for the 85 2.5?
arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AVaill6:

anyone have the proper belt routing for the 85 2.5?

Couldn't be easier: alternator belt goes on the inside groove of crank and water pump to alternator, a/c belt goes on out groove of crank and water pump to compressor
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would misroutibg of the belt cause overcharging on the battery?
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AVaill6

14 posts
Member since Sep 2016
Having an overcharging issue all of a sudden after changing the belt

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay