Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  should i use a relay or a transistor question / keyless entry upgrade idea.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
should i use a relay or a transistor question / keyless entry upgrade idea. by mmeyer86gt/gtp
Started on: 07-08-2014 01:34 PM
Replies: 3 (244 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 07-09-2014 07:21 PM
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do i need a relay or transistor that when 12 v is applied it connects a wire to ground..

Idea for this reason.
Some people like the idea of hearing their horn honk when they hit unlock on their car. So since the keyless module from a firebird/camaro that i sell in the mall can me modded to allow the horn to beep at the same time that you hit unlock it honks the horn

the black wire on the horn relay next to the "blue dingy thingy"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea of using a relay generally is, to use it when the device you want to turn on requires more current than powering it directly can handle. This is why signal wires to a relay are so small, and the switch side uses bigger wires. Best example of this on a car is the blower motor.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, I just noticed it actually grounds the wire at the horn, so you would need a relay to convert the power signal to a ground. You'll need a 20A 4 pole relay that is normally open. Try this:

The wiring can all be accessed in the passenger footwell area. Horn relay at the continence center, and the power lock relays are in the same area.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 07-08-2014).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so would just having one of the unlock signal wires (tan) going from there over to the dark green wire would put 12v to the horns causing them to go off correct? or would i annoy everyone and hook it up to the white convenience wire and have the horn just go off till you open your door kinda funny but could get annoying fast.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you supply power directly to the dark green wire, bypassing the horn relay, it would sound the horn. If it were me, I'd use the tan 12V door lock actuator wire to trigger the relay in the diagram above, completing the circuit and still using the car's original horn relay.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock