Delco strut for coilover by lordbg0205
Started on: 07-07-2014 10:27 PM
Replies: 12 (534 views)
Last post by: Carcenomy on 07-20-2014 07:57 AM
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So has anyone ever used delco struts for coilovers on an 87 GT?
I plan on purchasing the held(aurraut) motorsports kit 12"spring, 5" sleeve, 275 lbs springs.
Its a standard 2.8, no swap yet.
I question the integrity of these struts, cause i dont hear much on them within the forum.
I also cant find any dimensions of the strut, mainly the diameter of the strut itself to make sure the coilover sleeve will fit. I believe the sleeves are a hair over 2" (2.04"?)
Anybody have input or opinions to share, im stuck. Thankyou.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Morning bump
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why Delco? Why don't you stay with Monroe Sensa-Trac. They have built in valves that adjust to the road conditions

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 07-08-2014).]

lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a personal preference, ogre has a good reference that monroes dont like being lowered. In my opinion gabriel, monroe, kyb are all about the same. Kyb only makes gr2, no more gas adjust. Monroe only has sensatrac, gabriel are ultras. No big differences. Just thought mayne would have some experience with delcos, like longevity, ride, anything fishy about em? Koni is really the only real difference in rear struts for an 87, but sadly they arent in the budget.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

...ogre has a good reference that monroes dont like being lowered.

I respect what The Ogre posts here, and I don't know exactly what he has or hasn't said about Monroe Sensa-Trac struts, but to suggest that these struts "don't like being lowered" is... wrong.

I autocrossed my '84 for four years on cut springs and Sensa-Trac shocks and struts. Worked fantastic. I now have Sensa-Trac struts on the back of my Formula with lowering springs, also now being autocrossed. Feels really good.

If Delco struts are anything like the OEM struts, then they don't have any resistance on compression, only on the rebound. I prefer having resistance with shocks and struts going both ways.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too lowered my car with Monroe SensaTracs and had no problems. The ride is good and I don't see any problem with them wearing out
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate real life testimony, that means alot. I cant find a lot of technical data on delcos, so thats why im asking so much, there really isnt much in search ane i dont hear much about them. I dont know about rebound and compression resistance on the new ones, i would assume they would, just like all modern struts out there. I just havea bad taste in my mouth reguarding kyb, we use them at the shop all the time for various cars and ive never been impressed with them, especially when they sometimes fail prematurely. There is no warranty option on struts wih cut off perches im sure of that.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I respect what The Ogre posts here, and I don't know exactly what he has or hasn't said about Monroe Sensa-Trac struts, but to suggest that these struts "don't like being lowered" is... wrong.

If Delco struts are anything like the OEM struts, then they don't have any resistance on compression, only on the rebound. I prefer having resistance with shocks and struts going both ways.

Monroe with PSD (All Fiero premium products) use grooves in center of piston tube.
Monroe's own words:

Disadvantages:
If vehicle ride height is not within manufacturer's specified range, piston travel may be limited to the control zone
www.monroe.com/en-US/suppor...ing/Shock-Absorbers/

Lowering the car can mess shock/struts "adjustment." Is more complicated then that for "Training" page. End result lowed cars have no clue where the slots/grooves are. Low cars could be fully in Control zone, fully in Comfort Zone or at the "border" where two zones meet.

Gabriel and most others doesn't care about ride height as long as the units doesn't hit end of travel. Hitting that while driving can/will kill the piston etc.

ACDelco and Delphi makes most products under contract from lowest bidder.
Current ACDelco only offers "Premium Gas Charged" units.
You need to find who won the contract. Is Monroe then you can have same issue.

edit to fix link

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-09-2014).]

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

I too lowered my car with Monroe SensaTracs and had no problems. The ride is good and I don't see any problem with them wearing out

What The Ogre states is undoubtably true as are all of his posts, however, I am running Sensatracs on my lowered car with coil overs and it is a huge improvement over whatever brand it was that I replaced. The logic that the strut might not perform properly if the piston is not positioned in the stock bore area makes sense, but they do seem to work with the position that results from my lowered suspension.
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How far are you lowered on monroes, im going down 2"
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

How far are you lowered on monroes, im going down 2"

Good question. The car had the coil overs when I bought it. I just replaced the old worn struts. I could measure the distance from the rear wheel opening to the ground but I'm out of town right now. I did try it with the rear height about stock and then lowered it quite a bit and the ride didn't changed. It's not slammed. The height is about what a Fiero looks like with lowering springs.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Monroe with PSD (All Fiero premium products) use grooves in center of piston tube.
Monroe's own words:
"If vehicle ride height is not within manufacturer's specified range, piston travel may be limited to the control zone"
www.monroe.com/en-US/suppor...ing/Shock-Absorbers/
Lowering the car can mess shock/struts "adjustment." Is more complicated then that for "Training" page. End result lowed cars have no clue where the slots/grooves are. Low cars could be fully in Control zone, fully in Comfort Zone or at the "border" where two zones meet.

Ogre, this is all good info... but let's look at it a bit more in depth.

Here's an image of a Sensa-Trac shock showing the "zones".

And this is what's stated in the Monroe blurb which accompanies the image. The bolding of certain passages is mine.

Originally posted by Monroe:

The second zone, the control zone, is utilized during demanding driving situations. In this zone the piston travels out of the mid range area of the pressure tube and beyond the grooves. The entire fluid flow is directed through the piston valving for more control of the vehicle's suspension. The result is improved vehicle handling and better control without sacrificing ride comfort.

So if a car is lowered, it's conceivable that the Sensa-Trac shock/strut might be in the "control zone" full time. Reading what's stated above, would that be that such a bad thing? The ride might be stiffer. Isn't that what most (all?) of us are after when we alter our suspensions?

We had discussed this in a previous thread of mine - Does flipping over the strut top mounting plate change the Fiero's rear height? In response to what you had stated there I replied...

If the suspension is lowered with cut and/or shorter springs, the strut might have a stiffer feel to it due to where the now more compressed strut sits at rest.

There seemed to be some agreement that flipping over the strut mounting plate may return the strut to the "comfort zone", and I went on to state...

In conclusion, it would appear then that struts with variable rate damping can retain their smooth riding "sweet spot" on a lowered car if the strut top mounting plate is flipped over and the strut is extended a bit. I imagine the same should occur with front shocks if a spacer is used between the bottom shock mount and the lower control arm. (That would also help prevent the front shocks from bottoming out as discussed HERE.)

All I can say is that any apprehension over using Sensa-Trac struts/shocks with lowering springs or cut stock springs is probably unfounded. In my opinion, the possibility that Sensa-Trac struts/shocks might end up in the "control zone" full time is a positive potential outcome... especially for hard driving, autocross, etc.

This is a good, thought provoking discussion.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-10-2014).]

Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd understand that as the shock already being partially through its travel all of the time, so it's always in the firmer 'control zone', and with less travel.

Bollocks just get Konis and be done with it

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock