Strut top hat by bryantbackus
Started on: 07-07-2014 02:20 PM
Replies: 7 (159 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-07-2014 04:00 PM
bryantbackus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryantbackusClick Here to visit bryantbackus's HomePageClick Here to Email bryantbackusSend a Private Message to bryantbackusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I am in the process of rebuilding my suspension and I ordered new upper strut mounts from the fiero store. I am looking for a replacement for my strut hats but cannot seem to find any. I found this on the Monroe shocks website . It looks like it would replace the top hat, but when I was looking in the catalog it says that the picture is representative and may not be the part. So I looked in the gallery so I could see what the part looked like and it showed me a picture of the same mounting plate I bought from the fiero store. Where can I find a replacement for my rusted strut top hat?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryantbackus:

Where can I find a replacement for my rusted strut top hat?

Wrecking yards, the Mall... plenty of places if you can't find new ones.
bryantbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryantbackusClick Here to visit bryantbackus's HomePageClick Here to Email bryantbackusSend a Private Message to bryantbackusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was kind of hoping to find it new rather than used....
The car is an 87 gt model.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryantbackus:

I was kind of hoping to find it new rather than used....
The car is an 87 gt model.

look for parts from out west. Sandblast (or soak in a rust remover) and powercoat/paint.

I had to do something similar to an old locking ring on a fuel sending unit. Turned out really nice.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two main parts at the top of the strut:
1: Spring Perch - these have the mounting studs and you can only get from the junk yard
2: Strut hat w/ bushing. These are available new (Moog K5322) and have the bolt pattern for 84-87 and 88 Fieros.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k5322

------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

bryantbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryantbackusClick Here to visit bryantbackus's HomePageClick Here to Email bryantbackusSend a Private Message to bryantbackusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the perch I was looking for. Guess I'll have to go salvage some. Thank you for the replies.
bryantbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryantbackusClick Here to visit bryantbackus's HomePageClick Here to Email bryantbackusSend a Private Message to bryantbackusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bryantbackus

52 posts
Member since Sep 2012
I have them soaking in evapo rust right now. I just wasn't sure if I can get them new. I'll just powdercoat them and re use.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As long as they're not rusted out to the point of being structurally unsound, just clean them up and paint 'em so they don't rust any further.

It's not as if anyone can see them once they're installed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock