Recommended General Maintenance by buhockey56789
Started on: 07-06-2014 06:52 AM
Replies: 4 (177 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 07-06-2014 04:49 PM
buhockey56789

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageClick Here to Email buhockey56789Send a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in New England and keep my Fiero in the garage from September to March. So I don't drive it much during the cold months and probably only put (maybe) 800 - 1000 miles a year on it. I was reviewing the Chilton's Maintenance Schedule for the 88 Fiero and this is what they recommend:

Chassis Lube/Oil Change/Oil Filter Change 7500mi/12mo
Air Filter and PCV Replacement 22500mi/24mo
Flush/Refill Coolant, Repack Front Bearings, Inspect EGR System 30000mi/36mo

Inspect PCV valve 22500mi/no time frequency
Replace Spark Plugs 30000mi/no time frequency
Check Engine Timing 30000mi/no time frequency
Inspect Spark Plug Wires 30000mi/no time frequency
Fuel Cap and Lines Inspection 30000mi/no time frequency
Inspect Thermostatically Controled Air Cleaner 30000mi/no time frequency

I get the first grouping I do these on 1,2 and 3 year intervals

But the second group... should these be grouped in with the 2 and 3 year interval maintenance (22500 = 2 yr, 30000 = 3yr)?

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
2.8L V6
manual 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That second group should not be effected by time.
In your case that could be a few years and things like spark plugs and wires should be OK.
I'm in N.E. too, Have an 86 GT 2.8 4spd and drive about the same mileage.
Have the car for 12 years and no issues. been over 6 with the same plugs, wires, PVC, etc.
Change the oil every year though.

Bob
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Click Here to Email 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Modern plugs should last pretty much forever, especially at the rate you're driving them. The electrode doesn't erode much with platinum and iridium.

Tires don't last even if the tread is fine. After four years they're not considered safe. New tires have date codes. Tirerack registers your tires when you buy them (so they can tell you to buy new ones after four years, or else).

I think everyone should lube things like door hinges, headlight doors, locks, decklid hinges, etc. at least every few months. Save yourself some grief.

I would replace vacuum hoses every five or ten years regardless. Hose is cheap, but degrades with time and is used in engine control. An old engine can run a lot better with new vacuum hoses.

It might be worth taking the calipers off and greasing the sliders every spring.

Yesterday at a show I talked to a guy with an 87 Firebird he bought new. He had to replace the tires, one of the headlight bulbs even though it only has twelve thousand daytime miles, and he gave up recharging the A/C. 12K
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I change oil and filter once a year in the spring. Most cars now have few if any grease fittings. I do agree about oiling things like hinges, locks, other moving parts regularly. I check one spark plug at 100K to see what its like. Most Ive had never had the original plugs replaced ever. I change plug wires if I can see them flashing in the dark. I change hoses when they look or feel bad. I dont believe the tire age thing myself. As long as they run smooth and have no weather cracking, and good tread I run them. Ive had 30 year old tires on cars that were fine. The ones on my GT40 were from 1980. They held air all winter and ran smooth on the freeway. Last blown tire Ive had must have been 35 years ago. The Sebrings tires had 105K and were 10 years old and still ran fine, no cracking and prob 60% of the tread left. Ive never had to buy a second set of tires on a single car I owned after I replaced originals. I had 2 Lincoln stretch limos with 250K and only one replacement set at 100K. Same with 2 MB 450SLs. The tire age thing to me is the same BS as changing oil every 3000 miles...just a ploy to get you to buy stuff you dont need. My basic rule is if it aint broke (or acting up) dont mess with it. Saves you a lot of grief and money. I cant count the number of times I hear people saying my car was fine UNTIL I changed something/ fixed it.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieClick Here to Email Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I change oil and filter once a year in the spring. Most cars now have few if any grease fittings. I do agree about oiling things like hinges, locks, other moving parts regularly. I check one spark plug at 100K to see what its like. Most Ive had never had the original plugs replaced ever. I change plug wires if I can see them flashing in the dark. I change hoses when they look or feel bad. I dont believe the tire age thing myself. As long as they run smooth and have no weather cracking, and good tread I run them. Ive had 30 year old tires on cars that were fine. The ones on my GT40 were from 1980. They held air all winter and ran smooth on the freeway. Last blown tire Ive had must have been 35 years ago. The Sebrings tires had 105K and were 10 years old and still ran fine, no cracking and prob 60% of the tread left. Ive never had to buy a second set of tires on a single car I owned after I replaced originals. I had 2 Lincoln stretch limos with 250K and only one replacement set at 100K. Same with 2 MB 450SLs. The tire age thing to me is the same BS as changing oil every 3000 miles...just a ploy to get you to buy stuff you dont need. My basic rule is if it aint broke (or acting up) dont mess with it. Saves you a lot of grief and money. I cant count the number of times I hear people saying my car was fine UNTIL I changed something/ fixed it.

^^^This. Right on the money.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock