Need help with sunroof issues by FieroGTChile87
Started on: 07-06-2014 01:20 AM
Replies: 48 (1938 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-28-2015 10:53 AM
FieroGTChile87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I have posted a number of times over the years regarding issues that I've had with my sunroof not sealing properly, and this continues to be a riddle that I cannot solve. My search has been exhausting, and seemingly futile.

The main dilemma is that the rear of the sunroof, by the latch, arches upward and there is a gap, sizable enough to slide a sheet of paper through.

I have replaced the seal many years ago, and the problem surfaced immediately afterward. I have also since replaced the nuts and washers.

However, I have recently noticed that the pins on the latch are angled, therefore the glass isn't being pulled tightly, but it seems to me that the glass isn't sliding forward far enough. It appears as though the rear of the sunroof glass is lined up with the outer edge of the gasket.

Is it supposed to sit in there evenly? I took the gasket out and installed the sunroof, and even then it appeared to not sit in there evenly. I was wondering if the problem occurred after I replaced the seal because of the glass not sitting properly, therefore administering added stress to the pins, and ultimately causing them to angle/bend?

I was wondering if somebody could provide me with some pictures of how the sunroof is supposed to sit in the gasket? Multiple angles would help. Also, is the glass supposed to arch upward toward the middle of the rear/latch area?

Thanks.

Here are some images that I posted in a previous post:

[This message has been edited by FieroGTChile87 (edited 07-06-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you shimmed the part of the latch that attaches to the underside of the roof? Not to the underside of the glass panel, but to the roof? The more shims you use, the more the glass panel is pulled down when the latch is closed.

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

#11 in this diagram would sit on the shim(s).

Here's a good picture of the latch assembley. Use part #11 as a template and make one or two shims from some sheet metal. I did this with my first Fiero, an '87 coupe. Worked well.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-06-2014).]

NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also when you replaced the 'nuts', did you get the recall ones? I had a minor leak in mine and that fixed me up. I also took the front pins off, sanded them down and repainted them. The old coating was peeling and rusty and that was keeping the glass from pushing all the way forward when I put the glass on.
FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got all of the parts from the fiero store, including the front tabs.

I suppose I'll try shimming the latch, but it seems to me like the glass isn't sitting in there properly so I think I'll still have problems.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to me like the glass is straight, so shimming it just might do the trick. If you lower the latch, the glass will be that much lower at the back when you close it. Another trick I've seen is to run a boot lace through the gasket which makes it compress a little less and makes it more rigid.
FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My concern is that there is plenty of room in the front portion of the sunroof, where it sits on the seal, but at the back, it seems to sit on the outer edge of the seal. I was able to apply pressure to remove the gap, but it doesn't sit completely in the seal.

Maybe it's not even supposed to? I don't know. I always thought that it was supposed to sit evenly within the seal, but I really don't have anything to compare it to.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTChile87:

I always thought that it was supposed to sit evenly within the seal...

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to describe.

The glass panel is a bit smaller than the outside diameter of the rubber seal. When the panel is down and in place, it is centered (more or less) on the rubber seal. There is a narrow area of rubber seal all around the outside edge of the glass panel.

When the glass panel is pulled down and locked in place by the latch, the rubber is compressed more in some areas than in others. That's the whole reason for using a soft rubber seal. If the sides (left and right) are pulled down more than the middle of the front and back edges, that's fine, as long as there is some contact with the rubber seal everywhere.

Does that make it any clearer?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-07-2014).]

FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's essentially what I was unsuccessfully attempting to describe, it doesn't sit center in the seal, it sits more towards the back to where it doesn't quite sit "in" it, but more on the edge towards the latch in the back. When I pulled down on the latch, I eliminated the gap, but the rear of the glass wasn't sitting in the seal, but rather on the outer lip, or edge, whereas the front was sitting in the seal.

[This message has been edited by FieroGTChile87 (edited 07-07-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So what's stopping the glass panel from being pushed more towards the front of the car, so as to better center it?
FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know really. I always thought it was the new seal that I purchased over a decade ago, because that was when the problem started. That was with the original tabs. I had tried bending them a number of different ways with no success. Finally, a few years ago I replaced them and it didn't make any difference. Last night I decided to pull the sunroof seal out and put the glass in, and it still sat towards the rear, so that eliminates my theory, and now I'm out of ideas.

I at least know why I can't get it to pull down tightly, I just don't know why I can't get it to sit in there evenly. There doesn't seem to be anything obstructing the slots for the tabs.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You know this doesn't make any sense. Obviously something is preventing the glass panel from sliding forward. It either has to be the leading edge of the glass panel hitting part of the roof, or one (or both) front tabs hitting something in the holes they stick into.

This isn't rocket science. Find out what's hitting where.
PFF
System Bot
FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know, I can't find anything. I once put my sunroof into a friend's '85 GT and it went in fine, and I put his in my '87 GT and had the same problem as with mine. There obviously must be an obstruction, I just can't find anything anywhere, even with the seal out. Maybe I'll remove the slots so I can get a better look at them.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know, I can't find anything. I once put my sunroof into a friend's '85 GT and it went in fine, and I put his in my '87 GT and had the same problem as with mine. There obviously must be an obstruction, I just can't find anything anywhere, even with the seal out. Maybe I'll remove the slots so I can get a better look at them.

Find a dental pick type tool, something that looks like that anyway and that size, to me it sounds like something inside the front slots is keeping it from going far enough forward to sit right. That's the only thing I can think of that would prevent it from going in right or I should say as far forward as it should to fit right. try rooting around in the holes the front tabs slip into and see if some crap gets loosened up and comes out. if so there may be some crap in there creating your problem.

Something else you might try is taking the front tabs off the glass and slip them in the slots and see if they are stopping before they should. If your friends car is still available try your tabs in his slots on his car and see if they go the same distance in his as they do yours. I don't remember if those are open slots with no stopping point or they are just a small channel with a stopping point in them. if you understand what I am saying.

Good luck

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-07-2014).]

peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had problem with my 1986 SE and replaced the rubber seal w/o success. I used the additional shim method as described above and it stopped leaking.
I have looked at several others cars and the sunroof glass sits level with roof line. My sticks up slightly.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose I'll try shimming the latch...

Careful not to shim the latch TOO much. I have had this EXACT problem on my 87 GT since I bought it and have not found a resolution yet. I tried extra shims at the latch and ended up pulling the studs through the sheet metal with all that extra force...plus it still didn't pull the glass down even with the roof. I was a PITA to fix that problem

I have determined (as it sounds you have also) that it is something to do with the car, not the glass. I have 3 different sunroofs in varying degrees of condition and they all sit the same in my 87 but when put into my 86 parts car, they would fit perfectly.

I would try what Steve is saying and see if there is anything in the slots not allowing the tabs to go all the way in. I'm actually going to go try this too as I haven't tried it yet
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

I tried extra shims at the latch and ended up pulling the studs through the sheet metal with all that extra force...

Well geez man, use some discretion! Yeah, you don't want to try putting too thick of a shim on there.
FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The slots checked out okay, so that isn't the issue.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by peterh:

I used the additional shim method as described above and it stopped leaking.

Keep in mind that a Fiero can be driven in the rain... with the sunroof popped open... and it will not leak water into the cabin... if the four drain holes are clear of debris.

So using shims to pull the glass panel down further shouldn't be required to prevent rain from leaking in.

FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't leak badly at all, very minimal. My drain holes are cleared, and I only get the occasional drip into the cabin from water resting on the seal, when I hit a pothole I get a couple of drips. I've been dealing with this for over 10 years, and while it's not much of a problem, I think that if I could at least remove the gap with using a shim, that would minimize any water that is coming in. Some drops also find their way in during a really heavy downpour, solely because of that gap, which is the only area that ever allows water to enter.

[This message has been edited by FieroGTChile87 (edited 07-08-2014).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the exact same problem. Also an 87GT (not that it matters). Over the years I've tried everything suggested here...Have never been able to rectify it. I even searched the country for a NOS replacement latch. Installed it. No difference. Still have a slight gap between the seal and glass at the rear. Just like you, Swapped glass with a friends car. Mine fits his, his does not fit mine. I give up.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe if you guys quit rolling your Fieros and messing up the roof, perhaps your glass panels would fit properly.
PFF
System Bot
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm, another 87...

FWIW, mine only leaks water in a DIY carwash when I aim the water directly at the rear of the glass from the rear of the car. I usually wash my car at home so this isn't too big of a deal. My gripe is that it leaks air at highway speeds and is just downright annoying, that and it doesn't look good. 99 times out of a 100 I'm driving with the sunroof out or at least opened so honestly it's not tooooooooooooo big of a deal, just annoying that I can't get it fixed.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 07-08-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your glass is not going in far enough in the front so that the glass is centered front to rear, either something is blocking the slot deeper, or its got the wrong tabs on the glass. There is no other reason the glass wont got farther forward. If your SURE the slots are clear both height and width, grind off a bit of the tabs at the front, being carefull not to get them too hot and shatter the glass. Id use a pair of vise grips on the tab with paint paddle sticks at both jaws to insulate it while you grind it. Grind it with the grinder going across the end of the tab, NOT up or down and putting pressure on the glass.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If your glass is not going in far enough in the front so that the glass is centered front to rear, either something is blocking the slot deeper, or its got the wrong tabs on the glass. There is no other reason the glass wont got farther forward. If your SURE the slots are clear both height and width, grind off a bit of the tabs at the front, being carefull not to get them too hot and shatter the glass. Id use a pair of vise grips on the tab with paint paddle sticks at both jaws to insulate it while you grind it. Grind it with the grinder going across the end of the tab, NOT up or down and putting pressure on the glass.

I was going to mention grinding the tabs, but that scares me well at least telling someone to do it while they are still attached to the glass. if you have another person sun roof panel check the tab lengths to make sure they are actually to long. it is possible that some damage was dome to the roof and fixed long before you ever got it as well.

Steve
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna take a peek at my car tomorrow morning but I'm pretty sure the glass is sliding far enough forward. My air leaks are at the rear of the glass and never in the front. I wouldn't imagine the tabs are the problem as they work perfectly fine in another car. I've always thought that the contour of the glass does not match the contour of the car. My car has a clean Carfax but that of course could mean nothing. I do find it curious that a few others have the exact same problem.

Maybe I'll take some pictures of my sunroof in the morning if I remember.

I would absolutely love to find a resolution to this problem or at least the cause. I've stumbled upon other threads (and IIRC started one) on this issue but it seems nobody has ever found a solution.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My air leaks are at the rear of the glass and never in the front. I've always thought that the contour of the glass does not match the contour of the car.

I would absolutely love to find a resolution to this problem or at least the cause.

I suspect it's as "simple" as the metal roof support is not arched enough in the middle.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-09-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Keep in mind that a Fiero can be driven in the rain... with the sunroof popped open... and it will not leak water into the cabin... if the four drain holes are clear of debris.

I love proving that to my friends,They always drop there jaws and stare .........
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there done this:
The sunroof is not pushed far enough forward to seat properly.
1. You must unhook the latch at the rear to lift glass higher than the latch will allow. The glass will not move forward without lifting the window.
2. With glass lifted at rear about 25-30 deg. Angle hit back edge of glass with palm of your hand. Both sides.
3. When the glass is fully forward when you let it down it should sit flat in the seal.

Looking at the pictures you posted your glass on the drivers side is not fully forward. I does not take much for it to not sit flat

I have this problem when I remove the sunroof and then reinstall it. I don’t remove it often and when I do I always forget this procedure for putting it back in. But the wife reminds me as the water always seem to run in on her side when it starts to rain. A screaming woman with cold water running in on her is not good but I guess my laughing did not help. Well it was funny.

[This message has been edited by 1Packrat (edited 07-09-2014).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried your fix Packrat with no results, the glass is as far forward as it's going to go.

I took some pictures this morning, don't mind how dirty the car is, it sat outside a couple nights at the alignment shop.

This is the front edge of the glass:

This is the back of the glass, it does look to be a bit farther back than it should be but its more of an optical illusion. It could maybe come forward a bit but I'm talking 1/64 of an inch at the most. Look towards the top of the pic to get a better idea of the alignment:

Here is a shot of how far it sticks up when latched. On my 86, it would sit lower than this (flush) when not latched, same glass:

I'm sticking with my original thought that the contour of the roof isn't right, whether it be from damage or an error during manufacturing.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 07-09-2014).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me, having tried everything that seems to have been tried already I'd start looking at individual parts. I'd pull the front tabs and try them in the slots to see if they go all the way in. If they don't, then you need to figure out why, it could be the shape of the tab, or an obstruction in the slot. If they do go all the way in, it's possible the the latch is actually pulling the glass towards the back. See where the glass sits in the gasket with the glass not engaged with the latch, and see if the glass will press down correctly without the latch engaged.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that after my bad experience with shimming the latch I took all shims out so my glass is sitting higher than it did when I bought it. I still have no worries leaving it out during a downpour though.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tried your fix Packrat with no results, the glass is as far forward as it's going to go.

I took some pictures this morning, don't mind how dirty the car is, it sat outside a couple nights at the alignment shop.

This is the front edge of the glass:

From this picture, to me its obvious that the glass is farther forward on the passenger side than the drivers side. The seal should be even clear across and UNDER the glass. The picture shows it clearly pushing the seal toward the front and bunching it up, not resting on top of it. Thats the reason it wont go any farther forward...the seal is preventing it. So like suggested and open the glass unlatched so that the glass is forward even at the front and ON TOP of the seal. THEN attach the latch and fasten it down. Then lets see a picture of the front and rear. If its still up in the rear, try the shim again. I dont see anything wrong with the roof panel...where the sunroof sets is all once piece from the windshield to the roof seam at where the rear roof panel is attached.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect it's as "simple" as the metal roof support is not arched enough in the middle.

I can't see how that would happen unless some drove an H1 over the dam roof, or maybe was jumping up and down on it trying to damage it. But I suppose its possible.

Steve
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger: That picture is showing the front driver's corner of the glass and you can't see much of the passenger side, the seal that is showing is even all the way around. Next 4 pictures are starting at left rear of the glass and working around it clockwise if you were facing the side of the car at the driver's door.

You can see that the seal is even all the way around the glass, if I were able to move the glass forward more, there would be a noticeable gap at the rear of the glass. I'm assuming that the seal is factory as it is showing a bit of age but it's still in relatively good condition. I tried again to push the glass forward with it tilted up again with no results, as I tilt the glass up it starts to pull out of the slots as I imagine it's supposed to. The front tabs are in good condition and fit snuggly when fully inserted.

When messing with this, I did notice that the latch pulls the glass back ever so slightly when latched. If I recall correctly, I can adjust this by moving the latch but that still would not fix my main problem. This last picture shows how far the glass will come down when I put some weight on it.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Thinking out of the box here and it may sound stupid. Can you take dimensions of the glass, and compare to a known good one? Perhaps some sunroof glass got out that are different and not to spec from the factory? This is such a known issue on these cars.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Perhaps some sunroof glass got out that are different and not to spec from the factory?

The glass panel isn't the problem.

I have determined that it is something to do with the car, not the glass. I have 3 different sunroofs in varying degrees of condition and they all sit the same in my 87 but when put into my 86 parts car, they would fit perfectly.

Originally posted by donuteater306:

...have a slight gap between the seal and glass at the rear. Swapped glass with a friends car. Mine fits his, his does not fit mine.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-09-2014).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your photos show EXACTLY what my sunroof looks like. Clearly we are doing something wrong.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sticking with my original thought that the contour of the roof isn't right, whether it be from damage or an error during manufacturing.

Damage is possible but I really don't think its from an error during manufacture if it were the car would have never left the factory it would have gotten caught at water test. I worked for GM in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and was utility repair so I was everywhere including water test. every car ever made went threw water test, every car including our Fieros and some poor shmuck like me, and yes I did the job at times rode water test. a human would ride threw a tunnel of water shooting at the car from every possible angle and at speeds of over 100 MPH if the roof leaked it was repaired right then and went threw water test again.

Glass being wrong, out of shape or something like that is possible as well but also doubtful because of all the testing of the glass before it ever left the glass manufacturer. The worst glass we ever got for shape problems was not sun roofs, it was the T-tops and believe it or not the rear window of the mid 80s Chevy celebrity and Olds Ciera when they changed it to a glass that had almost 90 degree bends in the glass. the manufacturer had a 75 % rejection rate at their plant.

Anyway unless the glass was a replacement glass the PO had put in or the roof line was damaged during its lifetime I don't think the glass is your problem especially if it fit better in another car, I still say it has to be the front tabs or the front tab channels being plugged up. Have to checked to see if there is anything in there preventing the glass from going in all the way? Does it fit the same in your roof as it does in someone else's roof?

Steve
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I went and checked out the slots where the front tabs go in and they were clear of any debris. I'm sure that the glass is positioned correctly front to back, it just isn't sitting all the way down. I looked more closely at the seal thinking that maybe it's aftermarket and too thick but I can't see it being any thinner and still do its job.

Does anybody have some pictures of a factory sunroof that sits correctly comparable to the ones I posted? Just to compare. I got rid of my parts car last fall so don't have anything to compare it to anymore.

As stated before, I would love to figure this out but it's looking like it may just remain a mystery
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you try pressing it down without the latch being engaged to see if it sits correctly that way, or if it can be positioned correctly?

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 07-10-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock