Automatic to manual conversion by rj0002
Started on: 07-04-2014 06:19 PM
Replies: 4 (1707 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-06-2014 10:24 AM
rj0002

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rj0002Send a Private Message to rj0002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How difficult is it to convert a automatic to a manual car. I've seen past post in which others have stated to look for a Manual Fiero and remove the parts that are needed for an conversion. I would prefer to purchase new parts than to use 30 year old parts. Any suggestion whom to contact, and price on parts and labor? One more thing the vehicle I have is a Fiero 1988 Automatic possible swapping engines with a LS4 engine or a manual LS1 engine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have asked about 4 giant-sized questions in one post! There are recent threads about swapping transmissions that you should look up. Picking a V8 engine is a complex decision, and lastly, I think we all would like new parts, but we have to face reality and use what we can find!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131831.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-05-2014).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rj0002:

How difficult is it to convert a automatic to a manual car.
Any suggestion whom to contact, and price on parts and labor?

'difficult' is a relative term. A seasoned profession will tell you it's easy, someone whom has done it once will tell it it's incredibly difficult. Without knowing your specific skillset, can't say if it will be 'difficult' for you or not.

As for the 2nd part (that I referenced above), because you mentioned 'labor', any shop will charge an amount for a swap by the hour. The amount of time that it takes is going to cause a bill very large, in the thousands. Most shops will say that it isn't worth the cost because of the value of the car. If you are not going to, or are unable to do the swap yourself, financially it might make more sense to just buy a manual car.

There is a new shop in Texas that offers a slew of Fiero refurbishing, perhaps ask them for a quote on this service. I'll dig up the link as a quick search didn't turn it up.

** Edit Link provided above **

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 07-05-2014).]

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also look up GT Service Center in Melbourne. I have heard that he does swaps too.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rj0002:

I would prefer to purchase new parts than to use 30 year old parts.

Been there - done that on my Indy
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-3.html

Parts you CAN buy new...
flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, clutch master/slave, clutch hydraulic line, shift/select cables

Rebuilt parts...
axles
transmission (maybe)

Parts you can't get new - only used...
pedal box, shifter mechanism, shifter surround

But labor is another matter... There is a tedious amount of work involved, but it is mostly the "remove and replace" variety and THAT will cost.

From other threads on auto to manual swap...

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

Spoke with the Fiero Factory, they have almost all you need for swap for $1500. I am going to assume this could be done junkyard shopping for half?
For reference the charge about $2500 for a turn key swap, "almost" worth it for the convenience alone but crazy stupid money to put into a daily driver, or Fiero for that matter.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

In my '87 SE, the auto to manual swap cost around $2k and took about a week. But I was working on it in my spare time, a few hours here and a few hours there. And I bought a lot of new parts (aluminum flywheel, Spec clutch, stainless steel clutch hydraulic line, new axles, rebuilt transmission, Rodney Dickman shifter cables, etc).

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave