Started on: 07-04-2014 03:41 PM
Replies: 8 (263 views)
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 07-05-2014 11:04 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LZeitgeist is on a road trip this weekend and texted me with some car problems he's having. His phone signal is weak and no access to a computer, so he asked me to post some questions. He's not stranded, but the car's not running right.

88 Formula, stock 2.8 V6 5-speed. New engine a little over a year ago with about 24k miles on it, so it's well broken in and it shouldn't be a worn engine problem. *fingers crossed* Fuel pump was replaced about 8 months ago.

When turning right and/or going over really bumpy gravel roads, the car stumbles/wants to quit momentarily. He checked for loose connections at the Ignition Module. Connections to the IM looked good. He said it did it a couple of times in town in a tight right hand turn. The worst of it was coming up a hill on a really rough gravel road, going straight. Every other time was during a tight right turn, but never during a left turn.

I suggested he check any and all electrical connections he could - possible loose connection to the fuel injectors, C500, etc.

If anyone is in the Sparta NC area and might be able to help out if the problem gets worse, let us know.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-04-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for rust around the battery tray. Are those electrical boxes to the right solid or do they feel like they're floating?

Also check the ground strap. If you can't find it add another.

Good luck!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good info in this thread... Stalls on right hand turns
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch the tach when the trouble occurs. If the tach wack the problem is ignition. If the tach operates normally then the problem at least isn't in the primary ignition components.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Good info in this thread... Stalls on right hand turns

I heard back, and he thinks this thread helped him find the issue. A wiring harness was routed incorrectly when he recently replaced the battery. So far I've heard no further problems reported.

Pluses all around for everyone's help. Thank you.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad to have been able to help. That's what this forum is all about.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings, gang -

Thanks, F88 for posting this - finally got somewhere with a halfway decent connection.

I'd taken the battery out of the Formula to test-start the Coupe and when I reinstalled the battery in the Formula, it dislodged a section of wiring harness, allowing it to swing to the left and rub against the edge of the pulley, causing an intermittent short. It was apparently/fortunately on the wrong side of the circuit for the fuse to blow (or it was a slow-blow fuse - I don't know) so things went back to normal as soon at the harness swung back away.

Will be taking it out today but don't forsee further problems - thank you very much to those who helped!

+'s to those who didn't already have them from me!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 07-05-2014).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Greetings, gang -

Thanks, F88 for posting this - finally got somewhere with a halfway decent connection.

I'd taken the battery out of the Formula to test-start the Coupe and when I reinstalled the battery in the Formula, it dislodged a section of wiring harness, allowing it to swing to the left and rub against the edge of the pulley, causing an intermittent short. It was apparently/fortunately on the wrong side of the circuit for the fuse to blow (or it was a slow-blow fuse - I don't know) so things went back to normal as soon at the harness swung back away.

Will be taking it out today but don't forsee further problems - thank you very much to those who helped!

+'s to those who didn't already have them from me!

That's the same thing that stranded my Formula in Greensboro years ago. There was a wire sticking out of the wire loom and it rubbed on the pulley until it broke. It was the +12V wire to the ECM.
Took forever to find that.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New problem - please see my new 'headlights don't illuminate' thread... *sigh*

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock