A/C broken (??) by buhockey56789
Started on: 07-02-2014 10:06 PM
Replies: 9 (187 views)
Last post by: buhockey56789 on 07-04-2014 03:06 PM
buhockey56789

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageSend a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little while ago (1 month) I noticed anti-freeze leaking from the passenger side compartment. So, I had the heater core replaced and a coolant flush done. When I turn on the A/C now it pumps out hot air... I doesn't feels like just warm air (from a hot car) but actually heated air.... for a bit I thought I smelled something that vaguely smelled like maybe dust on a heater (maybe the air ducts are dusty)

Do I just need to run the A/C or heater for a while to give the system a good work over?

I'm in the process of running the tank down to get rid of some bad gas in the tank and then bringing it back for a tune-up but I was thinking (unless the A/C fixes itself) on having them look at the A/C as well.... what kind of periodic maintenance do you need on A/C?

88 Fiero GT 2.8L V6 (basically stock everything)

Thanks,
Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it worked before they changed the heater core the shop that worked on it disconnected or damaged something.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, did the AC work before?
buhockey56789

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageSend a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it worked before I took in for a heater core replacement and coolant flush. I remember this because I stopped using it when I noticed that ac usage caused the heater core to leak more antifreeze into the passenger compartment
buhockey56789

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageSend a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buhockey56789

33 posts
Member since Jun 2007
When doing a coolant flush is it usual to check the freon levels and any as needed and/or check the ac? Or is that typically a different service?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you only asked for a coolant flush they would not usually do anything with the a/c
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cable for the blend door can be damaged when replacing the heater core. Does the slider move back and forth with the same force as previously? Can you hear the door moving when you move the slider?
buhockey56789

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageSend a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the temp (blend) slider moves back and forth the way I remember it but I'm not sure. I checked the outputs out (vent, defrost, bi-lvl) and they all seem to be doing the appropriate things

When the A/C does go out does it all of sudden go out or does it gradually just loose it's cold temperature and become more moderately cool?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It'll stop working all at once if the pressure in the system is too low.

Next thing to check would be to hook up a gauge set to the low and high side fittings, and check the static pressures with the car off, and then the pressures when the car is on. Record the ambient temperature while you're doing this.
buhockey56789

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buhockey56789Click Here to visit buhockey56789's HomePageSend a Private Message to buhockey56789Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks you've given me a bunch of things to think on .... I'll you you know how this turns out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock