Fiero Radios -- What's out there? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 07-02-2014 08:03 AM
Replies: 20 (1027 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 07-05-2014 04:04 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after fourteen years with the same radio cd/cassette player I have decided on a upgrade. What was state-of-the-art then is now an old dinosaur which is very embarrassing. Friends marvel at my cassette deck, and I remember when we were all transitioning from cd to cassette and this player was pretty cool.

Since then we went to MP3, and now it appears everything is digital. I purchased a cheap Clarion that takes USB and SD cards and it was amazing. Everything has shrunk in size. I think this is great for the Fiero since I remember the days when you would hit a bump and the CD player would skip.

What units are you guys using?

Incidently, this thing only cost $60 at crutchfield. My old player back in 1999 was $300. It's 1.5 Din. Huge and heavy. I guess I'll save it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Current top 2014 players http://car-audio-review.toptenreviews.com/
They really like the Kenwood. It has features similar to my Eclipse.

Other reviews on 2014 products (Kenwood still scores high).
http://caraudionow.com/5382...top-head-units-2014/

Times flies!! My Eclipse CD8454 (2004 Product of the Year) is ten years old, but still works great and had features that kept it from becoming "out of date".

Too many specs to mention, but plays all music formats, can use Memory Sticks, has built-in electronic parametric equalization w/ pink noise generator mic/tuning, 6-channel outputs (front/rear/sub-woofer), and is almost "self-programming". I can go from the deck (6 outputs) straight to the Mcintosh amp (6 inputs). It has both an AUX input for connecting any MP3 device and an iPod connector as well.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-02-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Kenwood, my wifes car has a Sony, anything will be an upgrade and even cheap ones have audio inputs and even bluetooth, Serius radio or Pandora capabilities. I got the Kenwood over some others because it could change face colors to a ton of choices and I matches it to the dash. My Wifes Sony has a red face tho it is more red than the Fiero dash.

There are ways to make it not stick out, alot of aftermarket installs stick out twards the shifter. Mine sticks out no big deal to me.

Crutchfield is always the best deal I can find. I recommend upgrading your speakers too if they are stock.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is so amazing about these new stereos is you can have over 1,000 songs at your finger tips. You dont have to carry or switch tapes or cds anymore. Every this is so self-contained. The units are smaller, and yet are more powerful.

Just think if the engines evolved the same way. IC engine would be amazing. Strange little else on the car has evolved as much. Most is still the same.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I remember when we were all transitioning from cd to cassette

Are you from an alternate universe?
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a newer delco/pontiac CD in, modified with an AUX port. I play all my audio from my phone, either through Google Music or Audible.

My thoughts on in-car technology is that no matter how much money you sink into it, my phone can do it already, and next year will do it better. For my stereo, I just want it to get audio from my phone with a minimum of fuss required.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 07-02-2014).]

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that newer pontiac cd is the way to go. Modified with the aux port it is infinitely upgradeable and looks factory. It is also less of a theft target. Just my opinion.
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of the newer Pontiac monsoon radios and its great and all due to its fitment and color but buying the radio used has a huge down side. To be honest this is the third Pontiac radio that I have bought that has developed volume and circuit board problems(terminal) and has blown bulbs (which is fixable). For the same amount of money you end up spending (or a lot more like me $$ ) you can get a single din aftermarket head unit to do everything that the Pontiac radio does and a lot more. You also wont have the stupid reoccurring problems like the last three of my Pontiac radios had unfortunately.

Maybe Im just unlucky

If you read these articles below youll understand better what im talking about lol

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f...soon-retarded-18562/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f...olume-problem-29385/
------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Gt (fully optioned, factory leather, 5-speed, CJB T-Tops: Black w/ gray interior and blk wheels)
1992 GMC Typhoon #0203
1971Chevorlet Corvette 454cu/ LS5/ 4-speed/ convertible
1993 BMW 850 Ci 6-speed V-12

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 07-03-2014).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-03-2014 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've been happy with the g.m. radio till now.. I'd get the 99.99 kenwood or pioneer.. with ubs in and Bluetooth. Only reason I'm looking to install a later g.m. cd player out of a g/p is my Fiero is an Indy.. I just have to find out what to do about thetheft lock.. on them.. I know you need the vin #..

the pawn shop 3 miles from me.. has a bunch of aftermarket kenwood/pioneer/blowbunk /etc cheap.. might be worth it to stop by your local ones.. just have a c/d and a speaker handy to test it out.. and alagator clips.. to use your cars battery to power it up.. just in case they play stupid and say they don't have a set of speakers and a 12v converter.. they do.. they test them before they hand over cash..

I've has very good luck with kenwood...
good luck.. crutchfield.com sells the radios with everything needed to install, the din adapter and wire pigtail adapters and it free.. newer cars that have the service crap in the radio..(uses radio to tell you lights are on with human voice/etc that part isn't free.. but doesn't apply to our cars..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u97yP4R5iqo/
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would wait until the android auto aftermarket stereos come out (if you use an android phone).
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine has aux. port. Does that allow you to wire it straight to your phone? I have not researched any of this stuff. The technology has changed so much.
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a bluetooth connected stand alone amp. Then you could just bypass the radio and stream direct from your phone. Car looks factory (no theft fears), no undersised 1 din radio (just does not look right IMHO), and it becomes an extension of your phones audio (music, voice navigation, ect).

I just got to find one as my radion lasts 10-15 minutes then goes into static as the tuner fails to hold station (voltage regulator failed in alternator fried it).

Will update when I find one.

Other thought is to buy a single din bluetooth radio and a half din something else or pop-out and up drink holder. Drink holder has been done but I dont like a sweating drink that close to my radio.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the cassette player still work? Why not use a cassette adapter and just plug it into a mp3 player, or your phone? The quality, while not perfect, is still good. I like the factory radio because of its larger interface (the single din aftermarket radios have tiny buttons) and also because nobody will steal it.

You could also get a newer Pontiac cassette player with an equalizer. I got one in the mall for $25 shipped, maybe I got lucky, but the sound quality is very good. It's not as convenient as a new radio with bluetooth but to me it was an acceptable alternative.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Mine has aux. port. Does that allow you to wire it straight to your phone? I have not researched any of this stuff. The technology has changed so much.

Yep with a headphone size jack (small), otherwise Bluetooth means wireless.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-03-2014).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I myself put in a Kenwood (USB and bluetooth that allows for 2 devices to connect to it at the same time) and used the HUMount to install it. Much better sound than the GM CD player we had installed.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a 2 DIN Pioneer AVH 3600DVD. Works great! has beautiful touch screen with the option of choosing a background picture, which I made the Fiero Pegasus Emblem, you can choose the illumination colors to match the rest of the car. Has CD, DVD, AUX, Bluetooth, USB, Pandora and Serius ready as well as optional GPS and lots of RCA outputs for external amps. I have been very satisfied with it!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Does the cassette player still work? Why not use a cassette adapter and just plug it into a mp3 player, or your phone? The quality, while not perfect, is still good.

No no no... there's a much better alternative than that.

To be able to play digital music files in the car, I use one of these FM transmitter gizmos. Allows you to plug in an SD card, USB flash drive, or an analog 1/8" stereo input.

Works great... and it's less than ten bucks. Such a deal.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-05-2014).]

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always gotton some static/ background noise with the FM transmitter audio links. One was bluetooth and one was headphone jack connected to my iPhone.

And BTW I found plenary of bluetooth amps through google. Many even offer RCA input from a stereo also.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

I have always gotton some static/ background noise with the FM transmitter audio links.

Depends on the frequency that they broadcast at. Obviously you don't want it anywhere near a frequency that local FM radio stations are using. The cheap little unit I have allows you to select whatever frequency you wish, so it's easy to find a spot on the FM dial that is unoccupied. I use 87.5 MHz here and get nice clean reception.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-05-2014).]

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have always gotton some static/ background noise with the FM transmitter audio links.

You can also try an FM Modulator! It has a connection that hooks directly into the head unit's FM antenna port, and the antenna hooks into it. So when it is on, it blocks any other radio frequency for a clear, noiseless sound! And when off, the antenna works just like normal! And it gets input from RCA inputs, so you can hook whatever king of input cables you want to it! Only downside, is you have to remember to turn it on and off, if you are switching between radio and it.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock