Seized front brake caliper by stevep914
Started on: 06-30-2014 11:29 PM
Replies: 6 (1062 views)
Last post by: stevep914 on 07-01-2014 08:13 PM
stevep914

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Left front brake caliper seized and started to stink and get hot. Removing the caliper revealed a near worn out outer brake pad. The piston was out a good way. I removed the brake pads from the caliper, and then used a big C clamp to push the piston back in square with the inside caliper face. A couple of questions: I am assuming the piston moved out enough with the worn pad to get corroded, and wont retract on its own? Also a little steel ring fell apart in my hand that covered the rubber piston bellows outer surface. Is that critical? Will moving the piston in and out; alternately pumping the brake pedal, and then moving it back in with the c clamp fix this? Lastly, would installing a new brake pad with full meat on it leave the piston in far enough to not have the problem ? I cannot see any corrosion, as far as I have moved it out. Just as a curiousity, are there any other Pontiac/ Chev cars that use the same brake pads? I cant seem to find the Fiero ones in Mexico.( Fieros were never imported here) Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May have had more to do with the caliper not sliding so it was centered on the disc, so the piston may have had nothing to do with the problem. Larry
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car sat for a while without being driven, the piston may have expanded and seized. It's a common problem with 84-87 Fieros. The piston is made out of phenolic (plastic) resin, and can absorb water from the air, and expand.

It's also possible that the brake hoses have deteriorated on the inside, and are blocking the fluid from traveling back when the brake is released.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
parts interchange (US)

Check this link out. The models are US name plates, but if they are the same, or you can figure them out for Mexico, they will work!

I couldn't find anything on brake pads, though. But there is a source for front caliper piston.

Buy new hoses. They swell internally and seize real bad, then create kind of a check-valve where they only let fluid into the caliper, but not back to the reservoir.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

May have had more to do with the caliper not sliding so it was centered on the disc, so the piston may have had nothing to do with the problem. Larry

Yup, to the caliper slide bolts move properly? Or are they stuck? If they do not slide, the caliper will do what you said.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevep914:
Left front brake caliper seized and started to stink and get hot. Removing the caliper revealed a near worn out outer brake pad.

Likely Slide bolts are stuck.
See my Cave, Brake Service

Originally posted by Raydar:
If the car sat for a while without being driven, the piston may have expanded and seized. It's a common problem with 84-87 Fieros. The piston is made out of phenolic (plastic) resin, and can absorb water from the air, and expand.

It's also possible that the brake hoses have deteriorated on the inside, and are blocking the fluid from traveling back when the brake is released.

the myth that Phenolic Piston are Junk? Is compete BS.
Wet fluid will cause problems sooner when Phenolic pistons are used. Iffy Piston Seal and Boot will let moisture into fluid then the bad wet fluid will attack the caliper body and cause piston binding. Phenolic pistons have different expansion rates etc that steel and use different clearance in the bore when hot.

Hose can be bad or bracket is rusted and pinch the hose. Many times you would have problems using C Clamp too. Open bleed screw to verify hose problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

stevep914

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thankyou people, You have given me some areas to explore. The car does get driven at least once a week . However, our salt air here, is the most caustic on the whole west coast of North America! S.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock