Decklid release by Csjag
Started on: 06-30-2014 01:45 PM
Replies: 9 (389 views)
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 07-01-2014 10:19 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The deck lid release button on my 85 2M4 hasn't worked since I bought it last year. In the opinion of the knowledgeable people on this forum what is the most likely reason for these to stop working? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Among regular things, its possible the car doesnt even have the feature. Someone could have just put that panel with the switch there becasue its what they had. I had a car with a rear defrost switch but no rear defrost.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has the feature, I see the solenoid at the latch.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
manual tranny? I believe the e-brake needs to be set to allow button to function.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes a manual but it doesn't work even with the brake on
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the wire from the selenoid, have someone press the button and see if getting power to it. If you are its possible the selenoid is frozen up with crud. Else start back tracking connections to see were power begins or ends.
2kewlgypsy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2kewlgypsySend a Private Message to 2kewlgypsyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is only supposed to be pushed one way (up, not down) when the button is pushed down, the tab inside the switch breaks - fiero store has replacements, I believe.
I would pull the four screws holding that piece of the dash in, remove the switch, and carefully pry the switch apart to see if its broken inside - or a gentle shake should tell you if the tab is broken.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I recall correctly, there is also a sensor on the trunk latch (I have an '88). My trunk release stopped working for no apparent reason last month. I fiddled with the sensor to try to clean it up and make sure it operated freely. This fixed the problem.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2kewlgypsy:

The switch is only supposed to be pushed one way (up, not down) when the button is pushed down, the tab inside the switch breaks - fiero store has replacements, I believe.
I would pull the four screws holding that piece of the dash in, remove the switch, and carefully pry the switch apart to see if its broken inside - or a gentle shake should tell you if the tab is broken.

/\/\/\ This is the most common. /\/\/\ After 25 or so years the plastic becomes brittle and breaks. Here's a link for the replacement. http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=66559

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-01-2014).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the above info, the decklid latch solenoid will not operate unless the decklid is closed or you run a jumper wire from the latch 'loop' - the latch 'loop' connected to the chassis provides the ground connection needed to operate the solenoid.

If the decklid is open, you can press the button all day long and the solenoid will not operate without an alternative ground connection of some sort.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock