Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Manual transmission 4 speed stuck in 2nd.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Manual transmission 4 speed stuck in 2nd. by Djordhan
Started on: 06-30-2014 08:08 AM
Replies: 6 (705 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 04-03-2022 09:43 PM
Djordhan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjordhanSend a Private Message to DjordhanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

I want to buy a 85 GT, the 4 speed is stuck in 2nd. The owner said he was trying to "speed-shift" from 2nd to 3rd but never got to 3rd, since then it never moved from 2nd.

He also told me that it was not possible to fix the transmission without removing the engine from the bay. I already got the price down from 1500 to 1200 but I'm afraid having the engine pulled out will cost much more, like double or more.

Can you confirm the transmission cannot be repaired in place?

Thank you very much and I'm very please of being part of this community! Ok I don't own a Fiero right now but I did, and I will..

JD
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is most likely internal to the trans due to wear.
The trans will most likely need to come out and be replaced or repaired.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-30-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
confirmed. But you can take the transmission out without removing the engine too.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the engine is supported, the transmission can be pulled out the left wheel well. Of course, the suspension on that side has to be removed, too. GM once made an engine support that mounted on top of the shock towers to facilitate pulling the transmission for clutch replacement. Some members here have fabricated their own support of various materials, including 2 x 4's. Many find it easier to drop the entire cradle assembly with motor, trans and suspension attached.

Disconnect the cables at the shifter and move the transmission levers by hand to see if you can get it out of gear. It might be that you just have a bad cable. Even if that's the case, if the previous owner has been speed shifting, he's probably abused the clutch and it may need replacement.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be something as simple as the tooth on the select lever that's jumped out of the groove on the shift shaft coming out of the transmission. Have a close look at the following pictures to get an idea what I mean:

This is the 4 speed Muncie with the levers circled in red:

One of the levers causes the shift shaft to rotate while the other one causes the shaft to pull out of or push into the transmission. The green arrow in this next photo shows how the cable pulls and pushed on this second lever, while the red arrow shows the resulting movement of the shaft, and the blue arrow points to the location of the tooth on the lever that engages a slot in the shaft.

Often times the little tooth on the lever gets worn to the point where it slips out of the groove on the shaft and no longer allows you to shift. A welder can easily build up the tooth again and grind it so it's like new.

Hopefully that's all that's needed.
wilberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2022 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that tooth supposed to be round? Is that a worn tooth or is the flat machined?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2022 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering the age of all these parts I would say it started out round, but that is just a guess as I don't have that transmission.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock