Likely leak points for air conditioner system by peterh
Started on: 06-29-2014 07:21 AM
Replies: 6 (160 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 06-29-2014 04:13 PM
peterh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I charged my 1986 V6 with the fluorescent dye and using uv light and glasses I have been trying to locate the leaking point in my air conditioning system.
I used this technique some years ago to locate the leaking O rings where the hoses connect under the air cleaner area. I have searched the compressor, under dash and engine compartment w/o finding any other dye leaking. I had charged the system a couple of weeks ago and it blew cold air, now just ambient air.
Any ideas for the usual suspects?
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found my orifice tube connectors were loose. Go around with a wrench and see if any of yours are loose.
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have limited experience with air conditioning systems, where is it located?
Thanks,
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by peterh:

I have limited experience with air conditioning systems, where is it located?
Thanks,

In the front compartment, under the accumulator, toward the driver side. Check the accumulator connections also.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine leaked out at the compressor shaft seal behind the clutch. I just kept refilling it (back in the days when R12 was cheap and plentiful) until the seal finally wore out enough for me to find the leak.
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at the places mentioned w/o any sign.
Of course the sealer/dye could have sealed it up but not with my luck.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Compressor shaft seal is the most likely place, followed by compressor hose connections. My leak ended up being the worst possible place, the under car lines. The line had corroded, and leaked where it attached to a bracket under the front compartment tub.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock