Sped daddy headers and clearance by Tweeder
Started on: 06-29-2014 01:05 AM
Replies: 24 (939 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 08-11-2014 12:21 AM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for input from those who are running sd headers and if there's any issues with them and clearance.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing you're asking about Speed Daddy headers for your 3800??
I can't get the website to even show headers for that.
http://speed-daddy.com/exhaust-system

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-29-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, look here. http://speed-daddy.com/stai...regal-impala-3-8l-v6

------------------

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on running them on my next build. However, I will be cutting off the collector Flex and welding on a Vband.

I think 88Formula3800 is running some linked below. The clearances look good but you probably need to mod trunk for a REAL muffler.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking for the muffler, I want to go with the muffler tip style. Not sure what they're called or if I can get that size or not.

------------------

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I'm thinking for the muffler, I want to go with the muffler tip style. Not sure what they're called or if I can get that size or not.

Resonator tip.

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How loud is something like that? I was thinking something more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For...em5666c6f669&vxp=mtr

------------------

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is that even possible? Stainless steal headers for $220? Are these things any good, and will you need to cut the trunk?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

How is that even possible? Stainless steal headers for $220? Are these things any good, and will you need to cut the trunk?

Yep, they are pretty good, but you have to get some new clamps and expand the crossover pipe a little.

I got mine $215 shipped. Besides, needing some new C lamps and gaskets they can't be beat for this price. The GP guys swear by them.

They will fit the Fiero without cutting the trunk, if you cut off the flex pipe, see pic on my last post.

However, you really want to run a CAT converter or resonator PLUS a real muffler on a 3800SC to kill the awful sounding rasp.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 06-30-2014).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a new ZZP Power Log and had all my mandrel bends, tips and Magnaflow 3" in and 2 2-1/2" out muffler delivered from Summit and I'm still considering buying them.......
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Yep, they are pretty good, but you have to get some new clamps and expand the crossover pipe a little.

I got mine $215 shipped. Besides, needing some new C lamps and gaskets they can't be beat for this price. The GP guys swear by them.

They will fit the Fiero without cutting the trunk, if you cut off the flex pipe, see pic on my last post.

However, you really want to run a CAT converter or resonator PLUS a real muffler on a 3800SC to kill the awful sounding rasp.

Awesome, gonna order. They're so pretty, too bad I'm gonna wrap em up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 06-30-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

I just installed a new ZZP Power Log and had all my mandrel bends, tips and Magnaflow 3" in and 2 2-1/2" out muffler delivered from Summit and I'm still considering buying them.......

U R good to go. The stock manifolds + Plog are not restrictive. It's when you get down to the 3.0 pulley range and are NOT using e85 then the Headers are highly recommended.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

U R good to go. The stock manifolds + Plog are not restrictive. It's when you get down to the 3.0 pulley range and are NOT using e85 then the Headers are highly recommended.

I might get to the 3.0 or lower eventually, we don't have e85 around here so should I just pick up the p-log instead and save some money?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess that speed daddy's out, they want almost $300 just in shipping to canada and bout $180 to my American addy in hyder. That and they said it's almost a couple month wait, I don't do business that way.

------------------

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess that speed daddy's out, they want almost $300 just in shipping to canada and bout $180 to my American addy in hyder. That and they said it's almost a couple month wait, I don't do business that way.

Must be a Canada thing as I got mine $215 shipped from ebay. A plog will work just fine and it will make the exhaust setup a little easier. Just make sure you get a 3" mandrel bend so you can run a 3.4 pulley.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Must be a Canada thing as I got mine $215 shipped from ebay. A plog will work just fine and it will make the exhaust setup a little easier. Just make sure you get a 3" mandrel bend so you can run a 3.4 pulley.

What kind of mandrel bend(degree). And where does it go?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

------------------

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The modular Y pipe style headers are much more flexible for fiero installs.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hard to believe they want that much from CA to BC. I don't even want to ask how much they would charge to Ontario.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 07-31-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Had to believe they want that much from CA to BC. I don't even want to ask how much they would change to Ontario.

That was on their website, when I called them they said they don't ship to canada. So that's when I got a quote to Alaska.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up stumbling on an add for a brand new set of headers from a dude in Ontario. So I'm in the process of checking fit and yeah there needs to be about an inch to be cut out for clearance. But there's another problem, the bottom of the v band at the flex pipe is pretty much at the bottom of the trunk. Now if I add a double j there to split the exhaust it will be down a lot lower and look hideous. I guess my only option is to cut off the flex and weld my double j there.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess my only option is to cut off the flex and weld my double j there.

Look at my above post again as I pretty much said that is what you need to do...
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I seen that. I would have liked to have kept the flex for it's purpose. But yeah I was thinking of welding on a v band to help with the install and what not and weld the other half of the v band for the exhaust splitter.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my eastwood hi temp internal header coating arrived. I'm planning on throwing them in the oven in my garage to make sure they cure good. Generally how much cooler will the underhood temps be this way vs wrapping them? I have the wrap from wrapping the stock headers but with these being stainless, I don't want to wrap these pretty things unless I absolutely have to.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got a chance to get on the headers today. I cut the flex off and added the v band there. Even with that I had to cut the trunk, I was thinking of repairing it with sheet metal but I think I'm going to brace it and put a new floor pan in at the height that I had to cut. That way I still have about half the trunk I had but that will be a winter project. I'm worried about the heat that's going to be comming from the rear header. It's extremely close to the cabin wall and all the wires, fuel lines and coolant lines. What do y'all suggest? The heat shields that were on the manifolds don't fit on the headers. Should I just go ahead and wrap them? I would rather leave them as I like the colour of stainless after it's heated.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock