So I started tightening everything up in the front end so I can get it set back on wheels. With the upper and lower ball joints Im worried I tightened them too tight. I got ahead of myself and tightened them down then I went back and checked the manual for torque specs(I know should have done that first) and the torque isn't that high for these bolts. Should I just leave it or redo it. The main thing Im worried about is messing up the spindles.
On such a critical component, it's always better to remove the nut, check that you haven't distorted the threads by over-tightening, then re-torque to proper specs. No need to pop them and start over, just re-tighten the nuts properly once you've assured yourself that the threads are OK. If you have bungled the threads, then there's a good chance you won't be able to achieve the proper torque at all.
The torque spec is important, BUT you need to torque the ball joints to the recommended value, then tighten whatever amount to align the slots in the castle nut to the hole in the ball joint stud, then insert the cotter pin.
[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 06-29-2014).]
Sounds like the threads on either the nut or the stud have galled. I'd back it off again and have another careful look. It's possible you did the damage the first time around and now it's showing up as you attempt to tighten it a second time.
I replaced the upper nuts because they looked bad but the lower ones looks fine. I am doing the half turn using a shorter 3/8 ratchet because its easier to get in there. I could use a longer ratchet but these are new rodneys lowering ball joints and I don't want to mess them up.
Another attempt and they are not gonna go any farther without a lot of force. It would be nice if they gave us a better torque figure. 26# and half turn. It could well be 100# by the time you get a half turn.