Idling woes by wayneman
Started on: 06-28-2014 10:49 AM
Replies: 7 (305 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 07-07-2014 03:50 AM
wayneman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 GT Standard……replaced fuel filter, and IAC valve. Cleaned the throttle body. That pretty much took care of the crazy idle hunting; however the idle is still wavering between 900-1000 RPMs. Also slight lag or hesitation when accelerating through 3500 RPMs.

Shouldn't the car idle at 600 RPMs?

Why the lag?

Care has 29,200 original miles on it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the 88 FSM, normal idle speed for the 2.8l engine is 900 RPM in neutral and 800 RPM in gear for the auto trans and 900 RPM for a manual trans.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the 900-1000 rpm is normal. The lag is not, but it may take some work to find out why. Bad electrical contacts, mechanical problem, dirty injectors...etc.

edit: Can you help me understand what an 'original' mile is?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-28-2014).]

wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Yes, the 900-1000 rpm is normal. The lag is not, but it may take some work to find out why. Bad electrical contacts, mechanical problem, dirty injectors...etc.

edit: Can you help me understand what an 'original' mile is?

What I meant was no rebuild, unmolested, thats all. Thanks for your reply!
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to pull your distributor cap and inspect the rotor and inner terminals. If you plug wires are original they may be breaking down from age. Also check all your rubber vacuum lines and connections to see if any are dry rotted or split.
wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks Rick88. I was thinking the same so i ordered a cap and rotor. Wires are red, so not original. will check vac lines. plugs are new also. very clean. also ordered a coil.
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its the coil. I replaced the distributor and rotor, wires and plugs and still had this problem. It would lag at certain speed and and almost seem to hesitate at times. Looks like the new coil fixed the issue

[This message has been edited by marc-alan (edited 07-06-2014).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't hurt to clean up the ground wires on the engine, especially the big one on the battery side.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock