Ever thought about 3800 twin turbo? by Drifter_GTR
Started on: 06-27-2014 02:04 PM
Replies: 20 (680 views)
Last post by: Drifter_GTR on 06-29-2014 02:40 PM
Drifter_GTR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I the first Chinese kid in this forum? Anyway I just entered this amazing world of Fieros as I got my first car as an 87 GT, It was pretty beaten but I managed to make it cool. I haven't work on any cars before as I just came from China and the labor back there is DIRT CHEAP. U can get everything taken care of for like 100 bucks for a car. So I got here, realized that shops want 150/hr for labor and a exhaust manifold gasket takes 8 hours, decided to work stuff on my own. I gotta say Fieros are bad bad choice to learn how to work on cars as its unique design. And after 8 months of working on and off, It finally runs smooth but I created TONS of new problem as I am such an idiot with 0 experiences. Broke all the clips trying to take off the plastic pieces holding the headliner, broke the door trying to install new window seals, fried wires when trying to put new speakers so now only the right rear speaker actually works and fuses popping like a party. But what's important is i fell in love with this car and after ruined mine, I found this forum. So I got this deal on craigslist about an 88 T-top with blowed engine. I bought it and trying to do something even more insane.
So I have a plan swapping a 3800 in the Fiero and put twin turbos on it. The engine I got is a L26 from 07 Grand Prix, the concern I have right now is do I have to order new crank shafts, piston heads, connecting rods and all kinds of stuff for the extra boost coming from twin turbos and where can I get them. Those turbos I got are Precision 6262 rated as over 700 horsepower. It's definitely too big for 3800s but I got this cheap deal on craigslist and just couldn't let it go XD. What do u guys think I should do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i know the 3900 has been done TT, and im sure *someone* has done it to the 3800, but the reason most go single turbo is the limited room, look between the firewall and the engine, where ya gona put that thing? youre looking at alot more fab work and trying to find a way to fit everything with twins, when you can get the same performance out of a properly sized single turbo... got 3800 turbo guys running in the 10's (other supporting mods ofcourse) and depending what you wana do, and how deep your pockets are, i wouldnt count that turbo out :P
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if we had a Chinese kid before. I hosted a 16 yo from Guangzhou and a 14 yo from that other Chinese country Hong Kong this last school year. The 14 yo is coming back this next school year.

I really don't understand the economics of China when somethings are extremely expensive (housing in the big city) and when somethings are extremely inexpensive.

How much boost do you expect out of the turbos?

Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I don't know if we had a Chinese kid before. I hosted a 16 yo from Guangzhou and a 14 yo from that other Chinese country Hong Kong this last school year. The 14 yo is coming back this next school year.

I really don't understand the economics of China when somethings are extremely expensive (housing in the big city) and when somethings are extremely inexpensive.

How much boost do you expect out of the turbos?

Those turbos are qualified for 14 PSI each but I have no idea about how to set it up. Just got this idea, doing step by step and see how far I can go
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait for it...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want twin turbos bear in mind that Forum member Darkhorizon has run a 10 second 1/4 mile with a single turbo. I guess a twin turbo 3800 has been done before but the age old question comes up; how fast do you want to go?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drifter_GTR:

So I have a plan swapping a 3800 in the Fiero and put twin turbos on it. The engine I got is a L26 from 07 Grand Prix, the concern I have right now is do I have to order new crank shafts, piston heads, connecting rods and all kinds of stuff for the extra boost coming from twin turbos and where can I get them. Those turbos I got are Precision 6262 rated as over 700 horsepower. It's definitely too big for 3800s but I got this cheap deal on craigslist and just couldn't let it go XD. What do u guys think I should do?

Don't use the L26 as they are NOT up to the task. Use a L32, L67, or L36. Also, sell one of the 6262 and use the other one.
Search this Forum for and Grand prix forums for more info on a Turbo 3800.
You can get a 10 sec car relatively easy with properly sized turbo and the supporting mods.
The main problem with two turbos in a Fiero is space. Where are you going to put all those pipes.
Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Don't use the L26 as they are NOT up to the task. Use a L32, L67, or L36. Also, sell one of the 6262 and use the other one.
Search this Forum for and Grand prix forums for more info on a Turbo 3800.
You can get a 10 sec car relatively easy with properly sized turbo and the supporting mods.
The main problem with two turbos in a Fiero is space. Where are you going to put all those pipes.

I did some search about 3800 engines and did not find the reason l26s doesn't hold horsepower(lame). Stupid as me I just thought it will be easier if I have an intake manifold to turbo it :P Can u explain a bit about why l26s cannot hold the power? And since I already had the engine, is rebuilding it going to help? Thank u!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drifter_GTR:

I did some search about 3800 engines and did not find the reason l26s doesn't hold horsepower(lame). Stupid as me I just thought it will be easier if I have an intake manifold to turbo it :P Can u explain a bit about why l26s cannot hold the power? And since I already had the engine, is rebuilding it going to help? Thank u!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-115323.html

Do use the L26 aluminum intake manifold
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought some Firebird and/or Grand National guys had built twin turbo 3800's.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I thought some Firebird and/or Grand National guys had built twin turbo 3800's.

firebird had alot more room in the engine bays if your talking the 95 or newer ones... if your mean the odler ones, the 3.8 from the GN was a different beast.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. a 3.8 GN was a whole different engine. (Looked into it a long time ago). The reason to use a L67 Supercharged engine as a stating point is ,they Already HAVE a" Forged" Crank, Rods, & Pistons. If you have to first go buy these parts, it's going to get Real expensive Immediately .
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The question still remains, "How do you want to drive your car?"
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 6262 has gone 10.7@131.5 in a 3800 fiero on pump gas. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html

The 6262 should easily make 700 hp on race gas or E85.

L26 is a bad start as you can see in a link posted above. It gave out at around 500whp. There have been other blow up L26's in grand prix's from too much power. Always rod failures. It wouldn't stand a chance with the power i'm making now.
Pick up an L32 or L67 and resell the L26.

Most importantly, horsepower is the easy part. Getting a transmission to hold up will be the biggest challenge.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

if your mean the odler ones, the 3.8 from the GN was a different beast.

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Welcome. a 3.8 GN was a whole different engine. (Looked into it a long time ago).

I've seen at least one GN and one other G-body using a 3800 in lieu of a 3.8.

But otherwise... WAY more space in the engine bay than in a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-28-2014).]

Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

The 6262 has gone 10.7@131.5 in a 3800 fiero on pump gas. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html

The 6262 should easily make 700 hp on race gas or E85.

L26 is a bad start as you can see in a link posted above. It gave out at around 500whp. There have been other blow up L26's in grand prix's from too much power. Always rod failures. It wouldn't stand a chance with the power i'm making now.
Pick up an L32 or L67 and resell the L26.
Most importantly, horsepower is the easy part. Getting a transmission to hold up will be the biggest challenge.

I already got a whole set of piston heads and connecting rods from another guy who sold his car. They're for Series II SC, I'm kind of an OCD and Im gonna rebuild my motor anyway :P The worry I have is the compression ratio, Is is because different camshaft and longer rods that the CR is different with the same block?
Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drifter_GTR

17 posts
Member since Jun 2014

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

The question still remains, "How do you want to drive your car?"

Right now I'm thinking a daily drive style, but by the time i got it running it might be a different story xD
Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drifter_GTR

17 posts
Member since Jun 2014

This is what I got right now :3

Is that gunna secure my L26?
Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drifter_GTR

17 posts
Member since Jun 2014

this should do it... forgive my stupidness

[URL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Drifter_Yue/media/DSC02847_zpsbe910 ca9.jpg.html][/URL]
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked the same questions ages ago (on a different forum), and was told just go single, ,I'm glad I did. it's enough of a headache to do a single turbo build, but a twin build... I'd be bald...
Drifter_GTR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drifter_GTRSend a Private Message to Drifter_GTREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I asked the same questions ages ago (on a different forum), and was told just go single, ,I'm glad I did. it's enough of a headache to do a single turbo build, but a twin build... I'd be bald...

I'm actually thinking about single turbo right now. As other members said, there is simply not enough space to do that.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock