Auto to manual swap wiring issue by iwantarotaryfiero
Started on: 06-27-2014 09:18 AM
Replies: 13 (400 views)
Last post by: no2pencil on 07-09-2014 09:58 AM
iwantarotaryfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iwantarotaryfieroSend a Private Message to iwantarotaryfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi. Installing a zzr v8 crate motor with a getrag 5 speed
Car was originally auto.
Car won't crank over. What do I need to do get signal to the manual tranny? Any wires to swap around?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the pin out for the c500. Auto and manual used different pins for the start signal to the solenoid. Did you wire in a switch on the clutch?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing you need to do is connect the starter wire to C500 A4.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best is to get a GM shop manual and look over all the wiring diagrams. Check on eBay.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Check the pin out for the c500. Auto and manual used different pins for the start signal to the solenoid.

This.
If your engine harness was designed for (or came from) a manual installation, the big purple starter wire is probably in the wrong place.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The only thing you need to do is connect the starter wire to C500 A4.

A clutch switch should be wired into the start circuit to prevent in-gear starting .....

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A clutch switch should be wired into the start circuit to prevent in-gear starting .....

If you're a chick
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Riiiiiight.

You can halfass things or do things the right way.....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-28-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Riiiiiight.

You can halfass things or do things the right way.....

I call this stuff "nannyware". Same with seatbelt/starter interlocks and any number of other things designed to dumb things down so that we don't have to pay attention.

I left the clutch switch off of mine when I converted it. But then I learned to drive on a manual car that didn't have the switch.
I just push in the clutch or take it out of gear, as you're supposed to do, anyway.

Do I recommend that it be done this way? Not really. But I don't call it "half assed" either. It's a choice.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-28-2014).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't have a clutch switch on my 550 horse '66 Nova back in the day either, but I don't think sensible safety features are for 'chicks'....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-29-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you're saying that you think they had to put one if for her?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always uplugged and connected the wires together on my sticks. I have enough brains to know either start in neutral or push the clutch in. I usually always disconnect all the chick stuff myself. Auto door locks, clutch interlock, auto tran interlock, ABS, all dinger and ringers and buzzers I can find. They DONT have ones you SHOULD have like a chime or buzzer when you overheat or lose oil pressure.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I usually always disconnect all the chick stuff myself. Auto door locks, clutch interlock, auto tran interlock, ABS,

A little off topic, but I had a Trail Blazer that got road debris on the ABS sensor. Suddenly a routine stop at a stop sign on a 25mph road became a life or death situation. I've never had a vehicle with 'power breaks' or whatever it was called in the 60's, but this is the first time I've ever had to STAND on the breaks. Stupid break pedal was kicking back on a warm summer day.

A pull of the fuse later stopped that madness. What an un-necessary hazard (imo), & I've never trusted ABS since.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock