Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any source for metric stainless steel hardware?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any source for metric stainless steel hardware? by Gokart
Started on: 06-25-2014 06:39 PM
Replies: 17 (346 views)
Last post by: masospaghetti on 06-27-2014 08:57 AM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having a "panel off" paint job done and as I get the parts back it sure would be nice to replace all of the rusting bolts and screws with stainless. I found a few already by matching up the pitch with templates provided at my local hardware store but I'm having an issue with these!

Theses are the bolts (or lag screws) that hold down the fenders, & rear roof clip. Anyone have any luck with replacements?
Thanks, Marc
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HarryG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that a "captive washer" design?
I'd start with Fastenal (they have local outlets) or McMaster Carr (online only).
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryG:

Isn't that a "captive washer" design?
I'd start with Fastenal (they have local outlets) or McMaster Carr (online only).

I could do with just the right size (pitch) lag screw and then use a stainless steel washer. I was hoping to get what I need locally. I do not have any Fastenal stores around here. If I only knew what the pitch was. Is there any chance some of these bolts are standard? I didn't try them on the standard template when I was at the hardware store this morning. I certainly don't want to force the wrong size in just for the sake of using stainless.

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could measure it?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

You could measure it?

The length would be easy enough but do you mean the number of threads per whatever you're suppose to in order to get the right pitch?

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think the thread pitch is not an issue with this type of screw.
It's not like a machine thread that has to match a nut.
I've used sheet-metal screws for years in places on the car when I couldn't find the originals.
SS sheet-metal screws are common items everywhere.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

I would think the thread pitch is not an issue with this type of screw.
It's not like a machine thread that has to match a nut.
I've used sheet-metal screws for years in places on the car when I couldn't find the originals.
SS sheet-metal screws are common items everywhere.

I'll give a few different sheet metal screws a shot then.
Thanks!

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you insistent on having stainless? That screw does not look to bad for something that has been on a car for 26 or more years. If you want genuine factory fasteners, check out Auveco at https://www.auveco.com/ . I can get any of the Auveco line locally at a specialty fastener shop. If you want factory style replacements do a search for specialty fastener shops in your area and call them to ask if they carry Auveco.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
McMaster.com has lots of stainless steel hardware. They also have cad drawings for most of the bolts so you can compare them to the one you have.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Are you insistent on having stainless? That screw does not look to bad for something that has been on a car for 26 or more years. If you want genuine factory fasteners, check out Auveco at https://www.auveco.com/ . I can get any of the Auveco line locally at a specialty fastener shop. If you want factory style replacements do a search for specialty fastener shops in your area and call them to ask if they carry Auveco.

Good point about the age and how good they look. I have quite a few that are worse but I'll check into that company.
Thanks for your advice.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99

Originally posted by fieroguru:

McMaster.com has lots of stainless steel hardware. They also have cad drawings for most of the bolts so you can compare them to the one you have.

Thanks....I'll check them too!
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on winging it with stainless sheet metal screws and not worrying too much about pitch or even size

also +1 on that one doesn't look too bad

I took the tub out of my SE and got stainless bolts, but there were no stainless speed washers so I just got regular. Slightly larger stainless screws might be better than the original back in the same holes.
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

I'll give a few different sheet metal screws a shot then.
Thanks!

In the same boat. I was going down blast and powder coat mine, but let me know if you find something in SS.

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

In the same boat. I was going down blast and powder coat mine, but let me know if you find something in SS.

Will do and I have thought of just refurbishing mine but I like the look of stainless. In have the car parts painted silver steel metallic so the color contrast would look really nice.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I buy the Black Oxide finish screws and bolts by the box at NAPA.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found my local ACE Hardware carries many stainless steel screws, bolts etc.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to Auveco, Clips and Fasteners http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/ is a good source of automotive fasteners. There's also the Bolt Depot at http://www.boltdeot.com I don't know what they have in regard to stainless, but they're a good supplier with a large variety.

I've heard of Totally Stainless, but I know nothing about them. http://www.totallystainless.com/

If you have a PDF of the P22 Fiero Parts Book, you can identify the size and pitch of all your fasteners. Just remember that stainless fasteners don't have the strength of steel automotive fasteners and should never be used for critical high stress points.

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more vote for McMaster...I've bought a bunch of hardware from them for my LX9 swap, they have great selection of metric fasteners.

The price is also right, often can get 100 metric 12.9 bolts for the price of 10 grade 8.8 bolts from the local hardware store.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock