Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84 2.5 Cyl went kaput....What could cause it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
84 2.5 Cyl went kaput....What could cause it? by johnyrottin
Started on: 06-25-2014 11:56 AM
Replies: 14 (186 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 06-26-2014 12:12 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving home last night I was sitting in traffic and the car died as if the key was turned off. No warning, no indications just died. Doesn't turn over but the hazards and lights work. I haven't had time yet to start trouble shooting but I was going to start with the fuse block and then try to get eyes on the fusible link.
Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have been on the forum for years and years, so I assume you know how to check the ignition components. Usually when a Fiero dies like that it's the ICM, but not necessarily.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ignition module comes to mind.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or the cam gear has chucked a few teeth...............

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get a chance (work) to go out and start troubleshooting yet. It is weird though. I assumed when an ICM went it would still turn over but not start. This thing literally quit like someone had turned off a key. No loud bangs or anything...just shut off. Heading over now to see if lights and other things work. I am wondering about the fusible links or a ground wire. Just thought I would ask the incredibly knowledgeable before I get in there with my ten thumbs.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Or the cam gear has chucked a few teeth...............

it would crank over... and the gear usually just strips entirely (fiber gear)....

Been there, done that.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh...you are saying the starter does not function. OK...check fusable links at the starter.......disconnect the battery first.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would the fusible link failing look like a melted wire???
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has extra thick insulation to prevent the melted wire from getting out....they usually discolor if they are melted.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could also be the ignition switch. Someone else on here just had a similar problem and it was the ignition switch gone bad.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the red battery cable ground out on my exhaust manifold once. It occurred just like this. Car just stopped. The manifold melted the cover and then the bare wire touched the manifold. I tied off the new cable to the fire wall, and had to scrounge a new exhaust manifold, because mine had a nice hole in it after this.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reread your original post, and it does sound like the infamous 1984 fusible link failure. On the 84's, there are two or three fusible links hooked up to the large terminal on the starter. They sit in a high heat environment right above the cat. If one goes bad, you'll loose power to part of the car. If the link insulation looks crispy, then it has failed. One more "84 only" deal...........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bingo!

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I had the red battery cable ground out on my exhaust manifold once. It occurred just like this. Car just stopped. The manifold melted the cover and then the bare wire touched the manifold. I tied off the new cable to the fire wall, and had to scrounge a new exhaust manifold, because mine had a nice hole in it after this.

Jim

I went to check it out last night and started with the whole trouble shooting process. First Bob and I went through what didn't work...light are good as are dome lights. No wipers, starter, radio, environmental controls, windows....hmmm. So we went in the engine bay and started checking connections on grounds and wires. All looked good. We checked the wiring diagram and it lead back to the ignition. But wait...it could be this wire here. Followed it back down and viola...burnt wire headed to the starter. Looks like melted over time and touched the exhaust manifold. Jumped it with a lead and car started right up. So tomorrow night we will jump it, take it to the house, and sort it out properly. Anyone know off hand what the gauge of wire is on that fusible link that leads to starter?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Bingo!

I went to check it out last night and started with the whole trouble shooting process. First Bob and I went through what didn't work...light are good as are dome lights. No wipers, starter, radio, environmental controls, windows....hmmm. So we went in the engine bay and started checking connections on grounds and wires. All looked good. We checked the wiring diagram and it lead back to the ignition. But wait...it could be this wire here. Followed it back down and viola...burnt wire headed to the starter. Looks like melted over time and touched the exhaust manifold. Jumped it with a lead and car started right up. So tomorrow night we will jump it, take it to the house, and sort it out properly. Anyone know off hand what the gauge of wire is on that fusible link that leads to starter?

This makes me feel good. I've helped someone instead of receiving the help for a change. Just make sure you tie off the cable so it won't happen again. Also check for a hole in your exhaust manifold. When the wire touches, it's just like a welder, and probably put a hole in it.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 06-26-2014).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It did...I figured if I just sort the wire it should short in no time and weld the hole back up!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock