Removing alternator with the bracket? by Rexgirl
Started on: 06-24-2014 03:36 AM
Replies: 9 (375 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-25-2014 09:53 AM
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if this is possible and if so, are there any extra steps required? The lower alternator bolt can be removed and the alternator can swing on the upper bolt. My car is a 1987 SE 2.8.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might want to have a look at This thread.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only took the bracket off with the alternator one time...because the pivot bolt was seized into the alternator. Otherwise why would you want to take off the bracket with it and make the job harder ?
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys. The long top alternator bolt will NOT release from the mounting bracket and it seems easiest to take the bracket out as well since it pivots. It could be possible to deal with the bolt out of the car. The mechanic didn't want to deal with it, so I'm glad there is a way for me to drop it down after removing the tie rod.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to find a another mechanic/shop.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

thanks guys. The long top alternator bolt will NOT release from the mounting bracket and it seems easiest to take the bracket out as well since it pivots. It could be possible to deal with the bolt out of the car. The mechanic didn't want to deal with it, so I'm glad there is a way for me to drop it down after removing the tie rod.

So you take a car in to change an alternator, bolt is stuck, and decides not to deal with it? Or did you have a hard time with it, took it in, then he turned it down? Just curious.

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify, the top bolt is seized to the bracket itself or the alternator? You said the alternator is swinging to I'm assuming if it's seized to something, it's going to be the alternator. FYI, the top bolt does not tap into the alternator bracket, there is a nut that needs to be removed (it's a long bolt) and then the bolt simply slides out (given it's not seized to the alternator) releasing the alternator from the bracket. You may already know this and it is fairly obvious. If you do, I apologize...just wanted to clarify.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-24-2014).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fastblack

3696 posts
Member since Nov 2003
Also, you didn't specify whether your car is an auto or 5-speed. If it's a 5 speed the alternator can be removed fairly easily right out the bottom. That of course is if you're just removing the alternator, if the bracket is coming with, that's a whole different story.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi again, I took my 5 speed car in to have the leaking water pump changed, and with 70 k miles it seemed like a good idea to change the belt and alternator at the same time. The mechanic changed everything but the alternator, saying that the alternator would pivot on the top bolt and the bolt was twisting but wouldn't break free. It's possible he didn't tell the truth (he isn't very honest) and both the alternator and its bracket are stuck to the bolt. The top bolt does not have a nut on the belt side and sticks out about 3/8 inch on the other (transmission) side of the alternator mounting bracket. It seems like a good idea to replace the alternator before it needs work or upgrade it so I don't have problems that may leave me stuck somewhere. Thanks guys, I appreciate all your advice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the long pivot bolt on mine would turn too, but it wouldnt come out because of corrosion. I DID take off the bracket with it then and use a press to push the bolt out. I got a stainless steel bolt the same length from the hardware store, but slightly smaller diameter so it would not happen again. I think you can wiggle it a round enough on any stick shift to get it out the bottom, mine was a 4 spd. Never did one on an automatic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock