my first fiero by rthr2916
Started on: 06-24-2014 02:42 AM
Replies: 10 (293 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-28-2014 11:11 AM
rthr2916

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rthr2916Send a Private Message to rthr2916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello everyone,im new here i just bought a 1988 fiero,4 cylinder automatc,i look forward to keeping it in good running condition and so right now i was just looking for some tips from anyone and what i should expect from it,everything in it is stock aside from the radio,it still has the original everything,only 128000 miles,it starts and runs good and the only known problem i have at the moment is i think on of the radiator hoses may be leaking or something,its leaking near the front of the car

thanks for anything and i look forward to hearing from you guys

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car ! The leak may be coming from a hose or the radiator. The original radiators have a metal center section and plastic side tanks. Over time, the plastic gets brittle and cracks causing a leak. Since you just got the car, i'd recommend re-conditioning the cooling system as a starting point. Check your hoses and find the leak. You can get a new radiator on eBay for less than $200 if you need one. Before you re-fill the system, if you have some extra $$ you can replace the heater core ($40), front and rear radiator caps, and thermostat. If you do all this, you've eliminated about 3/4 of the things that commonly cause cooling system problems (the remaining are water pump, fan switch and temp sensor).

You should use the SEARCH function to learn about your car. There is a TON of info there and you don't have to wait for replies to get your questions answered.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the addiction! That is nice looking car. Be sure and take off the hvac blower motor and check the housing for any leaves and debri that could catch on fire. The car looks very clean but I would check anyway to be on the safe side.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

Very Nice Ride!

It is fun here, it will become your second home.

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
This is just my 2c, first address coolant leak, new hoses if needed, flush and new coolant, Then as your budget permits and Unless recently done, Oil change, trans filter & flush, brake system bleed & flush, check brake pads for remaining thickness, lube all hinges, ....for a start. I do this every time I get a new used vehicle.

There are how to's and write ups on pretty much everything you will need to know here on the forum. I bought my first Fiero in 1985, (owned 14 over the years) and I still learn things here all the time.

Congrats on your purchase, Enjoy
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you SURE it's" Coolant", and not AC "Condensation" ? (will leak on the pass side behind the front right wheel )
rthr2916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rthr2916Send a Private Message to rthr2916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the answers and replies guys,but thats not my biggest problem anymore,one of the heads may be blown,me and my dad are gonna check it out in the next few days,im gonna go and search through the forums for it but if anyone knows any shops or anybody close to or around houston that knows how to work on a fiero let me know please,i really dont want to get rid of this car,i just guess i had a small bit of bad luck,thanks though
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What makes you think head is blown?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

What makes you think head is blown?

Yeah - what he said.
You said one of your 'heads' might be blown. The 4 cylinder has only 1. Headgasket isnt a difficult job if you have a decent set of sockets and combination wrenches. But lets get more details before you rip the car apart.
rthr2916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rthr2916Send a Private Message to rthr2916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it spat up a oil and water mixture into the air filter and was backfiring every time I tried to start it(I only tried three times)
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of places to look for the leak---On the front side of the radiator tank, driver's side where the coolant hose comes in at the top of the radiator. The other is the coolant recovery tank. It might have a crack in it. Also, you may have a false indication of a leak. Look at the top of the recovery tank and see if you have a puddle of coolant on top. If the system is overfilled, it will push coolant out the top of the tank.

By all means, find the source of the escaping coolant and fix it if needed. Rodney Dickman sells most of the needed hoses. You don't want to take a chance of running hot with a Duke engine.

Edit to say that I should have read the whole thread. Sorry for the bad start with your first Fiero. Don't give up on it. This may be the start of something even more enjoyable like an engine upgrade.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-28-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock