Corvette Tail lights by Odin
Started on: 06-22-2014 06:23 PM
Replies: 13 (861 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 07-01-2014 01:56 PM
Odin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 80's Corvette tail lights in a fiberglass panel. My lights have clear centers. Just wondering what everyone else has done to shield the clear from lighting up. There is no separation internally between the red outer and the clear centers. I want to avoid getting tickets for having my clears light up with the red. Any ideas? The lenses do not come apart either they are glued together.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want the centers black there is a transparent paint called Nightshade that you can spray on. Then you can search for a small red reflector disc that you can epoxy in the center. There is a chance that truck supply shops may have all red circular tail light lens' of the right diameter. Look around and you'll be surprised what is available.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you use 4 Back Up lights instead of tail lights ? I'm using "Bubble" lights from that year vette.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I watched ebay and bought a couple sets cheap and ended up with 4 solid red tail lights then sold a good pair of clears,, still have a set of the clears that have a small crack or two.

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

Odin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are 80-82 reverse lights on the inside with 80-82 solid reds as turn signals/ running lights on the outside. The clear centered reverse lights are going to be used for the brake lights. I've managed to use a hole saw to cut the housings open and install a piece of aluminum over the clear to block it out. I'm going to have the lights back in the car tomorrow. Hopefully it works well. A lot of work for what it is though. I guess the work is better than spending 400$ a pop on oem 355 lights for a similar look.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 12-31-2015).]

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
infinitewill, those look great!!! Do you have any pic's of them on the car you could post.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Odin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
infinitewill, nice job! Those look great, just looked at your build. Yours remind me of Yellowstone's but without the clear centers. I got mine back on the car. The aluminum I put in the centers works perfectly to block any light seepage to the clear area, you can't even tell they have that piece in there.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Odin:

infinitewill, nice job! Those look great, just looked at your build. Yours remind me of Yellowstone's but without the clear centers. I got mine back on the car. The aluminum I put in the centers works perfectly to block any light seepage to the clear area, you can't even tell they have that piece in there.

Yellowstone got the idea from me although he went with LEDs and I used analog His car turned out very nice

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 06-23-2014).]

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like someone said, use reflectors. Buy some bigger than you need and then belt sand them until they fit and glue or screw -with tiny screws- them in place .
BTW- a note on drilling plastic, don't use a drill with rake -IE a standard drill bit- use a nail instead as you want to shave the plastic, A normal bit with rake will dig in and chip it all up.

My Vet/Ferrari on custom rear. Oh yeah the len's screw heads are now black and don't stand out anymore also the camera flash really found my reflectors rectangles.

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 06-24-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Or you could do what I did and buy these. They are the same size as the Vette lights and are $10.95USD ea." I'm Definitely going to check those out. if they will fit the standard 5" Hole, that's a DEAL !
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't fit MY panel. I forgot, when I built the panel , I Built In "cups" in the holes with a back to hold the bulbs. ( so all I use is a "Lens".) They look good and the price is good though !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock