V6 Automatic won't shift into gear PICtures included by hcforde
Started on: 06-20-2014 12:11 AM
Replies: 19 (570 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 07-01-2014 07:50 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought this last year and am getting around to looking at it finally to correct the issue. The guy I bought it from said he drove it home, parked it. Then the next morning nothing. It would start(as it does now) but it just will not go into gear. I have not changed the fluid as of yet, I am not totally sure of the issue but I have a clue, I think.

This is what it looks like with the gearshift in park

This is what it looks like with the gearshift all the way back

Is this where the gearshift manually connects to the transmission? Is it possible it is part of the linkage internally that has come loose?

What else could it possibly be? I am not totally sure of what I am looking at.

All assistance appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plastic toothed portion of the cable is supposed to be locked in place. Yours is all the way out in the 1st pic and all the way in in the second pic, so the cable housing is moving and not the cable inside.

Place the shifter in park and then manually move the transmission shift lever to park and push the cable lock back down.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 06-20-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

The plastic toothed portion of the cable is supposed to be locked in place. Yours is all the way out in the 1st pic and all the way in in the second pic, so the cable housing is moving and not the cable inside.

Place the shifter in park and then manually move the transmission shift lever to park and push the cable lock back down.

I will try that when daylight hits. I truly hope that is all it is.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

I will try that when daylight hits. I truly hope that is all it is.

Don't think its gonna be as in the other pic it shows the selectorarm in a gear which means iit's in place..
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Don't think its gonna be as in the other pic it shows the selectorarm in a gear which means iit's in place..

It was popped up so I put it back in place. Unfortunately, it did not work as far as doing what a transmission is suppose to do.

Extended, but no go

Thanks for the good eye though, That will help me in the future along the line somewhere.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That lock doesn't usually pop up on its own so it is possible that the previous owner was messing with it.
So the issue you're having is no forward or reverse? Have you checked fluid level? If the transmission will physically go in and out of park (where the parking pawl disengages and engages so you can't push the car) then the linkage inside the transmission is ok and your problem lies elsewhere.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That lock doesn't usually pop up on its own so it is possible that the previous owner was messing with it.
So the issue you're having is no forward or reverse? Have you checked fluid level? If the transmission will physically go in and out of park (where the parking pawl disengages and engages so you can't push the car) then the linkage inside the transmission is ok and your problem lies elsewhere.

Correct, no forward or reverse.

When you say the problem lies elsewhere exactly what do you mean? In the transmission but not the linkage? Where & how do you begin trouble shooting this?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way the linkage hooks up inside the transmission it would be highly unlikely that anything has come loose. Do you have a factory service manual? There are complete diagnostics in the transmission section. PM me if you don't have one.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the transmission will physically go in and out of park (where the parking pawl disengages and engages so you can't push the car) then the linkage inside the transmission is ok and your problem lies elsewhere.

Yep, it does work at this level also. Is the page below the one you are suggesting?

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. There is also a page that has a hydraulic pressure chart that shows what the pressures should be in the different ranges. Doing the pressure tests may show you where the problem lies. There isn't much else you can do with the transmission in the car.

Did you try the D2 and D1 ranges to see if those work. The direct clutch applies in both D and R but not in D2 and D1. If that clutch was bad, you should still have movement in D2 and D1. Also, a quick test you can do is pull the TV cable all the way out with the trans in gear. By pulling the TV cable all the way out, it will cause the trans pump to go full pressure and you should be able to hear this pressure change.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 06-21-2014).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the car start?
Have a helper hold their foot tight on the brake.
remove the cable at the trans and MANUALY move it to the first click(reverse) then one more to netural, and one more to drive.
If it wants to move in those posistions then the trans is fine, problem lies in the cable.
If it does not move into the gears then it is inside the trans.

CAUTION: The exhaust will get hot! Don't burn yourself.

Best I can do for now....

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 06-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Will the car start?
Have a helper hold their foot tight on the brake.
remove the cable at the trans and MANUALY move it to the first click(reverse) then one more to netural, and one more to drive.
If it wants to move in those posistions then the trans is fine, problem lies in the cable.
If it does not move into the gears then it is inside the trans.

CAUTION: The exhaust will get hot! Don't burn yourself.

Best I can do for now....

The car starts and the motor runs fine. However, when running, no matter whether I put it in any forward gear or reverse it will not engage. If the car is off and I put it in park I can NOT push the car; put it in neutral and it can easily be pushed. The previous owner said it happened suddenly. He drove it home, the next morning and it is like this.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pressure test is the next step
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. There is also a page that has a hydraulic pressure chart that shows what the pressures should be in the different ranges. Doing the pressure tests may show you where the problem lies. There isn't much else you can do with the transmission in the car.

Did you try the D2 and D1 ranges to see if those work. The direct clutch applies in both D and R but not in D2 and D1. If that clutch was bad, you should still have movement in D2 and D1. Also, a quick test you can do is pull the TV cable all the way out with the trans in gear. By pulling the TV cable all the way out, it will cause the trans pump to go full pressure and you should be able to hear this pressure change.

No movement in any gear.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TH125's are super cheap. My transmission parts guy told me they put them in a lot of cars and in my area can be had for under $200. Might be something to consider.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the fluid level yet?

Pull the dipstick on the trany and give it a smell, if it smells like burnt almonds then the trany is toast, reasons could be as simple as low fluid for the problem you describe.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-22-2014).]

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the splines on the pump rotor are stripped. The fast way to check the pump without a guage: after the engine hasn't run for several hours, pull the dipstick before starting the engine and take note of the fluid level(should be over full). Start the engine and recheck the fluid after 20 seconds, if it reads the same as engine offf the pump is not working. This can be repaired with the unit in the car. Pull the side cover and the pump is right there. You need to remove the valve body to change the shaft. Use your manual so you know to put the check balls that are going to fall out. this was a common failure back in the day. We used to go through them like a kid goes through candy on Halloween. I probably still have parts on the shelf if you need them.
Marc
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Have you checked the fluid level yet?

Pull the dipstick on the trany and give it a smell, if it smells like burnt almonds then the trany is toast, reasons could be as simple as low fluid for the problem you describe.

Steve

Smells fine, nice red color. However I did not have time to start it up. The fluid is about 2 inches above the full mark on the dipstick.

Oil is up to the 100 on the dipstick

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 06-24-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Start the engine and recheck the fluid after 20 seconds, if it reads the same as engine offf the pump is not working.
Marc

Will try this as soon as possible.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Sounds like the splines on the pump rotor are stripped. The fast way to check the pump without a guage: after the engine hasn't run for several hours, pull the dipstick before starting the engine and take note of the fluid level(should be over full). Start the engine and recheck the fluid after 20 seconds, if it reads the same as engine offf the pump is not working. This can be repaired with the unit in the car. Pull the side cover and the pump is right there. You need to remove the valve body to change the shaft. Use your manual so you know to put the check balls that are going to fall out. this was a common failure back in the day. We used to go through them like a kid goes through candy on Halloween. I probably still have parts on the shelf if you need them.
Marc

We might have a winner!! with the fluid being so high as shown in the pic above, I checked the trans level on another car I have. I removed a bit over a gallon of fluid to bring it down to the same level as the other Fiero when at rest. I then ran the car and there was no movement in the fluid level. I need to get the car to a place where I can do as you have suggested. Right now it is outside, I guess I could put a tarp under it. I now wonder if the fluid was put in before it stopped working or after?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock