Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fastest windows on a Fiero? A new motor alternative! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fastest windows on a Fiero? A new motor alternative! by Fierobsessed
Started on: 06-19-2014 04:03 PM
Replies: 80 (8383 views)
Last post by: Domtech on 05-18-2017 02:31 PM
3.4Turbo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you are ready to produce put me in for two sets. john
IP: Logged
tigershark

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tigersharkSend a Private Message to tigersharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am interested in the kit. Great idea. Put me down for a set.

------------------
87 coupe sunset orange 5 speed Tenzo RS5
[IMG]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10502148_10100292846689995_6393112987387366648_n.jpg[IMG]

rlndhill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlndhillSend a Private Message to rlndhillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take 2 pairs....

Robert
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm definitely up for a set/kit.

I have Rodney Dickman's power window helpers (sadly, didn't improve my window performance), will that cause any issues? Will I need to take those relays back out?

Thanks!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-...em5d41fb9f8e&vxp=mtr

i look at this auction and wonder if this assembly might be a bolt on replacement any one else?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mmeyer86gt/gtp

3851 posts
Member since Sep 2001
or this for 2 of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pow...em51b2775c11&vxp=mtr

[This message has been edited by mmeyer86gt/gtp (edited 07-17-2014).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also interested, you haven't seen slow until you've seen my passenger side.

Might have to add auto up/down function too, I LOVE this on my Subaru.
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in for 2 sets if you decide to make these
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran into a little snag on testing. The main window channel hits the motor lightly when it passes. It might be a matter of rotating the motor mounting points, or clearancing the channel where it would make contact. But given the tolerances from one car to another, it could be much worse for some. So I'll have to remedy that somehow. I'm a bit slow to do all the testing and install, I have too many life excuses to go around at the moment and this is just not a big priority. I still have to do the passengers side too.

Feel free to make your own mounts, the part numbers are yours for the taking. I still plan on producing a kit, but I can't make any promises as far as a timeline goes. All I can say, is that the combo of course will work wonderfully with relay controlled windows. OEM switches are responsible for a huge part of the speed loss in your windows, and that is a tested and confirmed fact.
Dr.CGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.CGTSend a Private Message to Dr.CGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you want to work in 108 degree garage
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dr.CGT:

I don't think you want to work in 108 degree garage

108 that would be nice at this time, it was 121 today here in Vegas.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update! Though to some it would seem minor to do stub extensions and make brackets... I think I'll just be patient till you have time to get the kinks worked out and keep a check handy for you.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know HOW I missed this thread till now! I bought new motors, new window switches, new regulators, greased everything up, and put it all back together. What did it get me? About a 10 second up / down time for both windows! I am so sick of it, and this seems to be the answer! Please put me down, if you are keeping track of who would want the adapter plates!

jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a kit too! Great job figuring this one out!
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't read page 2...
------------------

[This message has been edited by Jarhead 2m4 (edited 09-04-2014).]

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putme down for a set, OR a cardboard cutout so I can make my own. My Finale has extra dew wipes and takes FOREVER to go up & down. Great job here.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierobsessed any updates on this? I would really like to have a kit for this under my Christmas tree this year!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Just out of curiosity : Is it possible to swap the internals from the faster motor into the stock fiero case. Would that eliminate all the extra items needed? (What exactly makes them faster? Can that piece be swapped)?

Has anyone had a chance to look into this? Are the motors factory sealed? Can parts be interchanged? If they can be dissembled, this would be the end all solution. No brackets to alter, no shims, shaft length problems, no hitting the track going up and down ect.

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Has anyone had a chance to look into this? Are the motors factory sealed? Can parts be interchanged? If they can be dissembled, this would be the end all solution. No brackets to alter, no shims, shaft length problems, no hitting the track going up and down ect.

Too bad it's not that easy. The substitute motor is 3 times the size of the original (thus the greater torque).

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these avaliable yet? I am in dire need of some replacement motors.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it all as i have seen comes down to the worm drive gear on our windows not the speed of the motor. if it was a different gear ratio it would be much faster.... or a different motor. I have held the new motor up side by side with the old fiero window regulator and well you would need to weld some wings on the old regulator and drill some holes to make it fit. I have not seen something easy like a bracket.
PFF
System Bot
jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this thread going anywhere> Are there kits available, even cardboard templates will do?
modsquad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for modsquadSend a Private Message to modsquadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump....Any updates?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierobsessed,

I sure hope to have an update for your excellent upgrade for (our) Fiero slow power window fix. Any positive dates? All us Fiero owners are desperately waiting your power window upgrade!👍😀
Cordially,
kevin
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too am interested!
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry there hasn't been an update on this in ages. I've really been concentrating what little time I've had (since parenthood happened) on trying to get my car back on the road. Good news, is that it drives, and that means It doesn't need much work. I deliberately left the door dissasembled in order to keep me from brushing this project aside. Besides, I only have one side working at the moment.

Until I have the issues resolved, I really shouldn't release a product. But my hands are a bit tied time wise. I appologize for this.

Anyway, as summer either wraps up, or I suddenly find myself having extra time on my hands, I will certainly look towards putting a product out.

But again, I just dont have the time at the moment.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the sheet metal "thing" pictured with the motor here: http://www.autozone.com/col...5456_582947_0_78655/ stub shaft support?

If it is, why not just drill the support a bit and insert a collared bushing (top hat bushing) to extend the "hole" instead of extending the shaft?

Just an idea....but if you know, please reply since I have one of the motors on order.

TIA,
Larry

[This message has been edited by imacflier (edited 09-05-2015).]

CarolinaRigman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing you can say for sure, You REALLY woke up a crowd with this post!!

Great Job!!
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Imac, that is percicely what I did. Drilled it out and put in a bushing. The down side is that it makes it a non reversable modification. And, opens the possibilty that you'll ruin their regulator if you are careless when drilling. So, it's not the most preferable way to go about it. But, it's the logical way.

I had a little time the other day to try to get the window lift channel to clear the motor as it passes by. Some simple grinding made it clear just fine. I'm a bit lucky because I've already drilled out all the rivets in the door and replaced them all with Nylock 1/4 -20 bolts and nuts. Not everyone has that done to their windows, so it might be far more difficult to accomplish that part of the modification should it be necessary.

I did clean and re-grease the tracks while I was at it and the window is fast, and quiet!

I also had talked to sluppy123 who has also sucsessfully done this mod, and says his clears. Should be interesting to see what he came up with to make it happen.

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all who wonder just how hard it is to R&R the motor and regulator, JoseF644 (THANKS, Joe!) posted this a while ago: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-111836.html

FieroObsessed, can you verify that the motor and regulator come out as an assembly? Could you also tell me the size of the bushing you used?

TIA,

Larry
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it definitely has to be removed as an assembly if it has not been out before. They rivited it in. Both the assembly AND the motor. So you're going to have to drill quite a few rivets out. I HIGHLY reccomend going to home depot and getting a bunch of 1/4-20 Nylock nuts, and a handful of 1/2" long 1/4-20 bolts, and some 1-1/4" long 1/4-20 bolts and replacing all of those large aluminum rivets with nuts and bolts. I've done this on a few doors and it makes all the difference in the world. Especially the 4 that are in the window glass!

The bushing, unfortunately It's not something I found, I made it on my lathe, ID was 1/4" and OD, I made 1/2". And drilled out the hole that the shaft used to go through. I suppose there might be something out there that will work.
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Yes, it definitely has to be removed as an assembly if it has not been out before. They rivited it in. Both the assembly AND the motor. So you're going to have to drill quite a few rivets out. I HIGHLY reccomend going to home depot and getting a bunch of 1/4-20 Nylock nuts, and a handful of 1/2" long 1/4-20 bolts, and some 1-1/4" long 1/4-20 bolts and replacing all of those large aluminum rivets with nuts and bolts. I've done this on a few doors and it makes all the difference in the world. Especially the 4 that are in the window glass!

The bushing, unfortunately It's not something I found, I made it on my lathe, ID was 1/4" and OD, I made 1/2". And drilled out the hole that the shaft used to go through. I suppose there might be something out there that will work.

I found (and bought) flanged bushings 1/4" x 1/2" x 5/8" with a 1/16" flange on Ebay for $2.50 each....other sizes available, note that you must send the seller a message to get a quote on specific sizes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120...559971496%26_rdc%3D1

Larry
danscrazymodshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for danscrazymodshopSend a Private Message to danscrazymodshopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody please archive this article so it's on permanent display and doesn't get lost in the forum history. It seems like the kind of upgrade every Fiero owner should do.
Twinn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did these ever get made?
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking at this the last few days. Here is what I see: The Fiero electric motor sits about .750" above the steel area it mounts to on the Fiero stamped steel lift arm assembly. If you mount this aftermarket electric window motor on that same steel area it sits about 1.200" above that steel mounting area. That means the aftermarket motor sits about .450" higher than the Fiero electric motor. Looking at this I found one can probably get this type of aftermarket electric motor to probably mount on the steel arm assembly an additional 0.060" lower. About 1.140" instead of 1.200". So maybe about .190" lower that how Fierobsessed mounted his. He used 1/8" thick steel for his adapter plate.

Going 0.060" lower now puts the aftermarket electric window motor at about 1.140" compared to the OEM which is 0.750". About .390" higher but lower than mounting it on a 1/8 steel plate which makes it sit at about 1.328" which caused the channel to hit it. You also have to watch the mesh of the spur gear to the stamped steel gear plate the spur gear drives. This 0.060" lower mounting still provides a good height for the spur gear to sit against the stamped steel large gear plate. Going lower (which is probably not possible) would make the large gear want to hit the rubber seal under the spur gear.

The biggest problem is the Fiero electric window motor is lower than these aftermarket motors because it uses an intermediate gear in the stamped steel housing assembly allowing the motor to sit farther away from the large stamped steed gear and at a lower height.

So with the aftermarket motor installed at it's absolute lowest possibly mounting height it still sits about .390" higher than the Fiero OEM electric window motor. Fierobsessed has his mounted at about 1.328". The lowest it can be made to mount on the steel plate is probably about 1.140". So if this additional .190" clearance makes it clear the bracket Fierobsessed says his hit this aftermarket electric window motor idea could be possible.

If some could measure the clearance they have between the factory GM original electric window motor and the channel that passes by it one could see if there is enough room to install these aftermarket electric window motors. That gap would need to be about 0.200" minimum or more.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 10-22-2015).]

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

It looks like he used 3/16" thick aluminum for his adapter plate?

Rodney,

FieroObsessed used 1/8" steel plate.

Larry
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change my post above to reflect the 1/8" steel plate thickness.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have virtually non-existent movement in my windows so waiting for either of you to come out with a kit. Add in the relays for good measure would be my recommendation.
Bob2112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bob2112Send a Private Message to Bob2112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierobsessed,
It has been awhile since you have been working on your 'faster window project'. Any news on ordering up a complete set? Please say yes......
Cordially,
kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 05-18-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave